automata waits till a player push 'start' button ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Fuchur

automata waits till a player push 'start' button ?

Post by Fuchur »

Hi,

i recently joined a barrage-table (without checking all the settings). It took me several days to find out that one of the other players is in fact a bot (https://boardgamearena.com/6/barrage?table=414841225).
There is something funny about the way the bot is playing : it seems to me that one has to allow him to take his move, by pushing a button called "start".
Is this the normal behaviour of bots ? Doesn't it slow down (unnecessarily) the game ? Because usually i don't look at tables where it isn't my turn to play. If the two other human players have the same habit no one will see that it's the turn of the bot ... and no one will allow him to do it's move.
Tisaac

Re: automata waits till a player push 'start' button ?

Post by Tisaac »

Fuchur wrote: 12 September 2023, 16:44 Hi,

i recently joined a barrage-table (without checking all the settings). It took me several days to find out that one of the other players is in fact a bot (https://boardgamearena.com/6/barrage?table=414841225).
There is something funny about the way the bot is playing : it seems to me that one has to allow him to take his move, by pushing a button called "start".
Is this the normal behaviour of bots ? Doesn't it slow down (unnecessarily) the game ? Because usually i don't look at tables where it isn't my turn to play. If the two other human players have the same habit no one will see that it's the turn of the bot ... and no one will allow him to do it's move.
Yes it's the normal behavior. This allows to check that the automa is working as expected.
It does not drag the game because there is always an active player at that step. It's simply impossible to have no active (human) player around the table at any moment on BGA.
So usually the human player before the automa just plays its turn then see it's automa and just click "run/start".
Fuchur

Post by Fuchur »

Tisaac wrote: 13 September 2023, 12:18

Yes it's the normal behavior. This allows to check that the automa is working as expected.
It does not drag the game because there is always an active player at that step. It's simply impossible to have no active (human) player around the table at any moment on BGA.
So usually the human player before the automa just plays its turn then see it's automa and just click "run/start".
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I will try to pay attention to this. I guess some time got wasted at our table because i failed to see that "start"-button.
Fuchur

Post by Fuchur »

Tisaac wrote: 13 September 2023, 12:18

Well, at our table this didn't work properly -- several times i caught the table being stuck because somebody had forgotten (? -- perhaps me ?) to "allow" the bot to play. Especially at the beginning of a new round, when the automat is the first player, there is a risk that no-one notices that the game is stuck.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Again, this is not possible because one player is active so they will see the table listed in the list of tables where they need to make a move.
If you really think it's not true, then file a bug report with a screenshot and a table number i can look at.
Fuchur

Post by Fuchur »

Tisaac wrote: 26 September 2023, 13:44 Again, this is not possible because one player is active so they will see the table listed in the list of tables where they need to make a move.
If you really think it's not true, then file a bug report with a screenshot and a table number i can look at.
I gave the table number in my first post. It's now finished and therefor i'm not able to do a screenshot of the situation : None of the 3 human players has it's clock ticking.
It occured at least two times that the table has stuck, the robot waiting for someone to allow him to play, but -- as no-one had that table as actif, no-one was going there and push the button. It was lucky that i scrolled through my tables (trying to find the ones corresponding to tournaments) and wondered why no hourglass was turning. Otherwise we would have waited for days and days to continue.
I'm not sure why this situation arrived. Perhaps it was purely my fault as i wasn't aware that i might need to allow the bot to move (and moved on too quickly to my next table instead of doing so) -- but once this has happened no-one else will be forced to look at that table. Especially when the bot starts a new round this might be a problem as i don't bother to wait for the clean up when i'm sure that i won't be me the first player of that next round...
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Fuchur wrote: 26 September 2023, 18:32
Tisaac wrote: 26 September 2023, 13:44 Again, this is not possible because one player is active so they will see the table listed in the list of tables where they need to make a move.
I gave the table number in my first post. It's now finished and therefor i'm not able to do a screenshot of the situation : None of the 3 human players has it's clock ticking.
It occured at least two times that the table has stuck, the robot waiting for someone to allow him to play, but -- as no-one had that table as actif, no-one was going there and push the button. It was lucky that i scrolled through my tables (trying to find the ones corresponding to tournaments) and wondered why no hourglass was turning. Otherwise we would have waited for days and days to continue.
I'm not sure why this situation arrived. Perhaps it was purely my fault as i wasn't aware that i might need to allow the bot to move (and moved on too quickly to my next table instead of doing so) -- but once this has happened no-one else will be forced to look at that table. Especially when the bot starts a new round this might be a problem as i don't bother to wait for the clean up when i'm sure that i won't be me the first player of that next round...
Please report it next time you encounter it.
Fuchur

Post by Fuchur »

Tisaac wrote: 26 September 2023, 18:35 Please report it next time you encounter it.
I will when i will again run into a bot (but i'm trying to avoid it).

Return to “Barrage”