Deer seem too strong in 2 Player

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
reikja

Re: Deer seem too strong in 2 Player

Post by reikja »

Thanks for the feedback on Forest Shuffle and your concern this game might be imbalanced at some point.On behalf of Lookout Games I’d like to state the following:

Forest Shuffle is specifically designed to work with all player counts. While it can be almost cosy and tranquil with more players, it is the most competitive with 2p, that‘s for sure.

Any feel of imbalance is due to players exploring ALL options in this game and developing your strategy on the go: adapting to changes is mandatory.

Like IRL, the habitat at your table thrives or suffers from impacts:

Impact No. 1: In a 2 player game, 30 cards of the whole deck are discarded at the beginning. Are there any deer | wolves in it? If you do the maths - that‘s WHY this rule applies in 2 player battle. You won’t know which 30 cards are off limits.

Impact No. 2: Small birds or amphibia feasting on insects? Good points, small points. Being the most powerful species in the habitat, wolves & deer WILL secure lots of points. This looks like a safe bet.

Impact No. 3: Once your opponent knows how to play you, you won’t get away with this strategy again.

If you are new to the game, BGA algorithm will pair you with novices to the game. If you are focusing on inexperienced players - you‘ll likely win. Like in any other game on BGA.

Impact No. 4: Adapt your strategy!

Is there a strategy to outwit your opponent? Yes, there is. Don‘t run with the pack: be sure to leave none for the other player. Plant more trees… and there are more.

Impact No. 5: Winter is coming… yes, this game keeps you on your toes. Again.

So what might be interpreted as balancing issue simply mirrors nature. The game play is just fine - no need to fix anything!
oranjon

Post by oranjon »

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Thanks for the feedback on Forest Shuffle and your concern this game might be imbalanced at some point.On behalf of Lookout Games I’d like to state the following:

…….

Impact No. 1: In a 2 player game, 30 cards of the whole deck are discarded at the beginning. Are there any deer | wolves in it? If you do the maths - that‘s WHY this rule applies in 2 player battle. You won’t know which 30 cards are off limits.

…..

Impact No. 4: Adapt your strategy!

Is there a strategy to outwit your opponent? Yes, there is. Don‘t run with the pack: be sure to leave none for the other player. Plant more trees… and there are more.

….

So what might be interpreted as balancing issue simply mirrors nature. The game play is just fine - no need to fix anything!
Hi. I realise that I am a beginner at this game but I found this thread very interesting.

BTW I really like the game. Great vibe, mechanics and art. Very excited about the possible strategies.

That’s why I was quite disappointed with the official reply above to some very detailed and well researched posts questioning game balance.

In particular, I do not think it is valid to argue that since a certain number of cards are out of the game at the start a particular strategy is weaker. ANY strategic choice at the start is weakened if you don’t know what cards there are. Are there enough European hares? Are there at 8 species of tree? Are there 5 different butterflies? I think it’s actually more fun to not know the card distribution, but it doesn’t make the deer strategy weaker.

The argument that a good player should deny deer related cards to their opponents does not prove that it’s balanced. If anything it implies that it’s more valuable to deny a particular card than it is to draw a card that you actually want.

I have heard this argument with many games in the past: “Yes this strategy is very good, but if you can disrupt it, then you have levelled the playing field.”

That just means that one player has to simply concentrate on their good strategy, while the other player has to disrupt, and also try to maximise their weaker strategy.

Oh. I’ve gone on too long.

In summary: In my opinion it’s best to have several powerful strategy options. Then players get to make interesting “should I disrupt or should I build” decisions.

If there is one strategy more powerful than others, then it leads to less interesting decisions.

Because I admit I’m a beginner, I certainly don’t know if the deer strategy really is clearly “the strongest”, but if it is, then the official reply doesn’t really solve the problem.

Hope this is worth your time.
Goatfryed

Post by Goatfryed »

Thanks bga for reseting my comment on preview. Teaches me to make it short

1. deer/wolves scale with to many options while being highest vp per action. High reward, low risk. Makes it dominating
2. trees stronger than deer/wolves and scale well with deer/wolves which allows you to deny by build. Also has other nice combo potential with e.g. 0 cost 10point moss and wolves. Every had your oponent play 7 0 cost cards with mole for 60 vp? mhhh delicious. Trees > deer strat. And beginners are not playing it. win, win
3. deer/wolves stronger in 3+ than in 2 player game for above reason. Tree build wins the 2p game
4. game is nice on 2player, because you have a single strategy with high adaption requirement. Both play the same strat shifting weight. The one that outplays/outsmarts wins. Between good players it's actually really cool. But don't expect this game to be strategic. It's really just tactical.
5. raccoons are highly underestimated. 10 card hand. play 1, pay 1, keep 2, trash 6 that your opponent wants/you don't and draw 6. raccoons are the most reliant option to deny good cards.

