AMAZING Abstract Strategy Game: Quoridor

General discussion on board games
GridGuide

AMAZING Abstract Strategy Game: Quoridor

Post by GridGuide »

Hello everyone,

My name is Gabriel, I'm 27, from Paris ;)

Approximately two years ago, I stumbled upon Quoridor while visiting a friend. I immediately found this game fun to play and I began playing more and more, starting with the physical board game. However, I soon realized that the experience could become even more intense by playing online (on Board Game Arena). I became obsessed with mastering various opening moves and climbing the ladder.

Game rules in short : In Quoridor, you and your opponent each have pawns on a 9x9 square grid. The objective is to reach the opposite side before your opponent does. On your turn, you can either move your pawn or place a wall to hinder your opponent's progress. However, there's a rule that you cannot completely block off your opponent's path by surrounding them with walls. This ensures that there is always a way for players to continue moving towards their destination. To gain a better understanding of the game and its strategy, I created a video that provides an overview and discusses the current state of the competitive scene. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_GA0JsLpYk
Quoridor

Moving ahead, I've already played about 2500 games, and my love for this game keeps growing. Every day, I'm finding new strategies and counters to explore. Right now, we have a small community playing online on Board Game Arena, but my dream is to make this game more popular and well-known, so that we can have a competitive scene one day! I truely believe that Quoridor has the potential to rise as a competitive game comparable to the likes of chess or Go :
1. Strategic depth
2. An online community on Board Game Arena
3. A ladder system (ELO ranking)
4. A replay system and tools to analyze games

What do you think about it ? Feel free to ask any question if you are curious about the game or the community !

If you are interested, there are other videos on my channel like tutorials, puzzles, and replay analysis (https://www.youtube.com/@quoridorstrategy)

Gabriel // MazyMind // GridGlitch // GridGuide // Ownards
T72on1

Re: AMAZING Abstract Strategy Game: Quoridor

Post by T72on1 »

I play a lot of abstracts here, as I love them but have a hard time finding other people to play that genre of boardgames in real life. I played Quoridor a few times here and liked it. But not to such a degree that I kept on playing. Not because the game is bad, but because I find other games better and also like to keep on trying out new games. I might have not gotten into this one deep enough, maybe I'll give it another try.

I assume you mostly play 1vs1? That is what most competitive players prefer, and what I prefer too in those few games I actually play beyond the 'casual' stage. I have seen 4 people play the game once in my local boardgame pub. They definitely liked the chaos that's inherent to a 4P game of Quoridor.
QueenGambitAccepted

Post by QueenGambitAccepted »

Thanks very much for the videos! I was hoping I could find some strategy compendium on Quoridor somewhere, there was a blog I stumbled upon once, but it was very (very) old.
skatingtortoise

Post by skatingtortoise »

Im a big fan of this game, and its been getting more exposure in the UK recently (on sale at Waterstones) which is awesome. I wont claim its as deep a game as Go, but it gives me very similar vibes as you start to understand more and more of the game.

also 4p is carnage and i love it.

Return to “Discuss about board games”