SUMMER of GAMES 2023: a full month of daily releases!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
TheScythe21

Re: SUMMER of GAMES 2023: a full month of daily releases!

Post by TheScythe21 »

I was really excited for the event but it seems kind of strange to have a big hyped up release calendar that lasts a whole month, and then not release a single game from the most wanted games list that is always on the front page. I spent all month hoping for at least one of Le Havre, Brass, or All Creatures Big and Small assuming that I wouldn't get all of them but would probably get one of those. If not those then maybe Terraforming Mars or Small World since those are the top two most wanted, which I don't love but I know friends would want to play often. It seems like it would be better to release games weekly as they are finished instead of saving them up for a whole month of daily releases, especially if the games aren't what the community is asking for anyway.
ldpaulson

Post by ldpaulson »

Well, that was an anti-climactic non-event.

Count me among those who would have loved for Le Havre or a similar game adapted well to have been added to the BGA collection. Also waiting for all the loading issues with various existing games (Wingspan in particular) to be resolved. Better fewer games done well that function properly than a game a day rendered haphazardly and a bunch of server issues.
contig

Post by contig »

For those who were expecting games they've heard of before, I imagine it can be a let down. BGA does this because it's a great way for more basic games to each get their own spotlight on the off-chance that people read the rules and play the game. And there have been a few hidden gems in there as well.

But as an aside, most of the "most wanted games" on the list won't be on the site, because some publishers don't want their games on the site (and it even mentions this on the entries). All the well known games that were at the top were taken off when they were published, (Not sure why they put the wanted games list on the site when it creates unfounded expectations. Just because people want a pony and flying cars, doesn't mean it will happen.)

Still there have been several popular games that were released. For example, 7 Wonders and Ark Nova were very popular when they came out
ElloryQueen

Post by ElloryQueen »

Soliloquy_ wrote: 30 August 2023, 01:03 BUT. If you click the newly released game EVERY day, you will unlock achievements to beautify your account. Unique. Beautiful. And this year the trophies you can get from this unique event are... cute animals. The calendar will be available on the frontpage of BGA, below the usual releases/news, and on the right side on desktop.

I have made an effort to click every day but it appears your time zone doesn't line up with mine so I've missed out on the trophy. :( Example: it is 4:58pm (Pacific) and I just clicked on 29 and 30 ... counter reset to "you have opened 1 daily gift". This had happened before but I didn't realize it was a time zone issue.

Can you fix this for future and still apply the trophy?
Wait, I never understood this! I clicked almost every day (I missed a few, so I get why I didn't get the 31 days trophy), but never figured out how I was supposed to get the daily gifts. So it wasn't just that you had to click on it, but at a certain time?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

contig wrote: 01 September 2023, 03:32Just because people want a pony and flying cars, doesn't mean it will happen.
I think this every time a multiple award winning game is requested in the "Game Wanted" thread for the Nth time, as if it is some hidden gem that has evaded the attention of a site dedicated to board gaming and all you have to do is ask for it and *boom* it will appear on BGA.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

ElloryQueen wrote: 01 September 2023, 03:41but never figured out how I was supposed to get the daily gifts. So it wasn't just that you had to click on it, but at a certain time?
The daily gift was a new game to try that devs put a lot of effort into, often for free.

There were only four badges: one for 1, 10, and 20 clicks, and one for getting all 31.
Klodius

Post by Klodius »

Nice event, just now i cannot see how many clicks i managed to get. I was on holidays for 12 days and didn't find a way to click on mobile app. :roll: so i must be near 20 ;)
Nevermind, i will try to do better next time :D
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

I missed one, just forgot it due to a very busy day. Bummer, but nothing major, and fun event nonetheless.

I must admit I'm looking forward to some major releases now though, after all these smaller ones. Mind you, I'm happy for the developers of those that they got released.
leberschnitzel

Post by leberschnitzel »

also was a bit dissapointed that there was no real "banger" for me.
I hope others got games they wished for, though!
Shogun2049

Post by Shogun2049 »

Most of the big name games won't end up here for the simple fact that they already A) have their own digital game either on Steam or Google Play/Apple store, or B) they are already on Tabletop Simulator where you have to pay for each official game. I'm a little surprised that Wingspan is here because of this, but I believe the one here is the bare game while the official digital game on Steam allows you to purchase expansions (could be wrong about this).
Terraforming Mars and Small World are both available on Steam and the app stores as well, so it makes no sense for them to release a free version of the game here, yet. I believe Terraforming Mars just released an expansion and the Terraforming Mars: The Dice Game Kickstarter is delivering imminently, so they are going to be pushing for purchases of physical copies right now. In a year or so, if they have no future plans for expansions, they may be more willing to bring it here. Small World IS old enough that it's not exactly readily available, so it may not be here due to being on TTS, but I haven't used TTS so I'm not sure if it's there or not. Never really liked the system as the games don't have the rules hard wired like here so you can literally do whatever you want.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”