TLDR: Game good for 2 player, but don't expect it to be strategic.

Good thing that deers don't scale based on numbers of same card like lizards, hare, butterflies, orange tree. You want alot in general, but you aren't limited to single types. Thank's for explainig why they are strong.
Impact No. 2: Small birds or amphibia feasting on insects? Good points, small points. Being the most powerful species in the habitat, wolves & deer WILL secure lots of points. This looks like a safe bet.
Last time i checked the player with more vp wins. What's the impact here?
Impact No. 3: Once your opponent knows how to play you, you won’t get away with this strategy again.
Yes, because he's playing the same strategy. Idea for expansion: more cave trash to actually deny without playing the same strategy.
Impact No. 4: Adapt your tactic!

Is there a tactic to outwit your opponent? Yes, there is. run faster than the pack: be sure to leave none for the other player. Plant more trees… and there are more.
Fixed that for you. This is not a multi strategy game. It's a single strategy game that keeps you on your toes to the tactical decisions following your strategy.
My only complain is that it looks stategic at first which makes a big difference between new and experienced players until these players learn that a butterfly is not on top of the food chain in a huge tree full of wolves.
And we all know which animals hide in the winter. ;)
I whole heartedly i agree. This game does not need fixing. Posts like these help new players to find the right direction to win, but a change is imho not required. Yet, i still see potential for improvement in future expansions. Says the one that never buys expansions.
Rutabaga00

Post by Rutabaga00 »

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Thanks for the feedback on Forest Shuffle and your concern this game might be imbalanced at some point.On behalf of Lookout Games I’d like to state the following:

Forest Shuffle is specifically designed to work with all player counts. While it can be almost cosy and tranquil with more players, it is the most competitive with 2p, that‘s for sure.

Any feel of imbalance is due to players exploring ALL options in this game and developing your strategy on the go: adapting to changes is mandatory.
First of all, i love your game. Congratulations!

But thats because i love it, because i care about it and i think that the number of games i played speaks for itself that i must say that there is a serious problem of balance when the game is played 1-vs-1.
The deer/wolf combo is just to good to be ignored, or even avoided, and that last part is the real problem.

After studying an awful lot of games, when you look at the replays of the high-ELO players, the pattern is more than obvious.
There is a limit in the number of replays you can do, so right now, i cant push forward anymore in that matter.

I dont know what the policy is here in regard to data and anonymity, i dont want to cause trouble, but over a sample of 1-vs-1 games involving 450ELO+ players (against 200+ ELO players, 1vs1, with the game reaching the winter, no conceded victory, in order to have a clean sample), the success rate of the players having the most D/W is near 80%-85%.
The close to the top you get, the bigger it is.
Winning without them (which occurs 15%-20% of the time) is just as common than beating the higher-classified ELO player (in the sample i got, it happens 20% of the time).

In another words, it is just as easy to beat top-players than winning a random game if you play without D/W.

The game is not balanced enough, as you may try everything else, the odds are still massively against you. In a game where there are 158 cards, its quite a shame that everything got to be decided by only 10% of the deck.
Which is why i find this answer puzzling and disappointing. It solves nothing, like oranjon said.

The game, on the other hand, is a very good fit for a 3 players-battle.
You just need to check the last games of the two russians players ahead of me (Thursday) in Arena Mode.
I checked their last 5 games, each.
Only 1 win by the player (alone) with the most D/W. Much more difficult to get a majority. More interestingly, there are 6 (!) upsets in those 10 games in which the player with the most D/W did not won. This could be the small sample, but the gap is just too big to ignore.
There is a clear difference in how the game is open enough to allow you to find different roads in order to win.

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Like IRL, the habitat at your table thrives or suffers from impacts:

Sure, you dont know which cards are missing.
But thats actually increasing the odds of making D/W the only winning combo as these cards are more common than the others ! When in doubt, follow them rather than hoping for a miraculous bat to save you. That only happens in comic books.

There are more wolves (4) than tree ferns (3).
(Even worse, tree ferns can be used only on the bottom of the trees which makes D/W faster and safer to setup because D/W can be placed either left or right.)

