Arena scoring seems lopsided. Anyone else?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
starbar102

Arena scoring seems lopsided. Anyone else?

Post by starbar102 »

I’m not sure if this is simply because of the new 2 player Arena format, but the swing in scoring for Arena seems really big compared to last season.

For example, I was at Platinum 9, and played against a Silver 2 player (one who I know is an Elite player by season end, so very competent). I lost 5 Platinum points losing that match. Just played the same player again (now at Silver 8), and won, only to get 1 Platinum point.

I’ve also had games where I win and get no Platinum points at all! So I’m risking 5 points to win one or none? That doesn’t seem right. Can there be some match-making logic to try and match players of the same rank so the risk and reward are similar?

I’m scared to play lower ranks, because now that there is only one other opponent to beat, if I have a bad game or they have a really good one, the points lost is huge. One loss can wipe out 5 other wins because I’m only getting one Platinum point for beating lower ranks.

All in all, I need to play better and more consistently, but I’m curious of anyone else is having similar problems or has thoughts on this.
Jellby

Re: Arena scoring seems lopsided. Anyone else?

Post by Jellby »

starbar102 wrote: 16 October 2023, 17:52I was at Platinum 9, and played against a Silver 2 player (one who I know is an Elite player by season end, so very competent). I lost 5 Platinum points losing that match. Just played the same player again (now at Silver 8), and won, only to get 1 Platinum point.
It doesn't matter what you "know". For the system it's a Platinum player against a Silver player. You're supposed to win. If you do, you get very little (or nothing), because that's the expected result. If you don't, you lose a lot. That's the way it has always been.
I’m scared to play lower ranks, because now that there is only one other opponent to beat, if I have a bad game or they have a really good one, the points lost is huge. One loss can wipe out 5 other wins because I’m only getting one Platinum point for beating lower ranks.
Set your preferences to restrict opponents to closer to your league (level). Or wait until later in the season, so the good players are already higher in the rankings (expectedly).
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Jellby wrote: 16 October 2023, 20:02 because that's the expected result.
Well, the fact that the system sees this as the expected result is actually the core of the problem.
starbar102

Post by starbar102 »

It doesn't matter what you "know". For the system it's a Platinum player against a Silver player.
Yeah, I get that. There is no way for the system to know what I know at this point in the season. But the regular ELO score is a better indication if skill, so why not base the arena points gained/lost off the difference in ELO rather than the arena rank?

If I wait until later in the season to play (which is not fun for me), then the same problem exists for the Elite players, because they’ll lose a lot of points if they lose to me as I’m going through Silver/Gold/Plat, which isn’t really fair to them cuz they’re actually playing against an Elite level player.

I’m not complaining about it, it is what it is, and other players don’t seem to have an issue. It just seems much different than the last few seasons I’ve participated in.
Set your preferences to restrict opponents to closer to your league (level).
I will try this and see if it helps. I had it set at never play level +/- 2, will increase that to one.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

I AM complaining about it. Arena mode in it's current state is just utter nonsense on so many levels. And the fact that it hasn't changed a tiny bit for several years is making me hate BGA to some extent.
pliskin64

Post by pliskin64 »

What's going on on Arena? I cant get any points beating weaker players and I've lost 5 points in a single game because I've lost vs a player with my Elo!!! I'm stuck on Platinum level and it's simply impossible to get Elite, something that I normaly got in previous season, something is wrong here.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

FAQ helps: https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=f ... renaworks2
As pointed out by Jellby, it has always been like this.
pliskin64

Post by pliskin64 »

dschingis27 wrote: 23 October 2023, 18:33 FAQ helps: https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=f ... renaworks2
As pointed out by Jellby, it has always been like this.
Its some years I play on Arena at this game, never seen something like this.
starbar102

Post by starbar102 »

Yeah, I haven’t noticed it this bad and I’ve been playing Arena for the past three years.

I’ve been playing in the Elite tier now, and I win 28 points against a higher tier and lose 14. So I only have to win 2 out of 5 games to make progress. Of course until I get a higher level, but that doesn’t seem right. You should have to win more than you lose to progress.

Assuming the way Arena matches are scored is the same as it always been, then reducing it to 2p games is really what messed it up.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

starbar102 wrote: 25 October 2023, 06:33 You should have to win more than you lose to progress.
Why? What if you win more than you lose, but only against much lower-rated players? Elite Arena scoring (EAS) works exactly like elo.

Return to “Railroad Ink”