How is CS programmed here?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
daveroswell

How is CS programmed here?

Post by daveroswell »

I have played CS for probably at least two decades and I absolutely love the game. One of my favorites. And I am starting to play multiple times on BGA daily. This is not really a complaint; it's more my noticing a pattern in generated die rolls.

I have seen more rolls where all die are the same number than I ever have before (six 4s, even 6 sixes).

Also, maybe it's just poor luck, but the 6 7 8 column rolls are not nearly as productive for me here as they have been IRL.

Is this just randomly generated, or am I actually seeing patterns? I've actually won a couple games on the double die rolls, more than I ever have before.
dschingis27

Re: How is CS programmed here?

Post by dschingis27 »

You are seeing patterns that are randomly generated. :) Seeing patterns is human nature. When you play a game often in a short time frame, which you can do on BGA, it's easier to notice patterns. Generating some patterns is a nature of randomness. While IRL, maybe your games stretch over a longer time period.
But I don't understand what you mean by this, "(six 4s, even 6 sixes)"? There are only 4 dice per roll.

In general, 40 games of Can't Stop is only a really small sample size. So every pattern you see now may change completely in the future, e.g., the unproductive 6 7 8 columns. To get back to your question in the title, BGA uses php function random_int under the hood for RNG. It is tried and tested many, many times and used also by other websites. If you want more details, you could search the Backgammon forum.
daveroswell

Re: How is CS programmed here?

Post by daveroswell »

#1. Yep. You are absolutely right....the "six dice" seen in three different instances are just the possible results of four dice rolled.
I actually played thousands of CS games on BSW back in the day, and its almost definitely the case of a small sample size. But I thought the question worth asking. Backgammon threads are always fun....and mathy lol. I'll check them out

Return to “Can't Stop”