FILTER THE GAME RESEARCH BASED ON THE 4 PARAMETERS: Complexity, Strategy, Luck, Interaction

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
cigma

Re: FILTER THE GAME RESEARCH BASED ON THE 4 PARAMETERS: Complexity, Strategy, Luck, Interaction

Post by cigma »

Romain672 wrote: 06 May 2023, 04:41 the complexity of effects (Yahtzee has none so 0...)
Hm, I think the range for each parameter is 1-5, so 0 is not possible? Or does anyone know a game rated with 0 in any category?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
ChiefPointThief

Re: FILTER THE GAME RESEARCH BASED ON THE 4 PARAMETERS: Complexity, Strategy, Luck, Interaction

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Romain672 wrote: 06 May 2023, 04:41 About complexity, it would be possible to do a list of things to look at. Per example: number of page of the rules (outside of variants)
Complexity is probably the most subjective of the 4. This would be extremely helpful though. Typically I don’t want to read 20+ pages of rules to play a game. Wish this was available before I started All Round League :) .
cigma

Post by cigma »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 06 May 2023, 08:32
Romain672 wrote: 06 May 2023, 04:41 About complexity, it would be possible to do a list of things to look at. Per example: number of page of the rules (outside of variants)
Complexity is probably the most subjective of the 4. This would be extremely helpful though. Typically I don’t want to read 20+ pages of rules to play a game. Wish this was available before I started All Round League :) .
For those who are interested: Here's what Boargamegeek has to say about it: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/ratings and https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Weight#

Yes, there is a lot to consider, but in the end it's more of a gut decision of people who know a wide range of games. You can't and don't need to calculate it up to "the number after the decimal point".
All in all that's what it's all about: "BGG uses a 5-point Weight scale: Light (1), Medium Light (2), Medium (3), Medium Heavy (4), Heavy (5)" That's pretty much the same as we have here on BGA.

I think it were best if our community could vote for the rating of all games here, but this seems a bit unrealistic at the moment ;)

You also have to decide whether to evaluate the base game or the game including expansions. I would prefer the base game version as a benchmark.
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

cigma wrote: 06 May 2023, 07:51Hm, I think the range for each parameter is 1-5, so 0 is not possible? Or does anyone know a game rated with 0 in any category?
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=justone
But I was talking about differents category. Having a rating of 0 on one of those criteria would be fine since it would just reduce the average of all ratings.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Romain672 wrote: 06 May 2023, 23:30
cigma wrote: 06 May 2023, 07:51Hm, I think the range for each parameter is 1-5, so 0 is not possible? Or does anyone know a game rated with 0 in any category?
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=justone
But I was talking about differents category. Having a rating of 0 on one of those criteria would be fine since it would just reduce the average of all ratings.
Thank you for your example, Romain 672.

So we have to assume that the given range is from 0 to 6, with 0 being the lowest? Anyhow, I am still in doubt if 0 should be used, as well as comma numbers (which both are used on very few games). I regret we don't have an official statement on the range to use and an overall definiton of the parameters!
#StandWithUkraine
cigma

Post by cigma »

Whatever the definiton and the ranges are, they only make sense in comparison to other games and if used consistently.
This is obviously not the case here on BGA. I'll give you some examples (see below for explanation):

