Reverse Bluff / skipped Bluff

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Romain672

Re: Reverse Bluff / skipped Bluff

Post by Romain672 »

Travis Hall wrote: 07 June 2023, 04:46
Blacktango wrote: 05 June 2023, 12:23
I’ll give one more
Allowing such reverse bluff doesn't look worth to me. It’s (almost) always too dangerous.
More than giving a 3 clue for a reverse double bluff in such case for example. A 3 clue "smells" more like a trick for P2 than cluing blue. They may recognize it may be a double bluff and then don't try to clue the W1.

Disallow it would allow a layered then, which the opportunity is more common than such a bluff IMO :

A: x x x x
B: 3b x x x
C: 1b x x x
D: 1w 2b x x
No. All this talk of allowing and disallowing specific clues in specific situations requires everyone at the table to have memorised exactly the same set of rules. Far better to understand the basic principles, and play accordingly, so that you can build on those principles to communicate effectively in a wide variety of scenarios.

D should not play on to find 2b. The principle behind layered does not apply in this scenario, so doing so is dangerous, and really no better than a guess.
So first D plays w1.
Then the question became, does B got the right to clue D's w1.
If the answer is no, then D need to stop playing.
If the answer is yes, that mean that this clue should work even if B interfere. That mean D need to dig at least one more (and 'conventionnally' dig until he find b2).

The answer isn't simple.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Btw as a bonus, you can get an interresting position:
Played: all 2s and b3.
B: y5 x x x
C: y3 x x x
D: r3 b4 x x
A clues yellow to B. B assumes y4. But B isn't allowed to clue C's y3, but can totally clue 3/4/r/b to D. But all those clue would make D plays his finesse position as y4.
Now, if B decide to clue r4/b5 in A's hand, Then D will assume y4 in his first slot, and r3/b4 in his second slot, with what I believe I know of bga's convention, D should play his slot 2 first which should be enough weird from B's pov to not play y5 as y4.

I would not advise to do it, but it's an interresting spot I believe, linked with this situation.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Romain672 wrote: 07 June 2023, 05:25 Then the question became, does B got the right to clue D's w1.
This is why I said that the clue is dangerous in that particular example. For it to be safe, you need to know that B won’t clue that. (So, an obligation to play, or lack of tokens, for example.)

If a clue is too dangerous, don’t give it.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

I think Travis you assume something illogical for safety, which is totally fine position. You doesn't know how people will react to the clue, so you try to play the safest possible with this clue.

Which... I respect but I don't like :)

Return to “Hanabi”