One month to translate ?

BGA localization discussions
Choarier56

One month to translate ?

Post by Choarier56 »

Hi,

I've just created my account, and I want to translate into my language, which is a bit behind (Breton language).

I've got the right level of Karma, but I can't register my translations because they seem to require a month's seniority.

Is there any way of requesting an exemption to this rule so that I can start translating more quickly? :?:

Thks
Nastaa

Re: One month to translate ?

Post by Nastaa »

Hello,

Welcome :) If you want to ask you can go in the support page (https://boardgamearena.com/support), then: Website > Translations > How to participate to service translation? > My problem has not been solved. There you will have a form where you can explain and ask if they can do an exception.

Indeed, it looks like there are many translations to do in Breton! I noticed the games translations seem locked for now, I guess until the main site is more completely translated. I found a topic in the translation forum called "BGA e Brezhoneg": https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 205#p33205 which I don't understand, but it might contain some useful info for you.
Choarier56

Post by Choarier56 »

Thanks ! I'll ask on this link, and we'll see.

Yes, it is not possible to translate games until the site has reached 90% translation rate.

I saw this topic in Breton, where they talk about a few translation rules. However, there's a specific feature of the Breton language that hasn't been mentioned: the first letter of a word can change depending on the word that precedes it, which can cause problems, for example :

- 2 games = 2 bartienn
- 3 games = 3 fartienn
- 5 games = 5 partienn

Is it possible to use conditional operators in translations?
cigma

Post by cigma »

Choarier56 wrote: 30 May 2023, 12:42 However, there's a specific feature of the Breton language that hasn't been mentioned: the first letter of a word can change depending on the word that precedes it, which can cause problems, for example :

- 2 games = 2 bartienn
- 3 games = 3 fartienn
- 5 games = 5 partienn

Is it possible to use conditional operators in translations?
Probably not. I don't know how conditional operators look like. But there is an error check that requires that the number of most special characters (e.g. brackets, line breaks) in the translation must match the number in the original English text.

This Breton translation looks really tricky! Maybe you can find another way to translate it? For example, in German we can't say "their cards", we have to say "her cards" or "his cards". One way to solve this is by translating it as "her/his cards" (not pretty, but possible). This is accepted by the error check.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Yeah, there is no such feature with the BGA's translation system.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

This doesn't address the authorization issue, but regarding that feature of Breton:

You could potentially translate to *artienn or ?artienn.

i.e., pick some other symbol (my examples use asterisk and question-mark)
to represent a letter that depends on the preceding word.

Depending on how Breton handles that in math and programming,
doing the same as in one of those might be another option:

For example, if it was ​ ​ ​ m games ​ or ​ n games ​ or ​ x games ​ , ​ ​ ​ where m,n,x are variables,
would the first letter depend on which of m,n,x is the variable-name?
Choarier56

Post by Choarier56 »

cigma wrote: 30 May 2023, 21:20 This Breton translation looks really tricky! Maybe you can find another way to translate it? For example, in German we can't say "their cards", we have to say "her cards" or "his cards". One way to solve this is by translating it as "her/his cards" (not pretty, but possible). This is accepted by the error check.
Yes, except that all possessive words ("my", "your", "his", "our", "yours", "theirs") also trigger mutations, long live the Breton language! :D We can avoid the problem by using other words whose first letter never changes, but this is quickly limited...
Gulchen wrote: 30 May 2023, 23:43 For example, if it was ​ ​ ​ m games ​ or ​ n games ​ or ​ x games ​ , ​ ​ ​ where m,n,x are variables,
would the first letter depend on which of m,n,x is the variable-name?
Yes, this is a possibility. Most often in open source software translations, we use operators to manage plurals.

In Transifex for example

Code: Select all

<plurals name="watch_games;"
    <item quantity="one;"O sellet ouzh %d bartienn</item>
    <item quantity="two;"O sellet ouzh %d bartienn</item>
    <item quantity="three;"O sellet ouzh %d fartienn</item>
    <item quantity="for;"O sellet ouzh %d fartienn</item>
    <item quantity="nine;"O sellet ouzh %d fartienn</item>
    <item quantity="other;"O sellet ouzh %d partienn</item>
  </plurals>
${days} days
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

What about when the value is still an unknown as the statement is made?

For example,
Word Problem wrote:If Alice has played exactly _ games against Bob, lost exactly y of them,
won exactly y+1 of them, and there were no draws, what is ​ _-(2*y) ?
, ​ where _ is "m" or "n" or "x". ​ ​ ​ Would the first letter depend on which variable-name was used?
Choarier56

Post by Choarier56 »

Gulchen wrote: 31 May 2023, 12:49 What about when the value is still an unknown as the statement is made?

For example,
Word Problem wrote:If Alice has played exactly _ games against Bob, lost exactly y of them,
won exactly y+1 of them, and there were no draws, what is ​ _-(2*y) ?
, ​ where _ is "m" or "n" or "x". ​ ​ ​ Would the first letter depend on which variable-name was used?
I'm not sure I understand the question? But in this example there aren't many words that should mutate, only "games" (partienn), so it goes back to the question of variables.

It's very complicated to explain, so I'm going to try and summarise, which may answer your question (Wikipedia will be more exhaustive otherwise).

The first letter of certain words (those beginning with K, T, P, G, GW, B, M, D) can change depending on the word that precedes it (certain numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9; possessives; and lots of other little words too numerous to list). And depending on the preceding word, the letter will change according to a pattern that can vary.

But basically, this only poses problems for translation in cases where there are variables containing words that cause mutations (most often numbers, but it would be the same with a possessive that changes his/her).
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

variable-name is m ​ wrote:If Alice has played exactly m games against Bob, lost exactly y of them,
won exactly y+1 of them, and there were no draws, what is ​ m-(2*y) ?
variable-name is n ​ wrote:If Alice has played exactly n games against Bob, lost exactly y of them,
won exactly y+1 of them, and there were no draws, what is ​ n-(2*y) ?

For the above word problems, do the translations of "games" start with different letters?
(If yes, then the first letter depends on which variable-name was used,
since that's the only difference between those two word problems.)

If no, then: ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Would the first letter still be the same for variable-names such as ​ ​ ​ "i" , "j" , "x" , "z" ​ ?
(instead of ​ ​ ​ "m" and "n" ​ )

Return to “Translations”