Heads Up! Changing to auto-collect after 2 seconds

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs

What is your opinion on the matter?

Auto collect after 2 seconds sounds great!
53%
Auto collect sounds great, but it should be more than 2 seconds.
24%
Auto collect sounds great, but it should be less than 2 seconds.
9%
I don't like the proposal and will reply with a better alternative.
5%
I would prefer to keep the "collect" button as is and not change anything.
9%

Total votes: 66

dashwood314

Heads Up! Changing to auto-collect after 2 seconds

Post by dashwood314 »

Having to click the "collect" button is annoying. This is the 3rd most requested issue: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=36919

So let's do something about it.

Turn-based mode and real-time mode need different treatment. Let's focus on real-time mode here.

The reason for the "collect" button to exist is to give other players a chance to play a bomb. But it does not seem wise to make this time dependent on when the "collect" button is clicked:
- If the user is faster to click "collect" than someone else to click "play bomb", then that is bad. All users should have x seconds to play a bomb.
- If the user is slower than those x seconds, then that just delays the game.

So my proposal is (for real-time mode only) to remove the "collect" button and instead auto-collect the trick after 2 seconds.

Please vote and voice your concerns.
Bellum

Re: Heads Up! Changing to auto-collect after 2 seconds

Post by Bellum »

I am up for giving it a try. I might have a stronger opinion after I see it in action.
Valdamarr

Post by Valdamarr »

I was going to test it first but it doesn't seem to have been implemented yet - at least not in my last game. I prefer 3-4 seconds but 2 is ok.
Tuut Tuut tis Luut

Post by Tuut Tuut tis Luut »

Yeah, unless I'm missing something, there's really no downsides to this. There's never incentive for to collect your own tricks any slower than necessary.
Roger the Gamer

Post by Roger the Gamer »

Most of my games are played with friends in different time zones over a long period of time, so yes waiting for a person to collect after having played their last card is really annoying, but if it isn't their last card they have to play right after collecting, so no big deal, but the big thing for me in requiring a player to collect their cards it gives more of a chance to call Tichu out of turn. I think if all players had a slider that they could select auto collect (for all players, not just them) this round that they can turn on or off would solve everything.
Wildaughter

Post by Wildaughter »

I think making it an option that the players choose would be better, rather than making it an automatic feature. Not all games are live... if playing turn based a person who intended to play a bomb would not be able to.
PeterEbert

Post by PeterEbert »

There should be the possibility to see the last trick
dashwood314

Post by dashwood314 »

Thanks for all your votes and feedback! This is now live. Let me know what you think.
Wildaughter wrote: 12 August 2023, 19:25 Not all games are live... if playing turn based a person who intended to play a bomb would not be able to.
Roger the Gamer wrote: 12 August 2023, 19:18 Most of my games are played with friends in different time zones over a long period of time, ...
The change affects real-time games only.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

For the game of Tichu, I would prefer not to have auto-collect, as this would make it harder to play a bomb (which is allowed even after all players passed and before the winner of the current trick collects the cards).

Instead I would suggest, that as long as the collect button is available, you should be able to select the cards you want to play next and have a „play cards“ button. If I click „play cards“, the collect action is done automatic before playing the next card(s). I can still manually click „collect“ first, if I want to ensure, nobody has time to bomb, but this should not be done automatic (clicking „play cards“ may automatically trigger a collect action first, but it is itself a manual action).

Return to “Tichu”