There are 12 deers cards if im not mistaken (with 2 of them having 2 deers in each side).
Thats twice the number of common toads (6) and thats more than rabbits (11). Rabbits which will likely need a fly agaric, a mole or (and ?) a silver fir to be successful in this setup, decreasing even further the odds of success.
Only 2 moles, only 3 salamanders, well, you get the idea, you have better odds at taking the deer road. They're just more common in the game.
You will get some, mathematically, its almost a guarantee.

Cutting 30 cards out of the game is more likely to kill any threat to the D/W combo rather than decreasing his power. Because alternative roads needs several low-probability picks to (unlikely !) work make them unworthy of your time.
I understand that this bring a welcome dose of uncertainty, but the D/W cards are still statistically going to be more common, and it makes alternative roads more unlikely to bring points as some parts of it, which are rare enough already, are going to be even more uncommon in the deck.

Losing a mole or a gnat is a disaster for the balance of the game. Its obviously more unlikely that losing a wolf or a deer, but the cost, in terms of gameplay, was, i think, underestimated, in testing.

D/W is the easiest source of points AND the biggest one, thats the main problem.

(I believe the biggest source of points should not be that easy to get, there should be much more risks involved in that.)

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Impact No. 2: Small birds or amphibia feasting on insects? Good points, small points. Being the most powerful species in the habitat, wolves & deer WILL secure lots of points. This looks like a safe bet.

If you are new to the game, BGA algorithm will pair you with novices to the game. If you are focusing on inexperienced players - you‘ll likely win. Like in any other game on BGA.
There is so many blind drafting that this just cant be true.
The game is not about doing the best combos anymore. A lot of cards are simply useless and some are absolutely NEVER played. Whats the point ?

In 1-vs-1, the game is about picking as many fresh cards as possible in order to get as many D/W as possible.
Considering the necessity of planting trees (which leave one card open for the opponent), there is a serious element of pure luck involved.
If you give away 2 deers when planting your first 3 or 4 trees, congrats, you're trailing by 15 points already.
You can improve your odds with mushrooms, but it is mostly the luck that will decide the fate of the game. You get D/W, or you don't. Just as simple as that. Whats the point of that ? Its uninteresting.

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Impact No. 4: Adapt your strategy!

Adapting ? D/W is 10% of the deck (16 cards out of 158), there is no way around it.
It is impossible to strictly prevent your opponent of following that road as a player will pick around 50 cards. The probability that one of the player doesnt get several D/W is just too small, really small by the way, to bank on it.

So where does that leave us ?
The game is not a good fit for a 1-vs-1 play as it stands. Most of the gameplay in that mode is dull, because there is a road much better than the others. How can we claim that the game is balanced if thats the case ? A short look at the results and games of the top players show evidence of that.
There is no combos to look for, no alternate roads that can be used to counter-attack. On the long run, you will be behind, 100% of the time.

The odds are much more balanced with 3 players, as you have to play around 35-40 cards, and there are 2 opponents.
D/W can (and will) be spread over 3 players. There is an element of mutual neutralization, because its still a lot of cards, but you cant count on being sure of having several D/W, its not statistically true anymore in term of probability.

5 players may be pushing your luck (more randomness involved), but then, hedgehogs are finally playable cards.

TLDR :
D/W is statistically overpowered in 2 players game.
A slight change is necessary in order to save it from boredom. Especially if changes are to come for the next season of Arena. Changes that would be destroying whats good about the game, which makes it hard to understand. We really want to have the fate of your game decided that way ?

I understand that wolves are at the top of the food chain (there is a case to be made about the brown bear, but thats not point), but it should be much more difficult/costly to play them in order to balance the game as it is. On the other hand, deers are way too common. 12 cards, thats too much.

Thats too late now, but i believe that the power of the roe deer card (3 pts per card in that color) should have been given to an insect for instance. With the power of the lynx being transfered to a bird-card, something like an hawk.
That would have improved the balance of the game as well as the geography of the points. And by being above/bottom cards, they need more trees to be setup than D/W which makes them more expensive and riskier.
Otherwise, maybe find a number of endangered species that cannot be taken out of the cards at the opening of the game. In order to get a much better balance between D/W and the rest.
Other idea : Practically, a cap in the number of deer species could be setup for 1-vs-1. For instance, a player can play only 2 out 3 species (roe deer, red deer or fallow deer). Or the wolf should be played only by paying cards, amd maybe adding 2 to get to a total of 5 cards, to make it really costly.
Those are suggestions, and need tuning of course.

But right now i cant buy the game because of that unbalance, honestly, and i dont get why we potentially should move to 1-vs-1 and really dumb ourselves down in that gamemode.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

reikja wrote: 18 November 2023, 07:26 Like IRL, the habitat at your table thrives or suffers from impacts:

[...]

