Yahtzee update FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ufm

Yahtzee update FAQ

Post by ufm »

Today Yahtzees got the first update since 2020.
As there were lots of changes from the previous version, I will explain the reasonings behind them while writing down comments from players.

- The previous version was perfect. This whole thing is unnecessary!

No, it was not as these bug/suggestion reports say: https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=49
After all, 'perfect' in this case is a relative term.
If you are OK with the current implementation it can be considered perfect for you, at least.
FYI, there were ~200 bug reports in Yahtzee alone. Far from perfect from my perspective.

- Old version was much better. Revert right now!
- I hate this version.

Actually these comments solve nothing and do not help anyone as they did not address what the problems are at all.
I received a grand total of 0 bug reports/suggestions through BGA bug report system regarding the update.
To fix something, first you have to tell what you don't like. If not how can I know what the problems are? I can't read minds.

- The texts are in English.

Due to the translation complaints (mainly tooltips or upper section boxes) I changed a lot of texts in the game.
Indeed some translations have been lost, but you can add translations yourself if someone else hasn't done it yet:
https://boardgamearena.com/translationhq

- Don't like blinking effect on the sheet while rolling dice.

Fixed already. Sorry.

- Animation is too slow.
- Animation is too fast.

Oh well.
Anyway, the animation had to be modified as it caused a serious bug: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=16154

- Don't like the sound effects.

You can turn them off from preference option list.

- New version gives only 2 rolls instead of 3.

The number of rerolls did not change. The change is only for the cosmetics (1 -> 3 / 0 -> 2).

- The dice are rigged.
- Improve the algorithm.

Honestly, I had enough with these conspiracy theories.
Go ahead and check the game code yourself as it's available for everyone.

- Some players do not roll dice and just score points.

You are probably playing simultaneous mode.
That mode does not show the dice during each round and only reveals the result at the end of each round.
Please read the table description before joining the table.

- What are 'Castle' or 'Tower' combinations? / Some players reroll more than twice in a round!

You are probably playing Maxi Yatzy.
In that mode, players can 'save' unused rerolls and use them later.
Also, more combinations are added. Hover over or long tap the name boxes to check the tooltips.

- What is 'Crag' combination? / I can reroll only once?!

You are probably playing Crag.
In that mode, players can reroll only once per round.
Also, different combinations are used. Hover over or long tap the name boxes to check the tooltips.

- Any more variants?

There are tons of Yahtzee/Yacht variants all over the world. I can't implement all of them for obvious reasons.
I'll skip variants which do not have a significant difference, less popular variants, or variants without credible rule sources.

If you have something to suggest, please post a suggestion through BGA bug report system.
I'll be immediately notified by mail and other players can share their opinions too.
Thanks for playing BGA Yahtzee :)
Last edited by ufm on 02 October 2023, 05:22, edited 4 times in total.
Steeen

Re: Yahtzee update FAQ

Post by Steeen »

Has anyone played with 10 people yet?? What is it like?
Steeen

Post by Steeen »

The mobile board appears crisp. Clearer and crispier! The PC as well. The dice a rolling faster. I am enjoying Maxi Yatzy variation! Thank you!
Last edited by Steeen on 01 October 2023, 04:52, edited 2 times in total.
mitcharf

Post by mitcharf »

Thank you for all of the work you put into this!
caiopsoares

Post by caiopsoares »

Steeen wrote: 29 September 2023, 20:36 Has anyone played with 10 people yet?? What is it like?
https://boardgamearena.com/3/yatzy?table=423000480
youngathearttx

Post by youngathearttx »

Thank you for updating the game. :)
Can you please update the last line to be to called "Yams" rather than Yam, so that it is consistent with the rest of the language?
Thank you!

I have quoted the rules for Yams below. I do not believe that 98 points may be scored in the top portion.
From what I have observed, the point goal is 60, only allowing a score of 30 and a "bonus" amounting to the total of the count of pips above 60.

It appears that if your score is 63, it is reduced to 33.
If i am incorrect, can you please explain?
This hardly seems like a "bonus" to me.

Bonus
30 points + difference with 60 if 60+ in upper section

This is similar to Yahtzee but the bonus is calculated differently. The bonus threshold is 60 points, and is 30 points + the difference between the score achieved and 60. For example:

When you complete your upper with 63, you would score 63 + 30 + (63-60) = 96 points.

Thank you again!
ufm

Post by ufm »

youngathearttx wrote: 29 September 2023, 22:47 Thank you for updating the game. :)
Can you please update the last line to be to called "Yams" rather than Yam, so that it is consistent with the rest of the language?
Thank you!
There were several names for the rule set (Yam, Yams, Yam's) so I went to Yam instead of Yams.

youngathearttx wrote: 29 September 2023, 22:47 I have quoted the rules for Yams below. I do not believe that 98 points may be scored in the top portion.
From what I have observed, the point goal is 60, only allowing a score of 30 and a "bonus" amounting to the total of the count of pips above 60.

It appears that if your score is 63, it is reduced to 33.
If i am incorrect, can you please explain?
This hardly seems like a "bonus" to me.

Bonus
30 points + difference with 60 if 60+ in upper section

This is similar to Yahtzee but the bonus is calculated differently. The bonus threshold is 60 points, and is 30 points + the difference between the score achieved and 60. For example:

When you complete your upper with 63, you would score 63 + 30 + (63-60) = 96 points.

Thank you again!
It's the same as before. Changed to upper - 30 to clarify.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Thanks for refreshing yahtzee. I like the changes.

Thanks also for setting the annoying flickering on re roll back to a fade in as it used to be, much easier on the eye.
DrNewton

Post by DrNewton »

Is anyone else noticing unusual rolls?

Last night I got two natural yahtzees (5 of a kind on the first roll.) It was not in the same game, but within an hour or so of each other. The probability of this happening is non-zero (1/7776)^2 of course but it seems an odd coincidence.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual?

I am not suggesting this is a bug or that anything needs to change, only trying to collect data.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

DrNewton wrote: 30 September 2023, 16:40 Is anyone else noticing unusual rolls?

Last night I got two natural yahtzees (5 of a kind on the first roll.) It was not in the same game, but within an hour or so of each other. The probability of this happening is non-zero (1/7776)^2 of course but it seems an odd coincidence.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual?

I am not suggesting this is a bug or that anything needs to change, only trying to collect data.
Your stats are all wrong.

There is a 1/1296 chance of rolling a natural Yahtzee in a given roll (first die rolled doesn't matter, just the next 4 have to match it, 1/(6^4).

Then, there are 13 rolls per game, so your odds of getting at least 1 natural Yahtzee per game are just about 1% (0.9984556145%) per game.
Then, if you add in your opponent (I assume you would be just as concerned if your opponent got natural Yahtzees), we're now closer to 2% chance for 1 or more natural Yahtzees per game.

Then, you played 13 games last night, so the odds of you seeing at least 1 natural Yahtzee last night were about 23% (i.e., not low at all).

Then, if we consider the fact that you probably would have been concerned about quite a few other "low" probability events (2 natural long straights? both players getting 4 of a kind 6s back to back? Etc., etc.)... the odds that SOMETHING would have occurred last night that you could have perceived as irregular was probably getting close to or higher than 50%.
Last edited by Remkar on 01 October 2023, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yahtzee”