Penalty for being kicked out of a game due to out of time is way too harsh

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
JasonReeves

Penalty for being kicked out of a game due to out of time is way too harsh

Post by JasonReeves »

As the title says, I think its rather penalizing for such a innocuous reason. I was only 40 seconds over and get kicked on the last turn of a 7 wonders game, as if I wasnt going to finish.

I get put in 5th place, lose 26 ranking , -16 plus -10. I lose 10 karma points and I get a flag on my profile that I ran out of time.

Given that it wasnt a completed game, no one won or earned anything. Perhaps I would have won and the other players did better by just kicking me out prematurely?

They each get a ranking bonus for a game that was effectively abandoned while I lose more ranking than I ever would have otherwise by just losing normally.

Losing 16+ 10 for one "out of time" is bogus. The other players didnt even attempt to ask me if I was still there , it felt all very arbitrary and reactionary in a way that left a bad taste in my mouth.

And this is coming from someone who has been on here since 2013 and has paid for multiple years of premium in the past.
kerkael

Re: Penalty for being kicked out of a game due to out of time is way too harsh

Post by kerkael »

I think you can't really complain if you fell on a table where 1 unique payer decided they didn't want to wait for you to come back.
If they prefered not to lose against you, well, it's a pity, but you can't really blame the system for that. Instead, look at the game history, find out who voted you out, and mark them with a personal red flag so you never play with them again.

However, I'm really curious about how much players fancy their level and reputation ... this didn't make you lose money. It will just take you a few days to return to a 100% reputation, and a few other games in 7W to return to your previous level.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I appreciate that point of view. Lots of people would rather just finish the game, even if it means a slight (or significant) delay.

I hope you'll appreciate another perspective: When I sign up for a game, I'm committing to play it in the time that I choose. If I don't meet my commitment, I don't feel bad what I'm kicked out. When other people don't meet their commitments, I often don't feel like prolonging a game that's already going slowly as they continue to exceed the time they agreed to.
JasonReeves wrote: 21 May 2023, 23:50And this is coming from someone who has been on here since 2013 and has paid for multiple years of premium in the past.
Do opinions carry more weight if you've been here longer? I signed up in 2011.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Kayvon wrote: 23 May 2023, 01:19 Do opinions carry more weight if you've been here longer? I signed up in 2011.
And because you're too modest, you're also a game dev.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Heh, that's true. Nice of you to point out, too. :)

I may very well be in the minority in my opinion, I have no idea. My real point was that there are different views and we should be considerate other people regardless of what "credentials" we feel entitle us to our opinions.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Kayvon wrote: 23 May 2023, 13:19
I hope you'll appreciate another perspective: When I sign up for a game, I'm committing to play it in the time that I choose. If I don't meet my commitment, I don't feel bad what I'm kicked out. When other people don't meet their commitments, I often don't feel like prolonging a game that's already going slowly as they continue to exceed the time they agreed to.
I totally agree with you. when a player complains about "not enough time", I usually answer "why don't you play with a slower speed setting?" because that's why this option exists.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

JasonReeves wrote: 21 May 2023, 23:50 And this is coming from someone who has been on here since 2013 and has paid for multiple years of premium in the past.
So, something might have been different in the 4 months that you signed up before me, but I doubt it. But since I've been here, clock management has always been a rule. Might as well say "Hey, I ran out of meeples in Carcassone, but want an extra one, so I should get it" or "I don't like the dice I rolled in Backgammon, so I should be able to reroll." It is a rule of this site, just like any game rule.

I also seemed to have missed the point that choosing to support a site (and then stopping that support) gave one the right for extra benefits.

Additionally, I seem to not be seeing the suggestion to make it better, rather than the discussion of how it is. If only there were different places in the forums for different types of posts.....

As Kayvon said, you committed to other people that you would play in a timely manner. The penalties are there to alert others that you do not always follow through on your commitments.

Return to “Suggestions”