To which oranjon responded:
oranjon wrote: 02 December 2023, 00:49 That’s why I was quite disappointed with the official reply above to some very detailed and well researched posts questioning game balance.

In particular, I do not think it is valid to argue that since a certain number of cards are out of the game at the start a particular strategy is weaker. ANY strategic choice at the start is weakened if you don’t know what cards there are. Are there enough European hares? Are there at 8 species of tree? Are there 5 different butterflies? I think it’s actually more fun to not know the card distribution, but it doesn’t make the deer strategy weaker.

The argument that a good player should deny deer related cards to their opponents does not prove that it’s balanced. If anything it implies that it’s more valuable to deny a particular card than it is to draw a card that you actually want.

I have heard this argument with many games in the past: “Yes this strategy is very good, but if you can disrupt it, then you have levelled the playing field.”

That just means that one player has to simply concentrate on their good strategy, while the other player has to disrupt, and also try to maximise their weaker strategy.
I think both are true: Yes, deer + wolves are some of the strongest cards in this game, and you're right that the points they made in that post don't disprove the power of deer. In fact, they directly stated that "Being the most powerful species in the habitat, wolves & deer WILL secure lots of points" - so they weren't trying to argue that these aren't the strongest cards. At the same time, having more powerful cards does _not_ in and of itself mean the game is unbalanced, and that's what they were trying to explain. Yes, deer+wolves are stronger than most other cards, and no, that does not make the game unbalanced, it's part of the design.

The game has a lot of deer cards. In a two player game, nearly always you will both get access to a bunch of them. If you are playing against an inexperienced or unskilled player, then yes this does make it easy to win: You know what's stronger in the game better than the other player. But when both players know the game well, both will try to deny deer from each other, and at that point, the game is much more likely to be decided by a) what _other_ strategies each player pursues, and b) how good they are at managing their use of their hand size and the clearing - which influences their ability to deny deer, and other cards, to the other player, as well as their ability to draw better cards.

Just because disrupting the other player's deer-playing is an important part of the two player game, doesn't make it unbalanced, if both of you know that's a thing you should be considering and both of you are equally trying to disrupt the other. But if you're up against a good player and you prioritize only deer (both your own and denying them to the other player), more often than not you'll lose. Because the good player will be doing some of that, but will also strike a balance with other priorities, and they'll end up with a more robust strategy that can better respond to the luck of what they draw.

When I was newer to this game a few months ago, and first saw this discussion, I did try the prioritize-deer-over-all strategy for a while. I found that it was inconsistent and not that great. Sure I did win games with it, but I also got beaten by people who pursued other strategies, played fewer dear, and on balance had stronger forests. Winning against low-ELO players by prioritizing deer over everything else was not hard, but against good players that strategy really depended a lot on luck: Basically maximizing my deck draws and hoping to draw more deer than them. Since I shifted to a better mix of strategies, with deer as one component but not always the #1 priority, I think that luck factor has decreased and I'm able to complete with higher-ELO players more often.

Personally, I think the biggest weakness of the existing deck and interactions is how useless insects are. Since I got reasonably good at this game, I've been beaten by all sorts of things - trees, birds, deers, hares, even a beech marten focused deck recently - but never by anyone relying on bugs.

That's why I posted "Boost the bugs!" here: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33765
Last edited by Cos- on 16 January 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
reikja

Post by reikja »

And once again: never underestimate the small species. Insects will come in handy with future #expansions
Zmajoubica

Post by Zmajoubica »

Deer will kill this wonderful game. :(
oranjon

Post by oranjon »

Cos- wrote: 10 January 2024, 02:17 Just because disrupting the other player's deer-playing is an important part of the two player game, doesn't make it unbalanced, if both of you know that's a thing you should be considering and both of you are equally trying to disrupt the other. But if you're up against a good player and you prioritize only deer (both your own and denying them to the other player), more often than not you'll lose. Because the good player will be doing some of that, but will also strike a balance with other priorities, and they'll end up with a more robust strategy that can better respond to the luck of what they draw.
Thank you Cos for a very thoughtful and useful reply. I must admit you have convinced me of the nature of your argument that good players recognise the higher value of some cards and play accordingly. And therefore not every card needs to have the same potential value to make the game balanced. Indeed the game will very likely be boring if every card has the same value.

Taking that into account, I would still suggest that D/W value exceeds a healthy threshold of balance. (Just not by as much as I previously argued). Perhaps Wolves could only score 3 per deer? They would still have their good card drawing ability.

