Kerosene during landing process

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Bobslya

Kerosene during landing process

Post by Bobslya »

Hello,
I have a question: We crashed in the last round, because kerosene was subtracted at the end of the landing process. I find it quite unintuitive, because normally if you have placed both engine dice the plane moves just in the round before. In this case it moves and brakes and comes to a standstill at the gate. In easier rounds, the game ends automatically, even if you have dice left. With kerosene you need to play til the end and kerosene is still subtracted. This somehow doesn‘t make sense to me somehow.
jordijansen

Re: Kerosene during landing process

Post by jordijansen »

The game will also end if you have dice left and your Kerosene level is 6 or higher. Not sure what you didn't understand, your Kerosene level was at 1 in the final round so you should have tried to place a 1 value die there in the final round.
Sparge42

Post by Sparge42 »

The kerosene module activates (fuel is consumed) at the end of every round, including the final round. It takes fuel to land.

From the rule book: “At any time during the game, even in the final round, if you hit the red X space, you have run out of kerosene and you’ve lost the game!”

To land safely, kerosene can be 0 at the end of the final round, but it cannot be less than 0.
Sparge42

Post by Sparge42 »

Point of interest…

We just played a scenario with the kerosene module. We were in really good shape on approach. Kerosene was at 12. We didn’t need to manage fuel the last round. We landed safely - clean and green.

https://boardgamearena.com/10/skyteam?table=433453434

At the end of the last round (game end), kerosene still read 12. I would have expected kerosene to drop by the default 6 since we did not play a die on it.

By contrast, if kerosene was 2 going into the last round, and we didn’t play a die to manage it, we would run out of fuel and crash. So, we know a fuel deduction occurs on each round including the last round.

It does not appear the kerosene gauge is updated after the last round for successful landings. For consistency, I believe the kerosene gauge should reflect the true amount of fuel left at the end of the game. I think the current inconsistency in fuel reporting might be the source of confusion for the original poster.

By the way, thanks for being such an attentive developer and bringing this great game for us to enjoy!
ElviejoDragon

Post by ElviejoDragon »

Sparge42 wrote:At the end of the last round (game end), kerosene still read 12. I would have expected kerosene to drop by the default 6 since we did not play a die on it.
By contrast, if kerosene was 2 going into the last round, and we didn’t play a die to manage it, we would run out of fuel and crash. So, we know a fuel deduction occurs on each round including the last round.
Yep, same remark here.
This is kind of counter-intuitive because at first, I thought that kerosene did not drop at the end of the last round.
It actually does! but for some reason, it does not show on the track if you still have enough kerosene to land.

So for instance, if you have less than 6 and do not place a die on the final round, you will run out of kerosene and crash.
But if you have 6 (or higher) and do not place a die, then the game does not show you that you've lost 6 before landing, maybe because it considers it irrelevant.
It would be nice to fix it and display the final level of kerosene no matter what.
jordijansen

Post by jordijansen »

The Kerosene level should now show correctly, even if the game is ended prematurely
ElviejoDragon

Post by ElviejoDragon »

Nice. Thank you!
(and thanks for your work on this game!)
Sparge42

Post by Sparge42 »

We just played a game where the kerosene gauge was not correct after the last round.

https://boardgamearena.com/1/skyteam?table=450763858

Kerosene was 8 going into last round. We did not need to manage kerosene the last round. After the last round kerosene should have dropped to 2, but still showed 8 at the end of the game.

Kerosene didn’t affect the outcome of our game, but I think having the gauge accurately reflect the remainder at the end of the game helps players realize that fuel is consumed on the last round.

Thanks!
jordijansen

Post by jordijansen »

Sparge42 your game ended when you placed the engine dice in the last round which caused a defeat. Since you didn't enter the end of round phase because of this immediate defeat the kerosene did not drop. I think this is correct, otherwise I would have to drop it with Axis failure as well and that seems weird doesn't it?

Return to “Sky Team”