#9 - Solo Challenge [May 2023] ENDED

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
montybojangles

#9 - Solo Challenge [May 2023] ENDED

Post by montybojangles »

The May solo challenge is now active. It's a tough one: it is to play the Bal T'aks versus the automa of the month, the Taklons (you must select the 'Automa of the month' button), on the Fixed map. Check that the seed in the automa score panel is 16829424. It is important that you read the “Rules“ section for more details, especially if the seed is not 16829424.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert, this challenge is for you. The goal is simple: have fun and get a high score in solo mode. Thanks to the BGA set-up, you can easily compare your score, watch replays of other players and learn different ways of playing a faction. Play serenely at your leisure: there is no timer pressure!

Thank you to the many players who reported scores for the last challenge, and to others that tried it. Well done Kespie, who topped the scores!

There's elite rank for the top 5 players and cadet rank for everyone else.

Image Image Image

1st step: Create a new table. Select “training mode“ on the Game Mode tab and “Fixed map” on the Game setup tab. Choose 1 player and click on “Start game”. Select the red box Automa of the month (Taklons).
2nd step: Select the difficulty you think you can handle.
3rd step: Select the faction Bal T'aks. Check that the seed is 16829424 (in the player score panel). If it isn't, start again using the alternative starting method (below).
4th step: Play the game. Post your score(s), mentioning the chosen difficulty (see the format below).

Alternative starting method: Start the game with Fixed map selected >> Choose the Taklons faction card (as you would for a normal game) >> Set the custom seed (16829424 for this challenge), which is next to the heading 'Choose Automa Difficulty Level', and Select the Automa difficulty >> Choose Bal T'aks.

Players usually insert the link of their game (you can find it on your profile – tab (x) games played) and mention which tech tracks and other actions have been crucial for them (e.g. terraforming).

Ideally, use this format: YourNickname Score vs AutomaLevel Score – LinkOfTheGame – Techs focus – YourComment (e.g. : Marcus Aurelius 222 vs Ultoma 165 – www.boardgamearena.com/game=12345 – focus on Science and Terraforming until mid-game).

Have fun!
Last edited by montybojangles on 01 June 2023, 10:20, edited 11 times in total.
kespie

Re: #9 - Solo Challenge [May 2023] ACTIVE

Post by kespie »

First try: Kespie 191 vs 124 Automa - https://boardgamearena.com/8/gaiaprojec ... =372791522 - Gaia, Sci, Terra, AI.
montybojangles

Post by montybojangles »

Kespie, thank you for being the first to post a score, with impressive research and tech points.

My trial run-through was a disappointing 142 vs Automächtig 145 :(
kespie

Post by kespie »

A little better: kespie 200 - 167 Ultoma - https://boardgamearena.com/8/gaiaprojec ... =373398788 - Gaia, Terra (adv tech+top), Sci (top+adv tech), AI. Can probably be done a lot better still. By the way, this was already after 6-8 tries, all other tries were below my initial one...

@Montybojangles, can you maybe link to the May challenge from the homepage again? :) Then I think more people will notice the new challenge!
montybojangles

Post by montybojangles »

kespie wrote: 03 May 2023, 14:37 @Montybojangles, can you maybe link to the May challenge from the homepage again? :) Then I think more people will notice the new challenge!
One of the admins has now done it (I'm not an admin).
Naminu

Post by Naminu »

I'm not in the league of kespie, but here's my try: https://boardgamearena.com/3/gaiaprojec ... =374008692
Naminu 140 - Ultoma 173. Gaia (top), AI (adv tech+top), some points from Gaia tech tile, did horrible in final scoring and booster tiles, but built all three top buildings in the last round and got three federations.

Update 080523:
Improved with a few points: Naminu 148 - Ultoma 170 Gaia (adv tech+top), Terra (top), some points from the Gaia tech tile. Shared 1. and 2 on end game scoring. Most points come from federations.
Last edited by Naminu on 08 May 2023, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
montybojangles

Post by montybojangles »

Naminu wrote: 05 May 2023, 11:41 I'm not in the league of kespie
Nor am I: montybojangles 164 vs Automa 130 - https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=374011004 - gaia, sci/terraforming. (Note to self: don't forget Bal T'aks academy action is 4 credits. Note to self 2: calculate satellites more carefully.)

Thanks for posting! Going up AI rather than gaia seems a less efficient way of obtaining qics. I was tempted by the 3ore advanced tech.

Scores reported.
Zedseayou

Post by Zedseayou »

Managed 154 to automa 170. Never learned automa rules (and still haven't...). I'll probably have to read them more carefully to understand how it makes moves (is it deterministic ish? can you know e.g. if you're going to get power?), but also definitely mistakes to clean up. Went up terra then gaia and just managed third fed, but could only tie on satellites. A couple fun things this time around were taking the 4c academy to open and enable mine spam, since I was only doing 2 tracks. Also gives more stall turns to get jump booster. Didn't gaiaform much, hard to get the tokens early since I went terra first. Still didn't get to use QIC actions that much since I needed them for jumps, was really tempted to take the fed tile and build PI but that always feels so rough. No adv tech either, I wanted to get up terra and take the one there but didn't manage it.

https://boardgamearena.com/1/gaiaprojec ... =374344942
montybojangles

Post by montybojangles »

Zedseayou wrote: 06 May 2023, 00:14 Never learned automa rules ... (is it deterministic ish? can you know e.g. if you're going to get power?)
There are some videos of solo playthroughs of the board game that demonstrate the automa quite well. It's usually not possible to know exactly what the automa will do next, but you can use what will become the support card for clues: for example, to see that if the automa covers a power/qic action, which one it will be.
Zedseayou wrote: 06 May 2023, 00:14 I wanted to get up terra and take the one there but didn't manage it.
I saw you head up terra when watching the replay and thought you would take it. The beauty of the solo challenge/automa of the month is that it is easy to start again with the same set-up and refine your moves - and see how other players have attempted it.

Score list updated. It's a quiet month so far. Are the Bal T'aks unpopular?
dingostar

Post by dingostar »

Hello,

Not a big score but i managed to win (133-124)

https://boardgamearena.com/9/gaiaprojec ... =374688456

Cheers

Thomas

Return to “Gaia Project”