Licensing question

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Ditto11

Licensing question

Post by Ditto11 »

Hi, I've been mucking mildly with Dragonchess (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12776/dragonchess)
for a bit here, mostly as a learning experience. And as I've been somewhat successful in getting the game (mostly) functional, I figured it was time to see if acquiring the "ok" from the license standpoint was even possible.

I reached out to Wizards of the Coast, and got a mostly positive response from them, however, as I'm relatively new here, was unsure how to proceed with that response :)

I found this link: https://boardgamearena.com/gamepublishers
However, not really what I'm after .. as the response from wizards was simply "falls under Fan Content Policy" ... so I need to dig deeper into that a bit to see that really does align with BGA rules and such. I tried to check for contact point on BGA, however, again, not really sure where to turn.

As there is nothing "private" in this exchange, I'll post my query to Wizards here, plus their reply. Hoping that's not violating any rules :)

Ditto11#90692

May 18, 2023, 10:03 AM PDT

I've been a fan of Gary Gygax's Dragonchess, first released in 1985, in Dragon #100, under TSR. As WotC bought TSR, I'm assuming that any potential license ownership of this game would fall under WotC?
If this assumption is incorrect, please let me know.
If it is, then I would like to request permission to publish a digital version of the rules on the website "Board Game Arena".

Please advise if there any issues with this? I am hoping that the game is old enough, and the way it's released, that there are no issues with this, however, I wanted to touch base and make sure. Please let me know.

Thank you!
Support Agent (Wizards of the Coast)

*moderator edit: sharing emails from third parties is not permissible due to privacy concerns. Even if there is no personal information included, this email was intended for the recipient and not the general public. Without explicit permission to publicly post an email reply, it should not be publicised.
joezg

Re: Licensing question

Post by joezg »

We recently got in contact with WotC / Hasbro and I think it would be best if we handle this license for you.

Considering their general tone of the response, I would say that you can continue your implementation and once we solve the licensing stuff we will get back to you.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

awesome .. thanks!

Hoping if we keep it free game, it falls under their fan license :) *fingers crossed*
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

What is normal process for checking status of licensing? how long do these things normally take? (as this is my first time, not familiar with process or timelines :) )

As I've got code basically done and ready for testing .. was just curious where/when licensing query/status might be at?
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

joezg wrote: 07 June 2023, 13:44 We recently got in contact with WotC / Hasbro and I think it would be best if we handle this license for you.

Considering their general tone of the response, I would say that you can continue your implementation and once we solve the licensing stuff we will get back to you.
So just a followup on this now .. been a few months .. wondering how I can check on status of the licensing for this ?

Code is basically done, and ready for beta, but just need to final confirmation on licensing (which when I checked, they seemed to confirm it falls under their "Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy"
https://company.wizards.com/en/legal/fancontentpolicy

What's the proper process for verifying licensing for new games?

Return to “Discussions”