How to avoid trolls?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jerclarke

How to avoid trolls?

Post by jerclarke »

So I started playing this earlier this year and got addicted quite quick. Unfortunately for me I hadn't read the scoring system properly so was struggling around the 200 mark with my ELO and was always getting beaten by higher ranked players. As soon as I understood the scoring system I went up to around 300 but was still getting beaten by people who blocked so I thought hey this game is even more fun the more I get blocked and I will have to change my game plan. As soon as I did this I started getting loads of abuse from players about my tactics and getting reported and banned. So I decided to set my settings to only play v's good or above players and all of a sudden I was having really tight games and a lot less abuse. I adapted my tactics in several ways and really enjoyed learning from the better players. So I went from being naive to being a bit more competitive and I was enjoying the game far more even in defeat. In fact I loved being beaten by the better players as the game interested me even more when people were out to win. I was sick and tired of having to ask people if I could block them each game. So now I have my settings to only play 300 ELO and above and not one single person has complained or given me abuse. Respect is always shown after the game no matter who wins. This is what gaming is all about for me :) I am presuming that you cannot really get an ELO above 300 without blocking as you are just lambs to the slaughter. Obviously you can agree before the start not to block but that is just an argument waiting to happen if two people are both actually after a the same tracks. Thoughts?
thg0724

Re: How to avoid trolls?

Post by thg0724 »

jerclarke wrote: 12 May 2023, 15:00 So now I have my settings to only play 300 ELO and above and not one single person has complained or given me abuse.
The only "abuse" I have received from higher ranked players is one who twice told me "better lucky than good" after I beat them. Many will compliment a successful block.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

jerclarke wrote: 12 May 2023, 15:00 So I started playing this earlier this year and got addicted quite quick. Unfortunately for me I hadn't read the scoring system properly so was struggling around the 200 mark with my ELO and was always getting beaten by higher ranked players. As soon as I understood the scoring system I went up to around 300 but was still getting beaten by people who blocked so I thought hey this game is even more fun the more I get blocked and I will have to change my game plan. As soon as I did this I started getting loads of abuse from players about my tactics and getting reported and banned. So I decided to set my settings to only play v's good or above players and all of a sudden I was having really tight games and a lot less abuse. I adapted my tactics in several ways and really enjoyed learning from the better players. So I went from being naive to being a bit more competitive and I was enjoying the game far more even in defeat. In fact I loved being beaten by the better players as the game interested me even more when people were out to win. I was sick and tired of having to ask people if I could block them each game. So now I have my settings to only play 300 ELO and above and not one single person has complained or given me abuse. Respect is always shown after the game no matter who wins. This is what gaming is all about for me :) I am presuming that you cannot really get an ELO above 300 without blocking as you are just lambs to the slaughter. Obviously you can agree before the start not to block but that is just an argument waiting to happen if two people are both actually after a the same tracks. Thoughts?
The only "abuse" here is the one perpetuated by noobs who expect opponents to play by their own house rules and whine if they don't. You have the right minset to become a good player (edit: actually looking at your Elo you already are), keep grinding and ignore those losers.

Also you are welcome to join the TTR competitive community group: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=1671975 which often organizes high level tournaments. A 7-months long league with most of the strongest players just started on the group's discord at this link: https://discord.gg/bdBXVDUc
jerclarke

Post by jerclarke »

Thanks for those links and words ExaltedAngel. Just checked and I am yet to beat you. Our games were played when I was obsessed with the Pittsburgh to New York route and thought I had to build in the North East. At the time I also didn't pay attention to how close an opponent was to going out and the high value of a 6 train scoring system. So yeah looking at the games | lost to you it was around then I started watching what players like you did to win :) I rarely go into a replay of any games but yeah you hammered me in both games we played but I learned from you so thanks for that :)
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

You're welcome! Those games are old, don't mind them. Rewatching some of my first games feels the same, in particular there is a 4p game I played with Cannonade, Dandee and Flop Hecki when I didn't know anyone of them which is... ugh
See you soon for some hard fought matches!

Return to “Ticket to Ride”