For the 1000th time, we really need an ELO filter in Arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ElThoesen

Re: For the 1000th time, we really need an ELO filter in Arena

Post by ElThoesen »

cowboy_dan wrote: 21 July 2023, 01:23
ElThoesen wrote: 20 July 2023, 21:55 I do not like facing 100 ELO opponents. It isn't unreasonable to be able to remove this. There's very little upside for a win and tons of downside for a loss. All risk and little reward compared to similarly ELO'd opponents.
ELO won/lost is proportional your probability of winning. So, if you play ten games against opponents you should beat 90% of the time, you’ll, for example, lose 18 points once, and gain 2 points 9 times, and be right back where you were. If you’ve played a lot of games, your ELO should be pretty close to your “true level”, and so it shouldn’t change much.
Cool story. Doesn't change the fact it's an unenjoyable experience. Especially with the level of randomness that 7 Wonders introduces. ELO filter would be simple to implement.
pliskin64

Post by pliskin64 »

When I was guru I suggested to raise Arena to players over 200 ELO. It's a pain in the ass to play in Arena facing 100 ELO players that are used to play in stupid ways because they cant lose ELO and have a such huge impact on the game results. Sometimes I think that some players have more than one account and they use the donkey-one to damage games of the best players on purpose.
iggy1

Post by iggy1 »

ElThoesen wrote: 05 July 2023, 20:02 Nothing is worse than barely missing first in 3P and getting dinged 7-10 ELO points because the person in third, who you more than DOUBLED their total (because you have thousands of more games experience so that's not a surprise), has like 125 ELO.
10 ELO is a burden? I was dragged down back to 100 because I lost a sequence of games in the arena. Had to go to the regular playing to get more ELO because I was feeling bad for not losing anymore points
doctorchris

Post by doctorchris »

pliskin64 wrote: 08 September 2023, 11:57 When I was guru I suggested to raise Arena to players over 200 ELO. It's a pain in the ass to play in Arena facing 100 ELO players that are used to play in stupid ways because they cant lose ELO and have a such huge impact on the game results. Sometimes I think that some players have more than one account and they use the donkey-one to damage games of the best players on purpose.
Do you have any actual evidence of this?

Return to “7 Wonders”