Trying to figure out clan Buchanan advantage

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MjMitrandir

Trying to figure out clan Buchanan advantage

Post by MjMitrandir »

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=407228825

So I just did this game this evening with clan Buchanan, first time and all. So the rulebook and the tooltips, in french, says that clan Buchanan don't pay the price twice if they take a contract in the same round. So you don't get 2 times 5 pounds in the first round (wich I didn't try in the match I did and shown), but to compensate, you don't pay the second contract either in the later round (or something with a 5 pounds rebate for each contract in the tooltip). Well I didn't see any 5 pounds rebate in any contract I picked for the rest of the game, and nor a second contract free in the last round, where I picked 2 15 pounds contracts (first at round 168).

So my question is : what is wrong? Do I don't understand the rules properly? Does the rules have changed and I can't find the info? Are the tooltips wrong? Is this a bug? Does the Buchanan have no special rule for contract and I could have had 3 times 5 pounds in the first round (wich would suck as a clan only strenght)?

I will test more, but I would like to have a clear explanation if possible.

Thanks
Jeromie

Re: Trying to figure out clan Buchanan advantage

Post by Jeromie »

With Buchanan, when you take a contract, you can do it a second time in the same turn. It's optional. If you do, you don't pay the price of the contract. The tooltip is trying to clarify what happens in the first round, and only in the first round. If you do take two contracts in one action of the first turn, you only get the 5£ once. So usually it's better to do it in two turns, unless the contracts are so good you really want them. But only in the first turn!

On the last turn, you did not use your ability. After you've picked a contract you have to confirm a second time, the message you say something like "you can take another contract" (same when fulfilling them). That's when you can take another one for free. The interface could be more explicit but once you know what to look for it's fine.

Something more advanced: there's an interesting interaction between Buchanan's ability and the "5£ + building bonus" port (top right in your game). Because using a port can be done at any point during your turn, you can use it to take one contract and then take a contract from the box. Because both are done in the same turn, you still only pay the price once (or miss out on the 5£ in the first turn).

Return to “Clans of Caledonia”