Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
BackGa

Re: Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Post by BackGa »

euklid314 wrote: 16 July 2023, 18:55 I see now. On 13.7. several leagues were awarded incorrectly. This seems clear - I just did not understand from the previous posts. And the very first screenshot that BackGa posted still seems without any errors for me.
The player was appearing in top 3 with SAE score on backgammon main page whereas he game history was as on the screenshot. Sorry I didn't join ecplanation for this one

If you file a bug report, BackGa, you can link it here such that we can upvote it.
Thanks Euclid I appreciate, I'll see, kind of tired of doing ones job instead of playing but of course if we play we want a descent level of fairness don't we?

If only the leagues were awarded incorrectly and the underlying Arena points calculation was correct then it is only a minor bug without much relevance (let's be honest: everybody reaches Elite sooner or later if they want to). But since Arena points are hidden, we do not know if the bug is bigger and affects AES points too...
For me it is a major bug. Facing ranking based on bugs in the first week is no good for bga and most since they didn't communicate .
This at such an early stage of a 3 months worldwide tournament does have a huge impact

and not only for the player who had a miscalculation because players league or SAE will define the points. big big chain concerned.

I wouldn't mind to keeping it as such, to be downgraded or whatever but it is to BGA to find out, I'm not speculating on stupids or on bugs, boring and almost useless. I mostl y wanted to share it with the community
This does not apply to convinced cheaters, I'll always be merciless if facts are stated

Finally: The 0 shields for a victory are no bug. When you (BackGa) won against Morgan893 on 13.7. you got 0 shield progress because Morgan893 was still Bronze at that moment. I do not see a single game where the +0 shields after a win was not correct...

Yes thanks Euklid I had seen it in the few indications they give in FAQs
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

euklid314 wrote: 16 July 2023, 18:55
Look at this one, he "qualified" to Elite before most, gain points didn't play since (which I understand in normal situation)
Seriously Euklid, it is a major bug, everything and everyone is impacted through the hole season
`
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-07-17 à 00.56.23 - Grande.jpeg
Capture d’écran 2023-07-17 à 00.56.23 - Grande.jpeg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 598 times
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

I want to explain why I called it a minor bug if only the Arena levels are affected:

Arena levels have NO impact on Arena score. Never! They are just a "interesting" way to hide your Arena score for a certain time.

See it as a birthday present that is wrapped in a bronze wrapping. When you remove it, you see a silver wrapping and so on. When you remove the last wrapping you may look at your present. Of course removing the wrapping can be much fun and one may make a lot of fuss about it but in the end (at the end of a season) only the content of the birthday present counts...

So we have the case that several (or most?) of the players reach Elite earlier then they should have. This does not affect the Arena ranking of ANY player at the end of a season. Yes, of course these players appear too early in the Arena ranking list - but I call it a minor bug if everybody knows that they have, say, 1673 AES points or if they have the same 1673 AES points and nobody knows. The fact that they have 1673 AES points is the important one - at least for me.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

There has been a bug in the beginning of the season that too many players were downgraded to Bronze. It has been fixed on 13/07/2023. https://de.boardgamearena.com/forum/vie ... 13#p147713

The jump from Platin to Elite or other strange jumps you see in the histories on 13/07/2023 might be related to this. I think the shown player shouldn't have started the Arena season in Bronze in the first place, so after the bug got fixed, it seems that the true league of each player got recalculated.

I am just speculating here but it makes some sense.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Looks like you found the solution, dschingis. BGA even announced on 13.7. in the thread you gave that everybody should be in the correct league after they recalculated the leagues.

No bug report necessary anymore, BackGa.
sepasch

Post by sepasch »

Good to read, that everythinks seems to be ok.
Thanks for the investigations and discussions!
PrimusPalus

Post by PrimusPalus »

euklid314 wrote: 17 July 2023, 05:12 I want to explain why I called it a minor bug if only the Arena levels are affected:

Arena levels have NO impact on Arena score. Never! They are just a "interesting" way to hide your Arena score for a certain time.

See it as a birthday present that is wrapped in a bronze wrapping. When you remove it, you see a silver wrapping and so on. When you remove the last wrapping you may look at your present. Of course removing the wrapping can be much fun and one may make a lot of fuss about it but in the end (at the end of a season) only the content of the birthday present counts...

So we have the case that several (or most?) of the players reach Elite earlier then they should have. This does not affect the Arena ranking of ANY player at the end of a season. Yes, of course these players appear too early in the Arena ranking list - but I call it a minor bug if everybody knows that they have, say, 1673 AES points or if they have the same 1673 AES points and nobody knows. The fact that they have 1673 AES points is the important one - at least for me.

levels DO have impact on AES, it is only not Shown until you reach Elite. Please check faqs about Arena
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR BUG
PrimusPalus

Post by PrimusPalus »

dschingis27 wrote: 17 July 2023, 06:21 There has been a bug in the beginning of the season that too many players were downgraded to Bronze. It has been fixed on 13/07/2023. https://de.boardgamearena.com/forum/vie ... 13#p147713

The jump from Platin to Elite or other strange jumps you see in the histories on 13/07/2023 might be related to this. I think the shown player shouldn't have started the Arena season in Bronze in the first place, so after the bug got fixed, it seems that the true league of each player got recalculated.

I am just speculating here but it makes some sense.
Sorry but not the same subject at all! Arena sets the same starting point for all. And nothing changed in the scores or ranking since this report was published
PrimusPalus

Post by PrimusPalus »

euklid314 wrote: 17 July 2023, 09:30 Looks like you found the solution, dschingis. BGA even announced on 13.7. in the thread you gave that everybody should be in the correct league after they recalculated the leagues.

No bug report necessary anymore, BackGa.
NO absolutely not. Did you see any changes in any of the cases I mentioned? Well if you didn’t, I did check on it and nothing changed, no recalculation and no change. And this report is dated 13th July we’re the 18th... plus I believe a more efficient communication than forum thread would have been done
Last edited by PrimusPalus on 17 July 2023, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
PrimusPalus

Post by PrimusPalus »

Only way to give sense to the current season is to start all over again.
How would they recalculate scores if none was correct and moreover when AES and Leagues have totally different points calculation system? (Have you ever win with 0 points in Elite despite level of opponent?

Return to “Backgammon”