Opinion on no robber until 3 points in ranked?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
magic35

Re: Opinion on no robber until 3 points in ranked?

Post by magic35 »

Rules are rules and only should be changed if you can, however the program does not allow you to change the rules, only by agreement. So on that note I imo you should stick to the program rules... it's the same for everyone.
Gigglesmush

Post by Gigglesmush »

Confirm in chat or get robbed. We need a three way consensus or we cant trust that our friendly robs will be reciprocated. The worst is when two players play friendly and then the third player, usually the highest ranked, robs someone at two bc they want a brick.

Additionally, failing to answer isnt enough to be seen as hostile or cheap, but you probably should have said something. Probably could have avoided this.

Some players are dirty, they build right in your way, and their goal is obviously to take out one of the two competitors right away. When a player sets up in a direct attempt to ruin my game, and then breaks friendly robber to try and finish me off, you can bet im robbing them period for the rest of the game. Spite begets spite, play with honor and be nice in chat and you'll rarely experience this level of toxicity.

Kaladry wrote: 30 September 2023, 10:55 I was just in a ranked game where someone suggested no placing the robber on someone until they had 3 points. I wasn’t in the mood to chat and also that is more of a friendly play than something to do in ranked imo so I just didn’t respond. This player then runs his clock down to 5 seconds while spamming the chat trying to get me to agree to it and also asking to abandon the game if I didn’t want to. Then the whole game that same player only blocked me with the robber (even whilst I had only 2 points) and yet I actually didn’t get a chance to even use the robber until the other player had 3 points and I stole from him anyways. He was just very petty and trying to provoke me in the chat over it. Of course I red thumbed him but what do others think of not using the robber until 3 points in a ranked game?
josephine w

Post by josephine w »

I’ve just been moaned at by a much higher ranked player for not observing this “rule” which nobody had put in the chat. They then mocked me for being ranked lower than them, and laughed when they eventually won. This is supposed to be fun, but it has genuinely made me feel sad, so no more BGA Catan for me.
sopadequinoa

Post by sopadequinoa »

jonnyp29 wrote: 07 January 2024, 00:41 people should assume that if a 7 is rolled at the start then theyre going to get robbed (like in real life catan). However, if being friendly at the start is so important to someone then they should propose 'friendly til 3?' during the placements of the settlements at the start. if everyone agrees then great. If someone doesnt agree then thats fair as those are the rules of the game (8/10 people would agree to be friendly til 3 anyway).

I think that we should accept that some people like to be friendly at the start of the game and some are competitive. personally i am competitive, early game development is so important, and choosing to steal or be friendly could make a huge difference as to who cuts a rival off with a road or a key settlement. But at the same time being friendly til 3 has its advantages too, you can buy loads of dev cards for example.
I 100% agree with this, ranked or not ranked. No one should assume friendly robber is being played without asking first (at the start of the game, that is). Getting upset at other players for playing by the official rules is even worse. I personally prefer to play without friendly robber, however, if other players propose friendly robber at the beginning of the game, I will go along with it. Asking nicely goes a long way.

It looks like the amount of players wanting to play friendly robber has increased significantly lately. Even though it would be a nice implementation, I don't think BGA will add this game setting as it's not an official rule. But who knows...
Last edited by sopadequinoa on 21 March 2024, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
TheDadshine

Post by TheDadshine »

Fromper wrote: 09 January 2024, 20:07 Honestly, I'd prefer if the official Friendly Robber rule was implemented on the site as an actual game option. Then, if people want to play that way, they can. And those that don't want to play that way won't. It's the negotiating about it whenever someone suggests it that's the annoying part right now.
100% agree with this
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

josephine w wrote: 29 February 2024, 21:07 I’ve just been moaned at by a much higher ranked player for not observing this “rule” which nobody had put in the chat. They then mocked me for being ranked lower than them, and laughed when they eventually won. This is supposed to be fun, but it has genuinely made me feel sad, so no more BGA Catan for me.
I had this same experience yesterday, I ended up second and this toxic guy ended up third, he swore to rob only me because I didn't agree to friendly robber, to make sure I didn't win. Would not stop pestering and tried to make me feel inferior. Looked into my stats so he could throw it in my face my win rate was only 33%, and his was 66%, mentioned both twice, acted very entitled. Reported and red thumbed him.

Ever since I played this one game where we were all rolling seven over and over, and it didn't feel like Catan, it felt like a game of hot potato, I've stopped agreeing to friendly robber.

There was this one game where a guy told me I had lost my immunity as a 2 VP because I had robbed someone who was 3+ VP, and while playing I checked the official wording of the expansion scenario rules, and quoted it to him, and he just got snide and rude.

I also notice that the official rule says when using the friendly robber you're not supposed to cover the hexes of a player with only 2 VP, and people don't know or don't care, they go to rob someone 3+ VP and place the robber on a hex that has settlements of both next to it, robbing the 3+ and leaving the hex of the 2 VP blocked.

I don't agree to friendly robber anymore, Standard/Official only, there's no way to enforce house rules, players will be just as likely to not know the full wording of the rule or abandon it if it doesn't suit them anymore. It makes no sense that I should be treated like a cheater, or made to suffer any abuse, for sticking to the official rules!
CrossbowRC

Post by CrossbowRC »

I just ran into this last night, somebody said I should be ashamed that I didn't observe a rule no one mentioned to me ever and that it usually only happens with someone <100. I guess I am over >200 so I must know better? It is foolishness. Play the game.
GnimRodd

Post by GnimRodd »

I think the three points robber limit is dumb. We are playing to win, right? and what's the point....after three points, the robber is all over the place. I a friendly " house rule" that has not place in serious play....

like...a no Checkmate rule in chess....until 5 moves have been made....? ridiculous...
Yossarian Daum

Post by Yossarian Daum »

This happens all the time-- even when people haven't announced they would like to do the 'friendly' robber thing-- which amounts to adding a new rule to the game.
I will do it if people ask, but it's a bad idea that disrupts normal game play.
HelloPossums

Post by HelloPossums »

TheDadshine wrote: 26 March 2024, 15:10
Fromper wrote: 09 January 2024, 20:07 Honestly, I'd prefer if the official Friendly Robber rule was implemented on the site as an actual game option. Then, if people want to play that way, they can. And those that don't want to play that way won't. It's the negotiating about it whenever someone suggests it that's the annoying part right now.
100% agree with this
I also fully agree with this suggestion. I find using the robber right from the start slows the game down. The idea of a game option is a very good compromise.

Return to “Catan”