Why 4 player not 5

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Khadrim

Why 4 player not 5

Post by Khadrim »

I prefer to play 5 players variable set. It means all the cards are available, and there is usually at least one other player competing against my cards. Just seems fairer.

I have noticed a lot of games are 4 player though. Can I ask why? I can understand it with symmetric set, but not with variable.
Guudys

Re: Why 4 player not 5

Post by Guudys »

With symmetric and asymmetric, even at 5, people should always be competing for your cards?

For asymmetric, you will have 2 players going for yellow (2x yellow and 1x financier), 2 players going for blue (3x blue and 1x general), 1 player going for either green/yellow or green/blue.
Going purely green is possible and CAN BE really strong but usually harder than any of the other builds because there's less green cards and in order to produce a lot of green, you'd like very specific cards like Research Centre (which require more white production), Neuroscience for a pure green build is a nearly necessary card for a pure green build, University if you have a yellow/green build and Robot Assistants if you need more white production (which let's face it, we always need more white production).
High point green cards (Time Travel, Teleportation, Unknown Tech) are very few as well, as opposed to the blue and yellow cards. There's also strong multipliers but not necessarily easy to build in a PURE green build (Universal Exposition is a yellow card requiring 3 gold and 2 financiers for 3x science - Parallel Dimension is a blue card requiring 4 exploration, 3 science and a general for 3x science - Unknown Tech is purely green but requires already a lot of green you'd like to put on your other green cards that are producing resources and it also requires a krystallium, thing that is not always easy to get).

In symmetric games, it's more going to be 2-3 players going yellow and blue with hints of green here and there (unless they have the perfect cards to produce lots of green like mentioned above).

At least, at 4p, you'll have pairs of 2 players contesting each other's cards (2 blue/2 yellow) which seems fairer. Keep in mind I don't ever play with asymmetric empires so my opinion might be skewed a bit. I suppose if you have the Panafrican empire (2x science) in variable setup in a 4p game, it's still possible to go green and something else like yellow if there's only 1 other player going yellow (and the other 2 are going blue) or vice versa.

The least balanced setup is 3p though as 2 players will go one way and 1 player will go the other way which means they will most likely snowball very easily compared to the other two contesting each other.
Khadrim

Post by Khadrim »

At least, at 4p, you'll have pairs of 2 players contesting each other's cards (2 blue/2 yellow) which seems fairer.
Except because it is randomly assigned, there is nothing preventing 1 green, 2 yellow and 1 blue, or 1 green, 1 yellow and 2 blue. I have encountered this a few times in 4 player variable.
Guudys

Post by Guudys »

Yes, I am aware but as I said, going pure green is really hard because you need specific cards to get your production kickstarted and there's also not many high point scoring cards. Usually, a decent green build is when you manage to mix it with another colour so I would assume let's say you have 1 yellow, 1 green, 2 blue, it would be smart to go yellow/green, especially that with the asymmetric empire, you start with 2 white production so you are competing with yellow, stopping them from snowballing out of control, while having a slight edge cause you win the green bonus. Going purely green will make you only win one majority out of 5 so if you have the black/blue majorities tieing each other constantly, they're not really a threat. Yellow will most likely have white/yellow majority which can be really huge in a multi financier build so you want to stop that too. If I was green, I would definitely try to go white/yellow/green in this situation.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

I think the simple answer is that it's just easier to find games with less people.

If you're queuing automatically you would need to have your preferences set to 5P only to make a game happen. Otherwise you're going to get matched up in a 2P, or 3P, or 4P game when enough people join the table.

The current arena season being 4P will also be inflating the numbers a lot.

Return to “It's a Wonderful World”