Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
sepasch

Re: Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Post by sepasch »

I see another strange think, but not quit sure, if this is "normal" I win some games, but don't gain any arena-Points. Is this correct or the same error?
2023-07-15 14_58_07-Spielverlauf von sepasch • Board Game Arena – Mozilla Firefox.jpg
2023-07-15 14_58_07-Spielverlauf von sepasch • Board Game Arena – Mozilla Firefox.jpg (201.82 KiB) Viewed 653 times
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

sepasch wrote: 15 July 2023, 14:02 I see another strange think, but not quit sure, if this is "normal" I win some games, but don't gain any arena-Points. Is this correct or the same error?

2023-07-15 14_58_07-Spielverlauf von sepasch • Board Game Arena – Mozilla Firefox.jpg
I raised your second point too in this subject, I had 10 victories with 0 points. It was before reaching Elite, didn't happen since I think. Yours were also on the way to elite.
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

BackGa wrote: 15 July 2023, 04:04
Remkar wrote: 14 July 2023, 18:41 I see now. Something is wrong somewhere.

Question is, is it happening elsewhere (other games)? Or is it backgammon specific?
And yet another one.... Gentle reminder about enjoying games vs trophies. Capture d’écran 2023-07-15 à 05.01.17 - Grande.jpeg
It should be impossible toi go from Platine to Elite in 1 win!
Before being Elite and having your score (SAE) indicated in the ranking one has to go through the process, succeeding in ALL leagues and we see in Mummy example that she jumped from Platine to Elite

The SAE associated to the jump is therefore also invalid.

BTW, My apologies to all players involved, it's not about you but about having a a proper and fair gaming place.
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

sepasch wrote: 15 July 2023, 13:38 The player jumped from Platin to Elite.
Wow, I love this one, this is pure magic!
The player has 0 stars in golden ligue. He wins a game with +2 stars reward, which leads him to +3 Elite!!!!!

I do still trust the platform but doesn't serve you when lot of players, including me, have reflexions on some points. This plus that is getting heavier and senseless to keep Arena
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-07-16 à 03.11.11 - Grande.jpeg
Capture d’écran 2023-07-16 à 03.11.11 - Grande.jpeg (167.17 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Thanasi1953

Post by Thanasi1953 »

If that was the only problem hahaha there is a lot more
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

First of all, you probably know that you win 0 stars if you defeat a player who is two (or three?) leagues below your current league. You win AES, though - but you see AES only when you are Elite.

Secondly, I think, all screenshots show no bug but a feature. In games with a small player base Elite comes right after Gold, in some games it comes after Platine, in some after Diamond.

I believe (and now I am not 100% sure) that at the beginning of the season - when there are still few arena players there are less league steps to go through. Otherwise nobody could reach Elite in the beginning, since everybody starts with Bronze, Silver or Gold. And you get no stars for beating those players if you were, say Diamond.

What I did not know is the fact that the Elite range seems to be able to be in the middle of levels, too. Say, you need Gold plus 3 stars to reach Elite, or Platinum and 5 stars, or Diamond plus 6 stars to reach Elite. That could be a bug but it could equally well also be player base dependant..

Edit: I only now see the newest screenshot with the jump from 0 Gold to 3 Diamond. Could be a bug... Have you filed a bug report, BackGa? Then we would learn what is bug and what is feature...
PrimusPalus

Post by PrimusPalus »

euklid314 wrote: 16 July 2023, 05:19 First of all, you probably know that you win 0 stars if you defeat a player who is two (or three?) leagues below your current league. You win AES, though - but you see AES only when you are Elite.
Yes

Secondly, I think, all screenshots show no bug but a feature. In games with a small player base Elite comes right after Gold, in some games it comes after Platine, in some after Diamond.
No, look properly at the example just above: the player has O stars Golden league, wins next game and it shows he won two stars . His score should be 3 stars in Golden league not 3 in Elite

I believe (and now I am not 100% sure) that at the beginning of the season - when there are still few arena players there are less league steps to go through. Otherwise nobody could reach Elite in the beginning, since everybody starts with Bronze, Silver or Gold. And you get no stars for beating those players if you were, say Diamond.
No it is actually much harder. All players have very close scores so you'll probably win only 1 point per game so it takes you 10 wins to the next league and not counting games where you win 0 points adding to it. I will not play first week arena next season, it's worthless

What I did not know is the fact that the Elite range seems to be able to be in the middle of levels, too. Say, you need Gold plus 3 stars to reach Elite, or Platinum and 5 stars, or Diamond plus 6 stars to reach Elite. That could be a bug but it could equally well also be player base dependant..
No, you need to close a league with 10 points to qualify for the following league, through all leagues until you reach Elite where the SAE score applies

Edit: I only now see the newest screenshot with the jump from 0 Gold to 3 Diamond. Could be a bug... Have you filed a bug report, BackGa? Then we would learn what is bug and what is feature...
I see your edit just as I finish replying as well! I talked to BackGa, he didn't yet but suggested we should join efforts as it took much him time and implication to finally solve identified issues
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

If you didn't get to the last line of the opening post, here is how I've found out about it. I insist a little because I've experienced some reactions after denouncing a cheaters squad.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-07-16 à 13.31.55 - Grande.jpeg
Capture d’écran 2023-07-16 à 13.31.55 - Grande.jpeg (153.03 KiB) Viewed 537 times
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

I see now. On 13.7. several leagues were awarded incorrectly. This seems clear - I just did not understand from the previous posts. And the very first screenshot that BackGa posted still seems without any errors for me.

If you file a bug report, BackGa, you can link it here such that we can upvote it.

If only the leagues were awarded incorrectly and the underlying Arena points calculation was correct then it is only a minor bug without much relevance (let's be honest: everybody reaches Elite sooner or later if they want to). But since Arena points are hidden, we do not know if the bug is bigger and affects AES points too...

Finally: The 0 shields for a victory are no bug. When you (BackGa) won against Morgan893 on 13.7. you got 0 shield progress because Morgan893 was still Bronze at that moment. I do not see a single game where the +0 shields after a win was not correct...

Return to “Backgammon”