What to do if player is not playing their turn because they have lost the game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
cookie55

What to do if player is not playing their turn because they have lost the game?

Post by cookie55 »

We were playing "Real time" Splendor and in the last turn, the player went offline. I was clearly going to win. Assuming they might have had internet issues, I turned the game in to "turn based", so that they don't get penalty. But since then, I have seen the player play more games and they are clearly not finishing their turn.

What do I do in this case?
Remkar

Re: What to do if player is not playing their turn because they have lost the game?

Post by Remkar »

Click the button to boot them because they are out of time. If they aren't out of time currently, wait until they are, then boot them.
cookie55

Re: What to do if player is not playing their turn because they have lost the game?

Post by cookie55 »

How do I boot a player in turn based game?
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

I don't think it's any different than it is in real time games. Once they run out of time, a little message should pop up asking if you want to skip their turn (I forget the exact wording), and it gives a warning that they'll be out of the game and will be penalized with everyone else being considered a winner.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

I just went and found the game, and they still have over 20 hours left to make their turn.

That was a very kind thought you had, but in the future, I would suggest you just leave it on real time and give them a few minutes to see if they're coming back if you're feeling charitable.

They don't take a karma hit unless you actually boot them, so it won't hurt to leave it as real time, and that way, if something like this happens, you don't have to wait forever to end the game.
cookie55

Post by cookie55 »

Thank you for your reply. I had played with them once, so I really thought they had internet issues. I wanted to be nice.

I don't know what's the time limit in turn based games because it's already been 29h since the incident. The clock symbol shows red next to the game in the list of turn-based games.

As for the the "skip players out of time" thing, I see "This player is not playing: what can I do?". When I click that, the pop up says
Is a player not playing?
Is a player not playing? You can:
First, remember that each player has the absolute right to think for the entire allotment of their thinking time.
Try to contact this person via the chatroom.
You may be disconnected from the server and the other player(s) may be waiting on you: refresh the page (hit F5) to check.
If a player is definitely not there, you just have to wait until this player's thinking time is over.
As soon as your opponent is out of time, you can skip their turn.
DO NOT quit the game by yourself: you would get a penalty for leaving and the other player would not.
There's no button to skip. Maybe I will wait for the remaining 19h in their turn.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

No problem, I know a lot of this stuff was a bit confusing when I first started playing here.

I'm not sure where you're doing the red clock, but the place to look is next to their name near the top while in the game. Right now when I look, they have about 11 hours and 50 minutes remaining to play. As soon as that timer hits negative, you should see the option to expel them (and it should be near the little "what can I do?" text you were talking about).

In terms of the total time allowed in turn based games, that varies. I'm not familiar with changing a game from real time to turn based, but if it's like creating a turn based game, there should be drop down boxes with options ranging from very slow (1 turn per 2 days) to very fast (24 turns in a day). (I think you can also choose no time limit, but that may be limited to "with friends games, can't remember for sure.) I THINK it defaults to 1 turn per day (the second slowest) if you don't manually change it.

And then, each of those game speeds has a starting time allotment. I think 1 turn per day may start at 48 hours? I don't create slow turn based games, so I'm not 100% sure. But I know the fast games start at 12 hours, and I'm pretty sure I've seen other people's games go up to 2-4 days. Then every time a player starts a new turn, they get time added back (based on the game speed) to that timer, but the timer can never go over the initial time that was set if that makes sense.

The only thing is that in "slow" turn based games (anything 4 turns per day or slower), the clock always counts down during a players turn. In "fast" turn based games (8 turns per day or faster), the clock only ticks down during a 12 hour period set by the game creator (so the clock doesn't count down while people are sleeping).

I hope that helps, but let me know if I've explained anything poorly!
cookie55

Post by cookie55 »

Thank you so much for the explanation. It helped. I was able to boot the player after 48h. Lesson learned. :)
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

Glad to hear it! :D

Return to “Splendor”