Only allow people to join a turn based game after you finish setting up the game options.

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Starwarrior1128

Only allow people to join a turn based game after you finish setting up the game options.

Post by Starwarrior1128 »

When you start games via the Play Now button and are on the play with friends setting, if a friend that you invited joins a game before you finish setting up game options (for example to include a expansion or not), then you can no longer change game options. I want to be able to invite friends to a turn based game, finish setting up the game options, and then hit a button to allow people to join.
Last edited by Starwarrior1128 on 31 May 2023, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Jest Phulin

Re: Only allow people to join a turn based game after you finish setting up the game options.

Post by Jest Phulin »

I'm not attacking this suggestion, just want some information.

Why is it important to be able to invite people before options are set, rather than setting options first and then sending the invitations?

What should happen when the table options are changed, but someone seated at the table doesn't like the new options?
robinzig

Re: Only allow people to join a turn based game after you finish setting up the game options.

Post by robinzig »

Jest Phulin wrote: 23 May 2023, 17:32 I'm not attacking this suggestion, just want some information.

Why is it important to be able to invite people before options are set, rather than setting options first and then sending the invitations?

What should happen when the table options are changed, but someone seated at the table doesn't like the new options?
I may be misunderstanding, but I think you'll find the OP is not arguing for being able to change options after players have been invited, but to be able to set all the options *first* and only then invite others to join the game. This frustrates me too - there is no way to get to the options page without sending out the invitation first, which means if others (through no fault of their own) happen to be online and jump on the game straight away, you might not get to set one of the options you (and the other players!) wanted.

You should be able to choose to set up a table, set all the options to your satisfaction, and only then click a button to invite your friends to the table.
cigma

Post by cigma »

robinzig wrote: 23 May 2023, 22:27 there is no way to get to the options page without sending out the invitation first
This is not my experience (in new or old lobby), so I wonder about the difference. If you use the Play now page to start a game, you might have to switch from Automatic matchmaking to Manual?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

cigma wrote: 24 May 2023, 06:40
robinzig wrote: 23 May 2023, 22:27 there is no way to get to the options page without sending out the invitation first
This is not my experience (in new or old lobby), so I wonder about the difference. If you use the Play now page to start a game, you might have to switch from Automatic matchmaking to Manual?
I/we use neither, but the "friends" option, since we always want to start games amongst ourselves (we are friends in real life).
cigma

Post by cigma »

robinzig wrote: 24 May 2023, 21:48
cigma wrote: 24 May 2023, 06:40
I/we use neither, but the "friends" option, since we always want to start games amongst ourselves (we are friends in real life).
Oh, I never used this "friends feature". Now I tried it and understand what you are talking about. This is really anoying!
Why don't you open a suggestion report https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=0 for a change, so others can vote for it?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

+1 OP. I've had this issue too. It's totally annoying.
charlimangy

Post by charlimangy »

Yes, this has been driving us nuts. +1
Neelie

Post by Neelie »

I would like to have the option to both push a button when options have been set to send the invitation AND to be able to tweak options after people have joined. The best of both worlds would be fabulous! :)
Klapr00s

Post by Klapr00s »

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=90142

here is an upvotable post for this. :D

I totally agree with post-maker. It would be nice to first set up your game and then invite friends, just like with a table for random/automatic strangers.
The suggestion above this one i also really like. Both options would help out.

Return to “Suggestions”