Best and worst characters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Romain672

Best and worst characters?

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
Feel free to talk about synergies between characters, per example if X is really bad but it is really good if there is Y in the game.
Last edited by Romain672 on 18 June 2023, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Romain672

Re: Best and worst characters?

Post by Romain672 »

1st) Hunter: his 4 level 2 is so good
2nd) Sensei: his 6 level 1 is already half of a good level 2 ability, while per example lancer's 6 is less than one quart of a good level 2 abiity, and his 4 even level 1 can be good for end game
3rd) Lancer: damage and xp, just what you need the most
4th) Stargazer: staying sun, is pretty similar to lancer. He got slightly more xp, and do slightly less damage. Moon give him extra support value.
5th) Medic: it just look good to heal the character which is in need. So can setup the last two turns of a fight really nicely to be able to have way more chance to kill
6th) Blood mage: need more experience with it, but it's similar to medic. Problem is that you regularly need to sacrifice yourself to do that setup, so that can backfire more often
7th) Death strider: doesn't do much outside of damage, is anti-synergic with healing characters. Pretty cool if you upgrade the 6 to max, but that assume the game is already in a good shape if you manage to do it
8th) Commander: it's really interresting to play, but I feel like his only good ability is his 4 which add armor, which can be really bad sometimes
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

Romain672 wrote: 18 June 2023, 18:51 6th) Blood mage: need more experience with it, but it's similar to medic. Problem is that you regularly need to sacrifice yourself to do that setup, so that can backfire more often
my experience with bloodmage, is any game I've been in where somebody took a bloodmage, we usually lose. I find he doesn't do enough overall ..
perhaps it's just a mixing of other champs: ie Medic + Hunter + Bloodmage = no damage can't kill anything.
7th) Death strider: doesn't do much outside of damage, is anti-synergic with healing characters. Pretty cool if you upgrade the 6 to max, but that assume the game is already in a good shape if you manage to do it
yeah, he's good damage, but doesn't really do anything the Lancer does ... and Lancer does it better.
8th) Commander: it's really interresting to play, but I feel like his only good ability is his 4 which add armor, which can be really bad sometimes
I am going to SOOO disagree here. ;) I LOVE the commander, he's my main guy I use as often as possible. I find he is the best overall character:
- highest damage potential.
- very tanky : can soak a lot of damage and offers excellent group damage mitigation to others (which rivals the medic's healing)
- his bonus 6 can trigger so many different abilities ... it's such useful utility.

For best matchups, I find matching Commander with Sensei is just broken and results in an auto-win.
Sensei max out 3rd card (5/6 ability) first: to level 4. This gives his bonus action 6: +1 xp to all other players.
Commander: get 3rd card (5/6 ability) first: to level 3. This gives it a "range" of 1. I find this is more than enough to use it easily.
This means, the Sensei's #6 gets triggered twice as often .. this is free xp for everyone, all around. This adds up fast.

Commander: Highest damage potential: Lancer and Death Strider max out at 10 dmg with their #2 ability at level 4. Commander's #2, at level 4, has the potential to do 12 damage. (the big downside is most people doesn't seem to understand how the Commander works, and so unless you're coordinating with the team well, this can be hard to do).
I did have 1 game, I managed to spit out his max of 24 damage. :) that was fun.

Tankiest:
Blood mage has highest HP (18) .. but no armor ... so no damage mitigation. All he is is a damage sponge . not very exciting, imho :)
Death Strider: 14 hp, and 2 armor is very good for damage mitigation.
Commander: 10 hp, and 3 armor. The 3 armor is excellent damage mitigation, plus usage of this #4, giving other players in the highest/target spot +2 armor, is amazing damage mitigation. Think of it as an instant 2 heal to everyone.

all in all, I love his versatility .. :)
Kevin015

Post by Kevin015 »

I would rank medic lower and commander higher.
I think bloodmage is a better healer as healer itself, especially in combination with deathstrider.
Commander is indeed very versatile, but you and the group need to be a bit experienced to make the most out of him.
Knowing which actions everyone will do, calculating if it's better to choose another perril bcs of commanders 2/4 dice or not...
Another one that needs a bit exp to play well is stargazer. When to switch day/night, who to give extra armor.
tarongot

Post by tarongot »

Worst character is Hunter. because his 4 ability is overpowered. Even on first level it gives additional turn, at last level its also lowers monster attack. Is too much. Every game with hunter its so much easier. Easier, to a level when it is boring. I would personally like an option to ban hunter from games.

Other characters are pretty much at similar level. All have theirs strong and week sides, and need cooperate with others.

Return to “None Shall Pass!”