Or could Deer cost 3 cards instead of 2?

Or in your opinion, should the cards best be left as they are?
Andrewsmile

Post by Andrewsmile »

I was one of the first posters on this thread back in September, and I took a bit of a hiatus from forest shuffle because I was winning 90%+ of my games by hard focusing deer back when people hadnt figured out how to optimize yet and I felt the game was unbalanced. I definitely don't think I have any sort of incredible skill at the game, just that I figured the deer strategy out quicker than average. I came back this month, wary that people would be playing around deer and I would need to diversify my strategy- perhaps the meta has settled and games would be closer. I read this forum post where a developer with a 26% winrate and a strong financial incentive to claim that there were no issues jumped in to assure us that we just weren't getting it and the game actually is balanced. So I thought I'd give it another go. I played 10 games in arena, and to my surprise I won 9 of them- and often by a large margin. These games in addition to all my previous only reaffirmed my suspicion- this game is wildly imbalanced.

Now Cos- was correct: "having more powerful cards does _not_ in and of itself mean the game is unbalanced"- the game is not imbalanced because some cards are better than others, rather because ~30% of the cards are completely unplayable in any sort of competitive setting, 40% are mediocre (or propped up by tree ferns), and 30% are mathematically superior. Among the unplayables are almost all bugs, squeaker, wild boar, hedgehogs, all butterflies, the birds that don't draw cards (frankly I think all birds are unplayable because they aren't strong enough with the marginal exception of the owls, you need minimum 2 goshawks early to know if a main bird strategy will work, ideally 3, lots of jays, and in general the strategy takes too much luck to be reliable), all the bats unless you get supremely lucky and have a good backup strategy, lynx, gnat, and then not the reptiles but ONLY because tree ferns as a card is far too strong. Without tree ferns, many of the reptiles are unplayable as well. Regarding birds, consider that goshawk requires you to discard 2 cards for 3 points per card, whereas tree ferns lets you discard only 1, draws a card, and doubles the points per card. Surely birds on their own must be much better to compensate this right? Not even close.

To win against a competent opponent, you basically need 1 of the 3 main playable packages: deer, reptiles, or hares (you need mole or the animal mushroom for hares usually). But its actually even purer, because those strategies rely on single cards that provide unparalleled value that let you win against an opponent counterpicking: wolves, tree ferns, and red foxes (chanterelle gets a bonus mention for singlehandedly allowing you to sneak out wins through sheer value generation). As so many people have said, everyone will probably get some deer. There are many in the deck, and there are dozens of cards during the game that your opponent will see that you can't counterdraft. But in high elo lobbies someone who gets luckier with tree ferns and wolves will simply win the game- there are games where you will get lucky, there are games where your opponent will. Skill will express itself in the games in the middle, which is where the fun is.

I'll say again what I said months ago, which is that I don't think this makes the game bad, it's pretty and it's fun. It just isn't competitive. I'd like to refute Oranjon who said "Indeed the game will very likely be boring if every card has the same value". If you haven't seen this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTo1C7-OpM&t=0s
detailing how Ark Nova cards are mathematically balanced, it's a great insight into how you can have diverse and interesting cards that are well balanced even though some are better than others. I can't imagine anyone on here is thinking "I hope they don't make butterflies give more points because then the game will be less fun". I guess I look forward to these "future #expansions" that make insects come in handy...
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Here's a good example of what I was talking about: https://boardgamearena.com/9/forestshuf ... =462730676

In this game I ended up winning, but it was pretty close.

Both of us were, I think, trying to get deer and keep the other player from getting more deer, and in this instance, their luck was better on that front: They were able to play 4 deer + 2 wolves, while I ended up with only 3 deer and no wolves. In part because after seeing what cards I got in the early game, I decided to focus on other things and let a couple of deer pass me by in the latter parts of the game. But on balance, I ended up scoring more overall, despite choosing to focus away from deer and having the other player play twice as many deer+wolves cards as I did.

I see a lot of games like this. I win some, and lose some, but it doesn't feel "unbalanced". Deer+wolves are strong, so both I and the other player try for them and try to prevent the other from getting them, and how the game ends up scoring depends just as much on what other strategies we pursue, and how flexible we are to be able to work with the card-drawing luck we have - for example, holding on to that first goshawk for a few turns to see if I get another goshawk and could prioritize birds, but also ready to give up the goshawk if bottom cards being to seem more promising.

Deer+wolves are among the strongest points engines in the game, but I disagree that that makes the game unbalanced.

(I do continue to think that the weakness of the bugs is the main flaw)

Return to “Forest Shuffle”