Any quick strategy tips for a novice player?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jimbojimjim

Any quick strategy tips for a novice player?

Post by jimbojimjim »

I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me to be better at this game.

I am very bad at it. I've played it 24 times here and maybe 10 in irl. Any wins on my profile are because someone quit the game.

I watch better players take their turns and yet can't seem to put a finger on what I'm doing wrong.

I really like this game so if you have any helpful advice for me, thank you.
hymnal

Re: Any quick strategy tips for a novice player?

Post by hymnal »

I'm not an expert but until someone wiser comes along, perhaps this will help.

A common mistake is to think the game is about getting good hands of cows and delivering them for points. The truth is that most points come from other things. The game is really about improving certain abilities and benefiting from them on each circuit of the trail.

So, focus primarily on one of the domains (buying cows, building buildings, or pushing the train to upgrade stations). The most important thing is to get employees that improve that ability, and you can also build buildings that help or reward you for it.

Your choice of which domain to focus on will come down to which employees are available, what other players are doing (eg, if they are buying all the good cows, there will be none left for you, so focus on something else), what objective cards and bonus tiles you get.

As with many games, at the beginning you will want to focus on making money and investing it on things that will increase your powers (i.e. employees, cows, buildings). Then towards the end just look for whatever you can do that makes the most points.
davypi

Post by davypi »

In line with what hymnal has said, you can't really win GWT by just making deliveries. Fast delivery strategy only works if you can reliably make quality deliveries, which takes time to setup. So what you really need to be doing is figuring out how to make money. Most points in the game are made by buying things (cattle, buildings, hazards, station discs) so GWT is really a game about making money more than it is about making deliveries. A common mistake I see lower ranked players make is to skip neutral buildings in favor of deliveries, but you need those neutrals to either make money or buy the points. I'm not saying you should stop at every building on every pass through the map, but in most cases you shouldn't be skipping more than one or two buildings per run.

In that vein, toll buildings are, IMHO, a bit overpowered, especially if the southern hazard path gets filled up. If you can get a 2 coin toll at the front of the path, everyone is paying you right after they've delivered. This is effectively a four coin swing between the building owner and each player that occurs on every pass through the trail (unless they mimic the move). I've seen games won and lost on tolling alone. Its the one thing I wish they had nerfed in 2e.
Posti

Post by Posti »

Quick tips:

- Always deliver to Kansas 1st delivery, no exceptions. In 1st edition first two deliveries goes to Kansas, in 2nd it's game dependent. It will kickstart your economy and heavily reduce pressure in future deliveries.

- Do not make too many stops on the trail. Generally you want to take ~1-2 strong actions into delivering to "reset" your strong actions. Early on it's usually worker market and build, later depends on strategy. It is very rarely correct to make more than 3 stops per loop.

- Realize the importance of private buildings, even when not playing builder (1st taxer, 4b is massive for cowboys, 3b can boost your loop greatly). Carefully consider where you place them to enable your fast loop (see previous point) or deny your opponents theirs.

These are some basic strategy tips - If you want in depth guides or playthroughs I would recommend looking up UpUrPlay on YouTube!

Return to “Great Western Trail”