Goodbye and Good Games!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Goodbye and Good Games!

Post by sourisdudesert »

A message from BGA founder, Greg Isabelli (aka Sourisdudesert):

Dear players,

13 years ago I got this crazy idea of launching Board Game Arena. Today, it is time for me to leave and let BGA stand on its own feet.

During the past 2 years 1/2, we set up all what is needed to prepare this transition and make sure it happens well. In particular, we recruited a wonderful team of 10 extraordinary people who manage BGA everyday and have now all the needed skills to make it better. I was lucky to have full trust from our mother company, Asmodee, when assembling and organizing this team.

Since January, Alexandre Schlecht (lordalx on BGA) is already managing BGA and I have been there only as a support and an adviser. Alex has been working with BGA for years, and developed a total of 13 games on BGA including hits like CATAN, Splendor or recently "Next Station: Tokyo". All the time I spent with him these last months made me absolutely convinced that he is the right person to lead BGA and continue to make this service better. I will not unveil anything about the next BGA updates, but you will not be disappointed :)

Each time there has been an important event on BGA we used to write a small "FAQ", so here is one !

What about Emmanuel Colin (Een) who co-founded BGA with you?

Emmanuel left the company a few months ago and announced it in this message . Our 2 departures are obviously linked by all what is explained in this FAQ.

Why now?

Founders departure is a major risk for any Internet services. My co-founder and I are perfectly aware of that, and this is the reason we would like to prepare and organize this transition. First, when selecting a buyer, we care about choosing a company for which BGA will always be important, so we are 100% sure they will care about it over the years. Then, we selected and trained a team ourselves, to make sure the service will not be affected by our departures. The complete process took 2 years and 1/2 and ends now.

We have seen too many bad situations where founders want to keep their positions while they do not have anything to bring to the service anymore, and are finally pushed away: we did not want that for BGA.

Are you leaving because of Asmodee?

Absolutely not. I have been very clear from the start with Asmodee: BGA buyout was part of a transition strategy to a new team to make it sustainable over time. They accepted and supported that all along the way.

What do you think about the latest BGA updates and price increase?

I support 100% the latest updates: I followed the development of almost all of them.

About prices: it is quite obvious that the "historic prices" we used to have were too low. The catch-up that has been done these 2 last years was welcome. Among other considerations, something that everyone should keep in mind is that the BGA revenues are shared with Premium games publishers as "royalties". Significant royalties means more money to create new future games, but also make it more probable to have them on BGA.

What are you going to do now?

I am lucky enough to be able to focus on non-profit projects.

I have always found fascinating the possibility of using technology to make new kinds of social interactions possible. It was a pleasure to see all what you created using BGA as a community of players all along these years.

A specific social organization is not going very well at the moment: representative democracy.

I have created a new mobile app, Baztille, which make it possible to infiltrate representative democracy to allow citizens to participate directly to decisions affecting them. Each week, you vote and take collectively a decision for your country, your area or your city. Then, at election time, "Baztille" candidates can be elected to apply decisions taken by citizens, week after week, using the app.

If you also want to make democracy enter in the XXIe century, you can register on this website to make sure you will be part of the very first to try the app in your country. And who knows, they may be future Baztille representative among you?

I want to know more about BGA history !

As I am leaving BGA, this is an occasion to talk about BGA history. This is a quite particular story since BGA was launched as an amateur service at first.

A very complete video about this is unfortunately only available in French by "Un Monde de Jeux" since this is the only media that asked us. If I have the occasion to do something similar in another language I will let you know!

What did you learn in this adventure? Which advice would you have for other entrepreneurs?

There is so much to say and this would not fit here. In 13 years, I had to acquire skills in domains as different as web development, distant team management, large community management, subscriptions based economic models, UX design, multilingual systems, development platforms, scalable application hosting, accountability, personal data protection, IT security, and many others ...

I thought about writing articles with a "blog" format to talk about some of these subjects in the context of BGA, but I have difficulty evaluating if this can interest you or not.

So let's make a simple thing: if you think about a subject that could make a good article, please write it down as a comment to this post. If I see that there are many interesting subjects I will select some of them to write articles on a "blog" and will see where it goes.

Any last word?

A huge thank you to everyone who make this service possible to exist and to grow: game publishers and game designers who believed in this project (there is nothing without you), Asmodée team, the BGA team: Ian, Jurica, Tof, Xate, Sunil, Cyril, Aurélien, Alex & Pietro - you are my Avengers, my co-founder Emmanuel who support me all along the way, and obviously YOU, all the players who made BGA what it is today, and especially the game developers, the testers, the moderators, the translators, the tutorial authors, and all those who at some point help us to go further.

For those who are interested by my future projects & publications, you can follow me on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gisabelli
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sourisdudesert/
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gisabelli/

During BGA's first years, we used to end our meeting with "To infinity and beyond". Well, see you for the next adventure, beyond infinity!

Greg

----

Update: I am not used to talk about BGA to entrepreneurs, but this little talk below is an exception :)

If you are interested by entrepreneurship or BGA in general, you should like it (Audio in French / English subtitles available).

EDOARDO77

Re: Goodbye and Good Games!

Post by EDOARDO77 »

Good news or bad news?
Chtd

Post by Chtd »

C'est triste, mais c'est la vie qui doit continuer... Merci pour tout!
thoun

Post by thoun »

EDOARDO77 wrote: 02 June 2023, 15:32 Good news or bad news?
That's what he wanted, and he managed to put someone in charge that share his vision, so... neutral ? :D it shouldn't really change things for the players.
ChristopherHo

Post by ChristopherHo »

What a legend! Thank you so much for bringing so much joy to so many <3
TheLawyer

Post by TheLawyer »

Where is Ned? :D
sarri

Post by sarri »

:D Thanks for the game my guy!
AddONE1235

Post by AddONE1235 »

Merci Greg!
GiulyElys4

Post by GiulyElys4 »

this is just an April's joke, don't worry :D
Deuce Heart

Post by Deuce Heart »

Bon voyage and congratulations! Thanks very much for years of great gaming. BGA is one of the things that helped keep me sane during Covid and still keeps me sane now. You also should be proud that you built, grew, and sold a company that makes so many people happy. I, for one, would be very interested in a blog series on how you went about it with BGA (and a history video with English subtitles!).
Cheers!
Eric/Deuce Heart

Return to “Official announcements [en]”