Seeing remaining cards in the deck

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CraWleR

Seeing remaining cards in the deck

Post by CraWleR »

First of all, thank you for the nice games. It's been a joy to have some fun games while on parental leave. As a thank you, I spent some time adding a new feature.

After one of our games imbroglio shared that he was basing some of his decisions based on the remaining Command Cards in the deck. Even though I have only done that for Gambit cards in the past, I thought it may be a good idea to just add it to the game especially since I couldn't find a way to view a full game log for an unfinished game to retrospectively check when this information became important. Keeping track of remaining cards is something that anyone could do, so I don't see any harm in making it available for everyone.

A long time ago pikiou had added an Easter egg to the game, which would show all Command and Gambit cards if you clicked the "π" symbol under the Command Cards:

I've changed that to:
- be "(See deck)" buttons next to "Available gambits" and "Available commands" instead
- show a big red cross in front of cards that are no longer in the deck
- show the probability of a card coming out next

As an added bonus, I know that reading cards on touch devices (especially Mobile/smaller screens) is a pain now. As a new player you may want to do it just to familiarize with the available cards. As a more experienced player you may want to do it to refresh your memory, especially when dealing with less popular cards. Therefore, you can click on any of the cards in the "Remaining cards in deck screen" and read these cards. Not an ideal solution, but it works (if you know HTML, then I dropped some HTML code inside H2 tags :D Sorry, that saved me some time :D)

Could someone use this information to cheat?
From what I saw and tested - no. I made sure to always sort the "remaining cards" in the same order and cards are removed from this list only when they are displayed on the screen for everyone.

Hope you like it!

CraWleR
imbroglio

Re: Seeing remaining cards in the deck

Post by imbroglio »

After one of our games imbroglio shared that he was basing some of his decisions based on the remaining Command Cards in the deck. Even though I have only done that for Gambit cards in the past, I thought it may be a good idea to just add it to the game especially since I couldn't find a way to view a full game log for an unfinished game to retrospectively check when this information became important. Keeping track of remaining cards is something that anyone could do, so I don't see any harm in making it available for everyone.
Hey this is great! Just saw this today; I've been taking a break. I agree with your logic here -- I would usually try to keep track of this myself in notes, but it was quite tedious. It's good to have everyone on the same page

Return to “Quantum”