game balance

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
chloe-price

game balance

Post by chloe-price »

first mover have an absolute advantage. that is unfair. and 8 gold boss seems stronger than 6 gold ones. maybe fisrt mover shall have 1 less gold or will be assigned 6 gold boss and second mover will get 8 gold boss
Lokhir

Re: game balance

Post by Lokhir »

Hi Chloé,

Thanks for putting your thoughts. From my experience, being first mover is not always an advantage, it really depends on what looks the starting setup.
There is also a reason why two Bosses start with 6$ instead of 8 : it's powerful to start with an informant, since it's the less frequent skill you find in the gangsters and it will be helpful to counter Snitches. Same goes for the Ghetto Boss which allows the player to starts with an advantage in the future Gang War, plus having the skill you need the most to perform heists.

That being said, as the game designer, I'll be happy to take any of your (= you + community) suggestions. Not that I could promise anything in terms of implementation (not me doing it !), but we could consider implementing new settings with marginal changes, like these two bosses starting with 7$ for example. Anyway, happy to discuss it :)
chloe-price

Post by chloe-price »

thanks for your reply. i think these two bosses starting with 7$ is good. you can analyse stuff's abilities and cost and get a conclusion: informant is only 1 gold more expensive than normal abilities. and why do you think being first mover can be bad? he can always choose to skip his turn and get some gold while making himself a "second mover".
Lokhir

Post by Lokhir »

Hi Gangsta community.

Since we are receiving more feedbacks requesting to reduce the difference of starting cash (depending on the Boss you are starting with), we thought we would ask the community what they think about the following proposal =>

" dear Gangsta fans, do you think we should rise the starting amount of cash for the Yakuza and Ghetto Gang from 6$ to 7$ ? "

Schmeta Games will leave this question open for discussions during two weeks, then we will summarize your feedbacks. If there is a majority of people willing to improve from 6 to 7$, we will start creating a new setting to allow that. Of course, as the print game remains the reference, the default setting will always remain 6$ and you will have to activate that new "7$ setting" when opening a table.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions ! We appreciate a lot to see so much people enjoying the game :)

Yours,

Lokhir / Schmeta Games
oranjon

Post by oranjon »

Hi. I do not vote to change the starting money for individual gangs.

I have not yet played a game where I have felt that the starting money was unbalanced for individual gangs.

Instead, my suggestion would be to give each player an extra $ for each position after the first. So, 2nd player receives $1 extra, 3rd player receives $2 extra etc

However before making that change I would love to be able to analyse BGA game stats. Is it somehow possible to get a dump of all final game scores ( including the starting player) so that we could find out if there is a correlation between final scores and starting position?

Cheers
Lokhir

Post by Lokhir »

Sorry for being so long to react to your message :)
I think you are right about the extra dollars depending on the starting position. After all, due to the end triggering conditions, not all the players play the same number of moves, so that would also be a way to compensate that.

This change will be implemented in a new setting. I just can't tell when : we currently lack of a game developer to implement it (viewtopic.php?t=34039)

Edit : there is sadly no way to get the statistics we would need to analyse if the starting order and/or the starting Boss makes a difference or not

Return to “Gangsta!”