Is there a bug in the solo game of Isle of cats?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MarDorKe

Is there a bug in the solo game of Isle of cats?

Post by MarDorKe »

Hi all,
I am unsure what to do, I play the solo game and was loosing. Paid extra attention and the better I played, the more points I made, the more I was loosing. Last game, I made 3 x 60 points, - 30 for rats and rooms and I ended up with -150 points?
What am I missing, or is this a bug?
Remkar

Re: Is there a bug in the solo game of Isle of cats?

Post by Remkar »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's some technical issue with BGA in how it was originally coded, and how it interacts with solo (maybe all?) scores (for every game).

I think for it to count as a loss, the game needs to send a negative score to BGA (this seems to be the case for Ark Nova as well in solo mode), so I think the developer probably just turns your score negative if you lose, and leaves it positive of you win.

Just a guess, though, based on what I've seen, maybe somebody with more knowledge can verify, though.
MarDorKe

Post by MarDorKe »

thank you, that is interesting information and probably explains why you can't play solo games and not be in training mode.
Generally that could be the case, however the amount got more negative the more points I got and thus I lost every time.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

MarDorKe wrote: 14 June 2023, 15:23 thank you, that is interesting information and probably explains why you can't play solo games and not be in training mode.
Generally that could be the case, however the amount got more negative the more points I got and thus I lost every time.
Ok, I just quickly looked at the end game state from your last 2 solo games.

Here is what it's doing...

It is just taking YOUR SCORE minus SISTER SCORE.

So when it's negative, that's how many points you lost by. If you win, it will be positive (and 0 if you tie).
MarDorKe

Post by MarDorKe »

Thank you.
Blu_Phire

Post by Blu_Phire »

Solo mode is confusing. I just played through a whole game thinking that the "solo goals" were points I'd get, but it turns out that they are negative points so things I want to avoid scoring on (scored by the Sister). This is likely a mistake that OP made too. Solo goal points going up means your score going down. Confusing.

Return to “The Isle of Cats”