Strategic Variant Popularity?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Ceaseless

Strategic Variant Popularity?

Post by Ceaseless »

I see there is a Strategic Variant that allows players to have 3 tile options instead of 1. How popular in this variant of the game?
RobertBr

Re: Strategic Variant Popularity?

Post by RobertBr »

Ceaseless wrote: 08 October 2023, 06:23 I see there is a Strategic Variant that allows players to have 3 tile options instead of 1. How popular in this variant of the game?
The children's variant has a fair bit of popularity both on and off-line, which is why, very unusual on BGA, though it is not an official rule it is available. It makes the game much less frustrating for players who are less experienced, and I recall it being relatively popular when I have played 2 player, though I personally would not want to play a competitive game with it, precisely because it is designed to punish players less for mistakes.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

RobertBr wrote: 08 October 2023, 16:32
Ceaseless wrote: 08 October 2023, 06:23 I see there is a Strategic Variant that allows players to have 3 tile options instead of 1. How popular in this variant of the game?
The children's variant has a fair bit of popularity both on and off-line, which is why, very unusual on BGA, though it is not an official rule it is available. It makes the game much less frustrating for players who are less experienced, and I recall it being relatively popular when I have played 2 player, though I personally would not want to play a competitive game with it, precisely because it is designed to punish players less for mistakes.
That is interesting, could you elaborate on why this is the case for Carcassonne? My initial thought was that expending the options so you are not tied as much to the luck of the single tile draw would increase the skill of the game by reducing variance and increasing choice. However, I have minimal experience with Carcassonne and am still learning the basics, so it would not surprise me that there are things I overlooked specific to the game itself.
fmiskolc

Post by fmiskolc »

My group of experienced Carcassonne players plays almost all our games w/ the strategic variant. Allows for way more complicated planning ahead on all sides by taking some of the immediate luck factor out of it.

For example if you have a double road you can wait to use it until you have a crossroads piece in order to defend someone moving in on it; same thing with castles where the tiles that have diverging castles are great to stockpile to keep others from piling in. There's a few other tactics that have now become mainstays as well.

Definitely still enjoy the original version too but I think this is a more cerebral version that overall most of us seem to enjoy more.
ReblScum

Post by ReblScum »

I don't understand how giving each player three times the move options "simplifies" the game, such that it could be derided as a "children's option".
Anybody got a source for that condescending terminology?

AND fwiw, my child absolutely schools me in strategy games.
viv-

Post by viv- »

Having 3 tiles in hand obviously add complexity to the game.

It makes really more important than in 1-tile games "access control". Whenever you want to play a tile in a square, there has to be a tile near this square that give you access. If your opponent is controlling and never gives you access, your only way to play there is to try to give access to yourself by playing a first tile near it. But then it will be opponent's turn and he can choose how to defend the sensitive square.

If you build careless, opponent can often attack and share what you are building. However there are ways to build safely and let no opportunity for your opponent to do anything about it.

So, luck is still present but in a different manner. Having high quality tiles as city separators or monastries with road can be decisive.

Most players have no idea about what i'm talking. They don't want to think a lot and enjoy playing "best effort". Also with a god draw even a total beginner can win vs a master in 1-tile, which would never occur in strategic mode. Thus 1-tile is more popular.

And there is a big problem in strategic mode which is ending player. He will have 2 tiles vs 1 tile at the end, which mean most of the time he can add 1 meepo to the biggest field.

I tend to prefer playing strategic mode, but I also like when games don't last too long.

Return to “Carcassonne”