Upcoming Changes: How much information should we show?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Roger the Gamer

Re: Upcoming Changes: How much information should we show?

Post by Roger the Gamer »

I play exclusively turn based over a period of days and all of these these changes make sense. it's one thing to have to remember what cards have be played over the course of a natural game, but no one in our group can remember over time. Perhaps a game option before the game starts will satisfy everyone?
zyrain

Post by zyrain »

Two things: for those that want a memory game, this can be a game option (needing to remove the info from the log).

Second, if you're adding and removing buttons, please fix the buttons in place when there's enough room. Too often, I go to click something and the button being shown under my mouse suddenly changes as I'm clicking.

Thanks!
Louis412

Post by Louis412 »

I think the application should resemble real life as much as possible, so I didn't vote for any of them.
I think the auto skip is a bad idea, at least for real time games. There's an element of bluffing that would be removed. Also that gives away too much information
Julius Grace

Post by Julius Grace »

Tell users that they have a bomb by only showing the "play bomb" button, if the user actually has a bomb.

Make the passed and accepted cards of the user easily available during the entire round.

Provide a concise tabular overview of which cards have already been played during the current round.

The game logic should automatically skip players that cannot beat the current combo taking all played cards into account.
Toggle these options on/off. They should not be must haves in a game.
dashwood314

Post by dashwood314 »

Thanks for all your votes and replies! And sorry for creating a somewhat useless poll, because you could not really vote for "don't make any of these information available". :-/

My conclusion would be that all 4 proposals should be made 1 game option: "show all available information" or something like that.

Most likely real-time players will prefer the option to be off, and turn-based players will turn it on. Unfortunately I cannot set a default based on whether a game is turn-based or real-time, so turn-based players will have to remember to turn the option on. Or maybe in turn-based mode we will actually not allow turning it off. We will see ...

Stay tuned for the changes, but don't expect anything too soon. It will take some time ...
Valdamarr

Post by Valdamarr »

zyrain wrote: 21 August 2023, 01:48 Two things: for those that want a memory game, this can be a game option (needing to remove the info from the log).

Thanks!
The game played face to face involves remembering cards played etc and the more effort you invest in remembering what has occurred round by round can/does increase your chances of winning. It is an important aspect of the game. If you want to remove that aspect of the game to make it easier for those that don't want to or cannot make the effort to remember, you make the game more about luck.

I would suggest the default setting should be that similar to the real life gameplay, and that if necessary the option to make the four changes can be made available to toggle on.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

In real life, there is no automatic help. You could use pen and paper to write done notes (pov: „the rules does not forbid that“), but I have never ever played with someone, who did it (and I‘m not sure if I want to).

On the desktop, if the game implementation itself does not show public information (e.g. which cards have already been played), it is quite easy to open a text editor in a new window and write it down by yourself without the other players even knowing that you use a text editor for memorizing.

So, I think, it is ok to have an option to let the game show all public available information. Let the players decide whether they join a table with this option turned on or off (or if they don’t care). But please make it optional, so that players, who think memorizing information is part of the game, can play without it.
Louis412

Post by Louis412 »

A feature I would vote for is the ability to arrange your hand as you like. Haggis has a thing where you can lock cards which moves them to the left. Something like that would be good .

Also, if you're going to add the rank of passed cards, you should also add the suit.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Louis412 wrote: 25 August 2023, 22:35 A feature I would vote for is the ability to arrange your hand as you like.
You can vote for this feature here: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=22264
Berenike10

Post by Berenike10 »

I don't like the most recent of changes to Tichu. I am referring to the colour shading options to the background- which do not seem optional to return the previous layout. It adds nothing of actual game value, but aesthetics. The table mat is now narrower and so the cards are less visible with large sets, or another way to put it is they're squashed in together. Almost half the space of the screen is now wasted I disliked the experience so much I couldn't wait to finish the game.

Is this change for the sake of change, to satisfy whims and fancies? Or has aesthetics taken priority over functionality?

Return to “Tichu”