BGA BGG new? Name
0 - - Martian Dice
1 - 0 6 nimmt!
1 - - 7 Wonders Architects
1 - - Azul
1 - - Backgammon
1 - 0 Bandido
1 - - Battleships Pencil & Paper
1 - - boop.
1 - - Bubblee Pop
1 - - Carcassonne
1 - 0 Connect Four
1 - 2 Cribbage
1 - - CuBirds
1 - - Kingdomino
1 - - LLAMA
1 - - Lost Cities
1 - - Love Letter
1 - 0 Lucky Numbers
1 - 2 Piraten kapern
1 - - Solo
1 - - Spots
1 - - Yahtzee
1,73 1,77 2 Potion Explosion
2 - - Akropolis
2 - - Bärenpark
2 - - Break the Code
2 - 1 Can't Stop
2 - - CATAN
2 - - Chakra
2 - 3 Dice Forge
2 - - Downforce
2 - - Draftosaurus
2 - 3 Gizmos
2 - - Hanabi
2 - - Jaipur
2 - - King of Tokyo
2 - 3 Kingdom Builder
2 - - Koi-Koi
2 - - My City
2 - - Next Station: London
2 - - Nidavellir
2 - - Nova Luna
2 - - PARKS
2 - - Rallyman: GT
2 - 4 Saint Petersburg
2 - - Sea Salt & Paper
2 - - Space Base
2 - - Sushi Go!
2 - - Takenoko
2 - - The Crew
2 - - The Crew: Mission Deep Sea
2 - 1 Ticket to Ride
2 - - Tock
2 - 3 Tokaido
2 - - War Chest
2 - - Welcome To
2,21 2,21 4 Hadara
3 - - 7 Wonders Duel
3 - - Blood Rage
3 - - It's a Wonderful World
3 - - Memoir '44
3 - - Photosynthesis
3 - - Res Arcana
3 - - Seasons
3 - - Stone Age
3 - - Targi
3 - - The Isle of Cats
3 - 4 Viticulture
3 - - Wingspan
3 (default?) 2.32 - 7 Wonders
3 (default?) 3.64 - Agricola
3 (default?) 2.10 - Alhambra
3 (default?) 2.75 4 Architects of the West Kingdom
3 (default?) 4.09 - Barrage
3 (default?) 3.14 - Beyond the Sun
3 (default?) 3.78 - Caverna
3 (default?) 1.79 1 Century: Spice Road
3 (default?) 3.66 1 Chess
3 (default?) 2.90 - Earth
3 (default?) 3.70 - Great Western Trail
3 (default?) 1.92 - Hand and Foot
3 (default?) 2.32 2 Hive
3 (default?) 2.20 2 Living Forest
3 (default?) 2.90 5 Lost Ruins of Arnak
3 (default?) 3.11 - Obsession
3 (default?) 1.61 2 Patchwork
3 (default?) 1.78 2 Splendor
3 (default?) 2.92 - Tapestry
3 (default?) 2.99 5 The Castles of Burgundy
3 (default?) 1.72 2 Wizard
4 - - Anachrony
4 - - Clans of Caledonia
4 - - Gaia Project
4 - - Innovation
4 - - Puerto Rico
4 - 3 Race for the Galaxy
4 - - Terra Mystica
4 - - Tzolk'in
5 - - A Feast for Odin
5 - 4 Through the Ages (both versions)
Last edited by cigma on 07 May 2023, 09:08, edited 4 times in total.
#StandWithUkraine
cigma

Post by cigma »

I listed the 100 actually most played (so also well known) games on BGA, sorted for their actual rating on complexity and in alphabetical order.

The first number is the actual rating on BGA, the second number is the rating on BGG, and the third number is my suggestion for a new rating.

Two games had a comma number which was probably once taken from BGG, so I also gave that number. Several games are rated by 3, but probably only by default. That's where I also quoted BGG.

My suggestions for a new rating come from comparison with other games in this range. My definiton of complexity was: "How difficult are the rules of the game to understand?" (following this definition, e. g. chess is only "1", because the set of rules is rather easy to understand). Where I didn't give a suggestion I either think it's ok or I don't know the game well enough to rate.

Of course this is open for discussion. If we can find a consensus on the rating of these 100 games, we will have a good benchmark for the other games.
#StandWithUkraine
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Before diving into your list chess was going to be my example. I looked there 1st to see the rating because the rules for chess are actually simple and can be taught to a child in minutes.
So what parameter is being used to give it a 3?
ufm

Post by ufm »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 07 May 2023, 11:49 Before diving into your list chess was going to be my example. I looked there 1st to see the rating because the rules for chess are actually simple and can be taught to a child in minutes.
So what parameter is being used to give it a 3?
The strategy part, probably
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Yokai has 3 too.
Hanabi strangly is 2 but I suppose you can play it by clueing twice every card and be fine with it.
But then in Yokai you can play randomly while 4 turns, then group all colors.

This is 3 games with some really simple rules, a lot of options every turn and no way to know if a move which looked good is good or bad (it's not Catan where doing X make you closer to victory).

Bandido has that same feeling too, but contrary to those 3 others, the difficulty of the game is extremely low, so there will be 'mistakes' every game (even for me, i still don't know what i'm mainly doing), but they will not cost the victory.

I remember my mother not knowing what to do in mission 1 of the crew. She was used to competitive trick taking games, and even if a communication is available, you need to make the assumption that other would comm if they got like the 9 solo to play your 8 to win your task.

Return to “Discussions”