Game Won’t Mark as Ended

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
JohnnyCyclops

Game Won’t Mark as Ended

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

On both of my first two games of Lost Ruins of Arnak it finished but BGA didn’t complete the end of game step and update ELO. Both were three-player. The games finished and the total scores got calculated, but BGA thinks the game is still running/open and wouldn’t let me play anything else. Do I just need to give it time to record the game already ended, or should I do something else? Although I lost the games I'd prefer not marking that I quit the game (because I didn't). I’ve reported as a bug. Playing on Win10 laptop via Firefox.
Remkar

Re: Game Won’t Mark as Ended

Post by Remkar »

JohnnyCyclops wrote: 25 July 2023, 14:41 On both of my first two games of Lost Ruins of Arnak it finished but BGA didn’t complete the end of game step and update ELO. Both were three-player. The games finished and the total scores got calculated, but BGA thinks the game is still running/open and wouldn’t let me play anything else. Do I just need to give it time to record the game already ended, or should I do something else? Although I lost the games I'd prefer not marking that I quit the game (because I didn't). I’ve reported as a bug. Playing on Win10 laptop via Firefox.
Was it a game where someone ran out of time and got booted? If so, those can take longer to register (everyone that didn't get booted needs to officially quit (or can keep taking their turns if they like until the game gets to the end), and then sometime after that, the game will get logged and you'll see it. Depending on the other players, though, it could take multiple days to officially end.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

Remkar wrote: Was it a game where someone ran out of time and got booted? If so, those can take longer to register (everyone that didn't get booted needs to officially quit (or can keep taking their turns if they like until the game gets to the end), and then sometime after that, the game will get logged and you'll see it. Depending on the other players, though, it could take multiple days to officially end.
In the first game I didn’t see anyone get booted and no one quit. The next day BGA closed the game as ‘abandoned’ through inaction after four hours but we’d tallied up the game’s score pad already so the game felt like it had finished fully.

The second game was similar state after the score card. Then the second-placed player seemed to take the quit option a few minutes after the game effectively ended. Then later the first-placed player also quit and that seemed to allow BGA to determine ELO which dinged the second-place who quit but gave me +35 ELO despite coming 3rd.

All very odd and not seen BGA struggle or delay ending a game in the month I’ve been playing here.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

JohnnyCyclops wrote: 25 July 2023, 16:29
Remkar wrote: Was it a game where someone ran out of time and got booted? If so, those can take longer to register (everyone that didn't get booted needs to officially quit (or can keep taking their turns if they like until the game gets to the end), and then sometime after that, the game will get logged and you'll see it. Depending on the other players, though, it could take multiple days to officially end.
In the first game I didn’t see anyone get booted and no one quit. The next day BGA closed the game as ‘abandoned’ through inaction after four hours but we’d tallied up the game’s score pad already so the game felt like it had finished fully.

The second game was similar state after the score card. Then the second-placed player seemed to take the quit option a few minutes after the game effectively ended. Then later the first-placed player also quit and that seemed to allow BGA to determine ELO which dinged the second-place who quit but gave me +35 ELO despite coming 3rd.

All very odd and not seen BGA struggle or delay ending a game in the month I’ve been playing here.
Both games show you running out of time both games (and another player running out of time in your second game).

The second game shows that the player that still had time left quit the game, and the first game shows that the game was abandoned.

The second game seems like the situation I described in my first post, the 1st game is a little less clear, though. I'll have to look at the game log more closely.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

Remkar wrote: 25 July 2023, 18:08
Both games show you running out of time both games (and another player running out of time in your second game).

The second game shows that the player that still had time left quit the game, and the first game shows that the game was abandoned.

The second game seems like the situation I described in my first post, the 1st game is a little less clear, though. I'll have to look at the game log more closely.
I need to recheck, but thank you for checking. I don’t recall me running out of time during game play but may have done in the first game as it was my first time playing and I was confused a lot!!

The second game, after the in-game scoring completed but the BGA score didn’t then I did see the second-placed player quit. That seemed to trigger the BGA scoring to complete but somewhat erroneously.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

JohnnyCyclops wrote: 25 July 2023, 18:21
Remkar wrote: 25 July 2023, 18:08

I need to recheck, but thank you for checking. I don’t recall me running out of time during game play but may have done in the first game as it was my first time playing and I was confused a lot!!

The second game, after the in-game scoring completed but the BGA score didn’t then I did see the second-placed player quit. That seemed to trigger the BGA scoring to complete but somewhat erroneously.
I looked more carefully, but now I'm less certain.

I don't see the typical:
So-and-so has run out time, what's-their-name decided to skip them

So I don't know if that's an issue with the game log/replay not showing it, or if it was a Lost Ruins error, or a BGA error.

Finding another Arnak real time game that had someone booted for a time violation would help establish what the game log would normally look like.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

Remkar wrote: 25 July 2023, 19:28
I looked more carefully, but now I'm less certain.

I don't see the typical:
So-and-so has run out time, what's-their-name decided to skip them

So I don't know if that's an issue with the game log/replay not showing it, or if it was a Lost Ruins error, or a BGA error.

Finding another Arnak real time game that had someone booted for a time violation would help establish what the game log would normally look like.
I played back that first game. I did timeout once, possibly twice (I recall the winning player telling me to F5 which fixed the problem I was having making a move. The other players waited for me and I played on. It's not in the timestamp, but under the thinking time graph my line dips below zero twice.

It feels like a BGA error in not recording the game result.

I also spotted my opening move was to 'pass' in round 1. It got mildly better thereafter!! :-)
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

Same issue here, had to quit my first game after a win and endured 20 karma points penalty while the game was finished and and tallied. I was even given the first victory badge each time I opened the table.
Thought tough luck. Then just had another game tonight, lost and again table is stuck, while the game is tallied. I will have to quit again and I suppose I won't be playing that great game anymore.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

guydeloimbard wrote: 16 August 2023, 23:38 Same issue here, had to quit my first game after a win and endured 20 karma points penalty while the game was finished and and tallied. I was even given the first victory badge each time I opened the table.
Thought tough luck. Then just had another game tonight, lost and again table is stuck, while the game is tallied. I will have to quit again and I suppose I won't be playing that great game anymore.
If you have the time, don't hit QUIT but let the game run on to four hours elapsed and it will automatically end. Until that game ends though you won't be able to play another real-time game. My support ticket remains open with BGA and has someone looking at it. They mentioned at least one other player with the same issue. I'll mention you to them as well. On the one hand I'm sad also for you. On the other hand, I know it's just not me and my account. Thank you for responding.

If others have the same issue, either as the common cause or because it's happened at your table, please post here. The more information we have the more we can help BGA support fix the issue. Note, although the problem seems to affect me it's also stopping people I play against from getting ELO credit or properly closing the game once complete. I've stopped played Arnak for a while as a courtesy to other players.
Marcolf

Post by Marcolf »

I have the same issue. Friendly 2-player game, so no clock/timeouts. Game ended and scored in "Final Situation", but "Game Results" tab won't finish and record. Win10 and Firefox.

Return to “Lost Ruins of Arnak”