President update FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ufm

President update FAQ

Post by ufm »

Today President got the first update since 2021.
As there were lots of changes from the previous version, I will explain the reasonings behind them.

- The previous version was perfect. This whole thing is unnecessary!

No, it was not as these bug/suggestion reports say: https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=1194
After all, 'perfect' in this case is a relative term.
If you are OK with the current implementation it can be considered perfect for you, at least.
FYI, there were nearly 100 bug reports. Far from perfect from my perspective.

- Old version was much better. Revert right now!
- I hate this version.

Actually these comments solve nothing and do not help anyone as they did not address what the problems are at all.
To fix something, first you have to tell what you don't like. If not how can I know what the problems are? I can't read minds.

- The texts are in English.

Due to the translation bugs I changed almost all texts in the game.
Indeed existing translations have been lost, but you can add translations yourself if someone else hasn't done it yet:
https://boardgamearena.com/translationhq

- What have been changed exactly?

Please check the player group post: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=6128810

- What are these new rules? I don't like these!

All options are described in the table option. You can select variants you want to play from there too.
Select 'Custom' in 'Rule set' option and then you can read everything.
Also, the current default mode (Moderate variant) adds nothing new except Downfall, which drops the President to the Beggar when they fail to get the first place.

- You should add variants I suggest!

As I can't add all variants in the world, adding variants has to stop at some point.
Also, adding variants is not always beneficial as too many variants split the player pool and make matchmaking harder and slower.
I added relatively widespread variants (e.g. illegal finish, downfall) and Japanese variants as they are more established and more common (FYI, #1 country of President's player number is Japan) compared to other suggested variants.

If you have something to suggest, please post a suggestion through BGA bug report system.
I'll be immediately notified by mail and other players can share their opinions too.
Thanks for playing BGA President :)
Gros_Flocon

Re: President update FAQ

Post by Gros_Flocon »

Sorry but these are too many changes at once. Yes, this game had bugs sometimes, but why not improve it instead of changing everything? You say you can't consider all variations, but it seems like you haven't consulted the players for their opinions at all. I am very disappointed. As a member of BGA, I will complain about these too many changes.
Gros_Flocon

Post by Gros_Flocon »

Bring back the old version please and make a Japanese version or extension. There's too many changes. I don't know what BGA will do if I request a refund of my membership because theses changes? It's like a new game and I didn't pay my membership to play this one .

For other players, file a complaint with BGA. Do you pay for membership? Put pressure on BGA to get your money back.
nicotacotac

Post by nicotacotac »

Gros_Flocon wrote: 04 November 2023, 20:43 (...)It's like a new game and I didn't pay my membership to play this one .

For other players, file a complaint with BGA. Do you pay for membership? Put pressure on BGA to get your money back.
You pay a subscription for the entire site, not just for a specific game. Since you also play other games, including premium ones, your argument doesn't hold up.
Gros_Flocon

Post by Gros_Flocon »

There you go, now our arguments don't hold water. So reductive of you.

You know, my subscription allows me to play other games, but I mainly play 4 games. And if I pay for my subscription, it's to avoid having to wait before starting a game and to have access to the statistics.

So YOUR ARGUMENT IS NOT VALID because it is mainly to play President for the reasons mentioned above. And my argument is correct.

And that doesn't change anything about the current issue: you made numerous changes without consulting the players and you completely distorted a game for obscure reasons, except to please Asian players.

You could have offered an extension to the game like the Ticket to Ride game or allowed you to play the initial version like the Yathzee game.

With this insane decision, you will alienate a lot of players. I persist and encourage all dissatisfied players to file a complaint with BGA
Gros_Flocon

Post by Gros_Flocon »

By the way Nico, I don't understand why you're commenting here, you've only played one game of President.
Gros_Flocon

Post by Gros_Flocon »

Fun fact:Since all these changes, it is interesting to note that only 15 games of President have been played in the last 6 hours. We can see that there is great enthusiasm for this new version.
ufm

Post by ufm »

@Gros_Flocon The average number of games per day was slightly above 30. 15 / 6 hrs is good compared to the average, as you said.

Consulted French rule sources as well as almost all of these requests is from players living in French-speaking country.

I was barely able to find credible sources mentioning '2/3 cannot be skipped', so I'll consider this a bug neglected for 3 years rather than an established rule. You'll have to deal with it.
In contrast, indeed I found some credible sources ambiguously describing pass rules or explicitly not allowing players passed to play cards later.
So, I added 'permanent pass' variant as a new option.
However, according to https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=21875 I added a pass warning which can be deactivated from preference option list.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Fixed bugs in zombie mode (in some games it caused near-infinite loop) / pass warnings (pass warnings are not supposed to be in normal games).

In permanent pass games, the warning can be deactivated by changing preference option. It's even written in the warning message...
This is added to prevent players from being surprised by permanent passes as the bug report I linked in the player group.

While doing so, added 'unskippable 2/3' option as well.
Gros_Flocon

Post by Gros_Flocon »

With the latest additions and changes over the last few days, we will be able to play like before. Thank you!

Return to “President”