Team play setting in 4 players game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
duckjai

Team play setting in 4 players game

Post by duckjai »

Hi all SA players,

SA is a game in a large difference between 2 players game and 4 players game. I am not sure if it has been discussed before but it is possible to introduce team play 2 vs 2 in a 4 players game? In my opinion, the current 4 players game have a lot of factors not under your control. Once it become team play, it would be more tactical.
Remkar

Re: Team play setting in 4 players game

Post by Remkar »

duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 19:41 Hi all SA players,

SA is a game in a large difference between 2 players game and 4 players game. I am not sure if it has been discussed before but it is possible to introduce team play 2 vs 2 in a 4 players game? In my opinion, the current 4 players game have a lot of factors not under your control. Once it become team play, it would be more tactical.
I've never heard of 2 vs 2 in Stone Age. Was this added in one of the expansions? (I've only played the base game.). I'd be curious to see the rules.
duckjai

Post by duckjai »

Remkar wrote: 11 September 2023, 20:04

I've never heard of 2 vs 2 in Stone Age. Was this added in one of the expansions? (I've only played the base game.). I'd be curious to see the rules.
ah no but it is just my idea, i guess the winner situation can be something like:
1. The team with the highest score of sum of 2 team players
2. The team with the highest score of player within all player
3. The lowest score player is not in your team
etc.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 20:30
Remkar wrote: 11 September 2023, 20:04

ah no but it is just my idea, i guess the winner situation can be something like:
etc.
Ah, it can't be implemented here then. Only official variants are allowed on BGA.
admitted

Post by admitted »

I’m interested. We occasionally do 2v2 tag team in Competitive Ticket to Ride community

We play by ABBA turnorder (p1 and p4 on a team). Teammates discuss on discord/zoom what cards each other have and what moves they agree to play back to back. Games are unrated without timer
cigma

Post by cigma »

duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 19:41 SA is a game in a large difference between 2 players game and 4 players game. I am not sure if it has been discussed before but it is possible to introduce team play 2 vs 2 in a 4 players game? In my opinion, the current 4 players game have a lot of factors not under your control. Once it become team play, it would be more tactical.
duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 20:30 ah no but it is just my idea, i guess the winner situation can be something like:
etc.
Allthough this looks interesting to think about, I wouldn't call this a "variant" so far, but just a vague idea. As a variant, you should have to set the exact rules, not only for scoring, but also for gameplay (e. g. if sharing information / tools / food / resources / cards, player order,...). You should test different variations to see which works best. Designing a good game or game variant is hard work!

I am not sure how you rate the team play as "more tactical" if you don't have two defined sets of rules to compare.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
duckjai

Post by duckjai »

cigma wrote: 16 September 2023, 08:05
duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 19:41 SA is a game in a large difference between 2 players game and 4 players game. I am not sure if it has been discussed before but it is possible to introduce team play 2 vs 2 in a 4 players game? In my opinion, the current 4 players game have a lot of factors not under your control. Once it become team play, it would be more tactical.
duckjai wrote: 11 September 2023, 20:30 ah no but it is just my idea, i guess the winner situation can be something like:
etc.
Allthough this looks interesting to think about, I wouldn't call this a "variant" so far, but just a vague idea. As a variant, you should have to set the exact rules, not only for scoring, but also for gameplay (e. g. if sharing information / tools / food / resources / cards, player order,...). You should test different variations to see which works best. Designing a good game or game variant is hard work!

I am not sure how you rate the team play as "more tactical" if you don't have two defined sets of rules to compare.
Thanks for your point, it is inspiring, from a very intuitive thought, I guess the teammate share the information but not tools, also it would be better if the order is set so that the member of each team play alternatively A1>B1>A2>B2.
The reason why I think of it is that i did not have much control when playing 4 players game, especially compare with 2 players game.

Return to “Stone Age”