Arena : No more Yahtzee, but only YAMS rules ??

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
yrrepnadohr

Arena : No more Yahtzee, but only YAMS rules ??

Post by yrrepnadohr »

Hi, I just wanted to play a Arena game and I tried to set the rules on Yahtzee rules, but BGA site says, that I can't change the rules and have to play the Arena game with YAMS rules (??)

I am pretty much sure, that I have played Area games before, but with YAHTZEE rules.
Why yan I not change the rules in Arena any more ?

I'm not good in YAMS, only like to play with YAHTZEE rules.
ufm

Re: Arena : No more Yahtzee, but only YAMS rules ??

Post by ufm »

yrrepnadohr wrote: 12 October 2023, 10:56 Hi, I just wanted to play a Arena game and I tried to set the rules on Yahtzee rules, but BGA site says, that I can't change the rules and have to play the Arena game with YAMS rules (??)

I am pretty much sure, that I have played Area games before, but with YAHTZEE rules.

Because all Arena mode games are supposed to follow the same setting during a season:
https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=f ... tionconfig

If you don't like the current setting, you have to stick to normal mode until the season rules change again.
asterixytintin

Post by asterixytintin »

yrrepnadohr wrote: 12 October 2023, 10:56 Hi, I just wanted to play a Arena game and I tried to set the rules on Yahtzee rules, but BGA site says, that I can't change the rules and have to play the Arena game with YAMS rules (??)

+1, pleasee bga return to try yahtzee rules
OnsMart

Post by OnsMart »

BGA has properly ruined this season by changing to YAM.
What a mess.
Great way to piss off your paying customers
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

OnsMart wrote: 13 October 2023, 15:39 BGA has properly ruined this season by changing to YAM.
What a mess.
As far as I understand things, BGA had nothing to do with the game on BGA.

BGA supplies a coding framework and infrastructure for other people to create games on here (volunteers who do not work for BGA).

Then, arena season rules are usually determined by a "guru" vote. Gurus are the people that played the game the most in the previous season. So, I assume the gurus voted for this.

I have heard of some games where I think the developers choose arena settings for various reasons, but I think that is much less common.

So I think you have the gurus to blame if you're unhappy, not BGA.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, arena is one small facet of play on BGA, you always can always play regular Yahtzee in non arena games.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Remkar wrote: 13 October 2023, 17:03
OnsMart wrote: 13 October 2023, 15:39 BGA has properly ruined this season by changing to YAM.
What a mess.
As far as I understand things, BGA had nothing to do with the game on BGA.

BGA supplies a coding framework and infrastructure for other people to create games on here (volunteers who do not work for BGA).

Then, arena season rules are usually determined by a "guru" vote. Gurus are the people that played the game the most in the previous season. So, I assume the gurus voted for this.

I have heard of some games where I think the developers choose arena settings for various reasons, but I think that is much less common.

So I think you have the gurus to blame if you're unhappy, not BGA.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, arena is one small facet of play on BGA, you always can always play regular Yahtzee in non arena games.
You are correct. Developers of the game automatically become gurus and can cast a vote, but that's it.
Neither BGA nor the developer (in this case, me) controls the whole setting at all.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

Are there any rules for YAMS?

I don't mind playing a variant, but I'd like to know the rules first. I couldn't find any when I looked a month or two ago, just vague references on the Wikipedia for Yahtzee.
ufm

Post by ufm »

JohnnyCyclops wrote: 13 October 2023, 20:06 Are there any rules for YAMS?

I don't mind playing a variant, but I'd like to know the rules first. I couldn't find any when I looked a month or two ago, just vague references on the Wikipedia for Yahtzee.
Just hover over (or long tap in mobile) the name of each scoring box or check the table options in the lobby.
Everything is explained for each rule set.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

ufm wrote: 14 October 2023, 09:47
Just hover over (or long tap in mobile) the name of each scoring box or check the table options in the lobby.
Everything is explained for each rule set.
I'll look there, thank you. I enjoyed my first Arena season over the last three months playing normal Yahtzee. I'll give the Yams variant a try.
JohnnyCyclops

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

I've now tried YAM in the Arena. Not for me, as having played Yahtzee for four decades, it's too hard to think through a different system. I think the downside of using the "gurus" method to select game format is only those who continue to play in this Arena season will get to choose next season's format. Whereas I'll duck out at this point and just play "play now" games of Yahtzee for the next three months.

Return to “Yahtzee”