Premium subscription price update (June 1st)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Epideme

Re: Premium subscription price update (June 1st)

Post by Epideme »

lordalx wrote: 10 May 2023, 16:40
Epideme wrote: 10 May 2023, 10:51 The email to me was wrong (it didn't reflect how much I currently pay annually or monthly yet presented it as though it did and the link to support didn't work) and I do hope it wasn't the "dedicated email" that those who were locked in will be receiving.
The mail don't tell how much you paid, but what is the increase for yearly and monthly subscribtion, for each country/currency. That what was expected by the dedicated email.
Thanks for reporting the wrong link to support, this should have been fixed in some way by now.
Thank you for clarifying that you still don't understand what a "dedicated email" telling me what the price increase is means. The email (much like your reply) is riddled with errors and incorrect statements.

I've now cancelled my premium subscription (so it won't "auto-renew" in July as it did last time when I hadn't used it for 3 months), and I doubt I'll be the last to do so. Of course, I don't rule out taking out a subscription at some point in the future, but frankly the way this has been handled leaves a bitter taste in the mouth; whether I'll even use the site again in the future (even free or during my current premium) is questionable.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Epideme wrote: 12 May 2023, 14:17
lordalx wrote: 10 May 2023, 16:40
Epideme wrote: 10 May 2023, 10:51 The email to me was wrong (it didn't reflect how much I currently pay annually or monthly yet presented it as though it did and the link to support didn't work) and I do hope it wasn't the "dedicated email" that those who were locked in will be receiving.
The mail don't tell how much you paid, but what is the increase for yearly and monthly subscribtion, for each country/currency. That what was expected by the dedicated email.
Thanks for reporting the wrong link to support, this should have been fixed in some way by now.
Thank you for clarifying that you still don't understand what a "dedicated email" telling me what the price increase is means. The email (much like your reply) is riddled with errors and incorrect statements.

I've now cancelled my premium subscription (so it won't "auto-renew" in July as it did last time when I hadn't used it for 3 months), and I doubt I'll be the last to do so. Of course, I don't rule out taking out a subscription at some point in the future, but frankly the way this has been handled leaves a bitter taste in the mouth; whether I'll even use the site again in the future (even free or during my current premium) is questionable.
Unless some meaning was lost in translation, i understand "dedicated" as meaning that this specific email was only for talking about this subject, not something else, and that it conveys exactly the information they wanted to provide which was the global increase for everyone.
Now maybe you were talking about a potential "personnalized" email that would contains the information about how much you personally pay currently. No such email were sent or announced so far as i know.

Not sure what are his answers errors and incorrect statements though, care to elaborate ?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

User Already Exists wrote: 11 May 2023, 01:34
Jiffs wrote: 10 May 2023, 02:11
mbillard wrote: 09 May 2023, 14:47 I agree that the price is still very good, but this is from your previous FAQ about the last raise:

as long as you do not cancel your membership

I have to say that BGA was a company that I trusted and now you are going back on your word. If you make a statement like that to guarantee people keep subscribing and then go back on what you said, it is dishonorable.

You get even worse by blaming the mistake on a your "Italian translator"

I've already paid up, but I'm not sure you'll be getting my business come the next renewal.
In fairness, although BGA is run by French people who don't always speak English perfectly, the phrase "as long as" has a dictionary definition, and it means "provided that" or "inasmuch as". https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 0long%20as At the time it was written, I did read the original sentence the way it was apparently intended: They would raise the prices on November 1, 2021, but the prices of existing subscribers would not be raised on November 1, provided that they do not cancel their subscription prior to November 1. Incidentally, had the phrase been "for as long as", the meaning would have been entirely different, namely a promise that they would never raise the price for existing subscribers at all, ever, in the future.
Thanks for pointing it out the difference between a necessary condition for not being targeted by the previous increase, and a promise that the price would never go up forever.
I mean i only know couple of services that do such promises (nextcloud for instance) and it's advertised a lot and written everywhere, and also in their terms and conditions. If that was the promise, it would have been made more clear and probably emphasized a lot : "lifetime subscription price, join us now !!!"
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

I think it is a bit awkward that they don't even mention in their announcement / email that the increase for many is from 24 to 36. It unnecessarily sounds like they want to hide that the 24 price exists.
And if you always just extended your subscription without reading forums or announcements, you are surprised that the regular price is 30, so it is at least weird. The increase from 30 to 36 just doesn't apply to many players, it is an increase from 24 to 36. It's still good value for money and from a business perspective, it makes total sense.

As to those who thought the 24 price will hold forever, I don't know, I can only laugh at that.
No 39

Post by No 39 »

Everyone who plays on this site should have to pay some sort of subscription fee.
bhfred1

Post by bhfred1 »

You won't be getting my money, * has better games and it's FREE!

*moderator edit: naming other gaming websites specifically is not permitted
CascadeHush

Post by CascadeHush »

Lud45 wrote: 09 May 2023, 22:50 Whatever we have 300 or 750 game choice's, we won't playing all game at once. So that's not a good reason to raise price. It is good to have choice because better choice you have, larger community you will got.
It seems to me the quantity and quality of game releases has gone up dramatically compared to when I first started paying. As a value prospect it's hard to beat. For the price of roughly one physical game you get access to hundreds. The service is definitely better value for money than ever. Anybody who doesn't want to pay can play for free anyway.
CascadeHush

Post by CascadeHush »

No 39 wrote: 12 May 2023, 22:19 Everyone who plays on this site should have to pay some sort of subscription fee.
The problem that this site and every online game or social network has to solve is that you need a critical mass of users to make it worthwhile. But if you rely solely on people who pay, you'll often not get that critical mass. Hence there is almost always a free tier to get people in.
No 39

Post by No 39 »

CascadeHush wrote: 15 May 2023, 06:17
No 39 wrote: 12 May 2023, 22:19 Everyone who plays on this site should have to pay some sort of subscription fee.
The problem that this site and every online game or social network has to solve is that you need a critical mass of users to make it worthwhile. But if you rely solely on people who pay, you'll often not get that critical mass. Hence there is almost always a free tier to get people in.
This site has a multitude of players because it's FREE; however, neither is it fair or acceptable that those already paying should have to pay even more.

What would happen if everyone stopped paying?
Lud45

Post by Lud45 »

No 39 wrote: 15 May 2023, 19:59 What would happen if everyone stopped paying?
If everyone stop webserver will down and close site;
If 1/3 stop: raising will so high that will be even more than old price;
If 1/2 stop: i think that will be hard but... not enouph to back because too much player will not register again

Return to “Official announcements [en]”