Loading screen hang?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Ditto11

Loading screen hang?

Post by Ditto11 »

So I'm new to studio, and figured to learn, I'd clone an existing game, and look it over/tweak it in spots to learn things.
I've gone through the tutorial with no issues .. so I picked "Chess" .. copied the game, renamed key entry points to match the new game name I'm using. And the game starts up but hangs on "Opening the game box..." screen.

Other than just renaming a couple entry points, I haven't changed any logic yet. I now have 3 tables open, which I can't get into, and can't close?
thoun

Re: Loading screen hang?

Post by thoun »

Do you have an error message in the console ? You probably forgot to rename some place. You should try to copy with the utility in the manage gae page of your project, it will handle renaming for you.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

thoun wrote: 14 May 2023, 23:11 Do you have an error message in the console ? You probably forgot to rename some place. You should try to copy with the utility in the manage gae page of your project, it will handle renaming for you.
No console visible on that screen.

wait, there's a utility on the manage page ? *goes back to look .. *

Where is it? I'm not seeing anything on the manage page that looks like "copy /clone that guy .., to this guy " ???
What's that option called? where on the page is it?
predatorc

Post by predatorc »

Ditto11 wrote: 14 May 2023, 23:09 So I'm new to studio, and figured to learn, I'd clone an existing game, and look it over/tweak it in spots to learn things.
I've gone through the tutorial with no issues .. so I picked "Chess" .. copied the game, renamed key entry points to match the new game name I'm using. And the game starts up but hangs on "Opening the game box..." screen.

Other than just renaming a couple entry points, I haven't changed any logic yet. I now have 3 tables open, which I can't get into, and can't close?
When the loading screen hangs, there is a logical error in your yourgame.game.php file. (probably reading properties of undefined variables). When it occured to me, I rolled back to the previous version of game.php and applied changes row by row until it occured again and then I found the bug.

When you create a table for your game (before you hit "Express start"), watch the messages button in upper left corner of your screen (the green table-like button next to your friends button) click it and you will be able to close your games opened with error.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

predatorc wrote: 15 May 2023, 08:33
When the loading screen hangs, there is a logical error in your yourgame.game.php file. (probably reading properties of undefined variables). When it occured to me, I rolled back to the previous version of game.php and applied changes row by row until it occured again and then I found the bug.
thanks .. will try that .. will also try that utility to clone another game once I find it :)
When you create a table for your game (before you hit "Express start"), watch the messages button in upper left corner of your screen (the green table-like button next to your friends button) click it and you will be able to close your games opened with error.
No green one, just red, with #2 on it .. when I click it, it tries to open one of them and again hangs on the "Opening the game box..."
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

Ok . so fixed my loading screen bug . .finally found that clone/utility and worked good. Basically does a search/replace of the old name to new, which is what I did originally, and didn't work, so I definitely missed a spot originally :P

Now my question is: I have 3 "runaway" games ... which I cannot enter/close/quit/express stop/exit/anything ... are there any ways to deal with those? or do I just ignore them - will they eventually cleanup ? Or is there an admin/process for cleaning up those kinds of guys ?

[edit]
Actually, I'll open a new thread for this specific question :) makes more sense given the title I gave this one
[/edit]

Thanks for help!

[edit-2] Never mind! after fixing the core issue, I was able to now open those hung games, and close them properly .. all good now! Thanks again!
[/edit]

Return to “Developers”