Game is Unplayable

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Paikea

Re: Game is Unplayable

Post by Paikea »

Hello,
I have gone through some posts here in this backgammon forum now.
The reason is, that after having played quite some games here and a lot more games outside BGA, that the algorithm seems to be very weak.
So what makes me think of that...

1) the number especially of 6/6 rolls here is just ridiculous. I wish I could have an insight into all my played games stats
2) before I take out a blot of my opponent, I sometimes tell myself... I would bet amount X now if a 6/3 shows up, when a 3 is the only available point to enter and I am having a blot on my 9 point (this is just an example, but situations like that have occured quite often).

About stats... I also do play poker, where you can also tell your % chances in every situation. Often there is just one card helping you on the turn + river to improve your hand to the nuts, and those chances are below 10% In Backgammon, there are also situations, where you need the nuts roll. If that is a double, for example 5/5, the chances for that are 1/36 = 2.8%. If the nuts roll is 3/1 the chances for that are 2/36 = 5.6%
Now... regarding how often those rolls occur here, they beat the odds very well in the long run. On professional poker tables, you dont see those nut cards showing up even as close as often as the nut rolls show up here on BGA.

Also... I understand, that double rolls do feel nice, and therefore they would attract all kinds of players. So an algorithm that will make doubles show up more often than their odds are will make this game more attractive to some kind of players, like if it said: odds for a 6/6 roll in general are at 4% instead of 2.8% and for a 6/6 ater a takeout even higher (thats where they love to appear on BGA)...

I wish the algorithm could get checked very well, probably substituted by another one that has proven to be working fine.
Also I wish that the format would get changed to "first to 3 points" including the double die (with the known exceptions). That would make the arena modus a LOT more attractive :)
Waikirikiri

Post by Waikirikiri »

If you don't like the BGA version of the game then don't play it and don't complain about it.

If everyone didn't play the game BGA would notice and change it.

The number of complainers is much less than the number of players. What does that tell you?

Be kind to yourself, go and play somewhere else with a version you like better.
Paikea

Post by Paikea »

Waikirikiri wrote: 26 March 2024, 21:34 If you don't like the BGA version of the game then don't play it and don't complain about it.

The number of complainers is much less than the number of players. What does that tell you?

What a kind and friendly reply. In the future, please simply ignore my posts, and I guess your behaviour here is not welcome nor wanted anyways.

I hope this is not common in this forum and something gets done against such rude posts.
Last edited by Paikea on 28 March 2024, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Paikea

Post by Paikea »

..and just after I replied here, it happened again in my next game... only roll my opponent needed badly was 6/3 - chance 2/36... and what was rolled? :shock: :D
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Paikea wrote: 28 March 2024, 11:36 ..and just after I replied here, it happened again in my next game... only roll my opponent needed badly was 6/3 - chance 2/36... and what was rolled? :shock: :D
I have to defend Waikirikiri even if he was very direct and not very friendly.

But his message is absolutely true. If you believe that the implementation is not correct then you either have to stop playing here or collect data to prove a mistake. If you are a tournament poker player you know how that should be done.

BGA has announced in their FAQ how random events are handled here. If you don't believe them then again: either stop playing or collect data.

Just claiming false facts (6-6 are rolled 4% of the time on BGA) or discussing events after they happened is fruitless.

As a tournament Backgammon player I claim for myself that I would have "felt" a wrong distribution - which is not the case. And I say that after an unprecedented losing streak of mine (10/11 losses)! I you "feel" the contrary, see above...
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Paikea wrote: 28 March 2024, 11:23 What a kind and friendly reply. In the future, please simply ignore my posts, ...
You are promoting and repeating a baseless conspiracy theory by weaponizing your own ignorance of how random distributions - its really weird that you expect people to be actively nice to you.

There are a number of people like you (though a tiny proportion of players) who do not understand how random distributions work who come to forums to push silly conspiracy theories. Occasionally a user who actually understands will explain but in 99% of cases the poster doubles down and refuses to believe that their complete lack of understanding might be wrong or to listen to people who actually understand (which you don't). So, generally other users don't want to waste time patiently providing a child friendly explanation.

But they make the engagement because its important this not spread as it is actually harmful - it makes it much harder to spot when there is an actual problem (which on one occasion there actually has been, though it had nothing to do with BGA rigging the rand() function).

So, if you don't want unkind remarks or comments don't post baseless conspiracy theories about things you do not understand (that isn't actually very complicated).
Waikirikiri

Post by Waikirikiri »

Paikea wrote: 28 March 2024, 11:23
Waikirikiri wrote: 26 March 2024, 21:34 If you don't like the BGA version of the game then don't play it and don't complain about it.

What a kind and friendly reply. In the future, please simply ignore my posts, and I guess your behaviour here is not welcome nor wanted anyways.

I hope this is not common in this forum and something gets done against such rude posts.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't consider my post as rude.
If you think that post was rude then you live a very sheltered life.
It was curt, blunt, honest, restrained and to the point.

Many complain about the BGA version of games (not just Backgammon) but continue to play on BGA.

I was and am just tired of those who post complaints without real statistical justification.
It is your choice where you play and where you complain.

I was serious when I suggested that you play somewhere else as the BGA implementation seems to aggravate you and therefore playing somewhere else may indeed be better for your mental health.
Paikea

Post by Paikea »

Waikirikiri wrote: 02 April 2024, 20:36
Paikea wrote: 28 March 2024, 11:23

Thanks for your reply.

I don't consider my post as rude.
If you think that post was rude then you live a very sheltered life.
It was curt, blunt, honest, restrained and to the point.

Many complain about the BGA version of games (not just Backgammon) but continue to play on BGA.

I was and am just tired of those who post complaints without real statistical justification.
It is your choice where you play and where you complain.

I was serious when I suggested that you play somewhere else as the BGA implementation seems to aggravate you and therefore playing somewhere else may indeed be better for your mental health.
It seems as if you somehow love acting harsh on others here, being proud of your self declared honesty which is "to the point" as you claim.
For me there is no basis for any future communication with you, especially after you even think you can judge other people´s life, talk about other people´s mental health, or tell people where to play. Your advice was not even asked for, but if it makes you feel great and outstanding... enjoy yourself ^^ but I dont want any advice from a being like you in the future. Thanx.
Waikirikiri

Post by Waikirikiri »

Paikea wrote: 04 April 2024, 23:56
It seems as if you somehow love acting harsh on others here, being proud of your self declared honesty which is "to the point" as you claim.
For me there is no basis for any future communication with you, especially after you even think you can judge other people´s life, talk about other people´s mental health, or tell people where to play. Your advice was not even asked for, but if it makes you feel great and outstanding... enjoy yourself ^^ but I dont want any advice from a being like you in the future. Thanx.
If you don't wish me to reply then don'treply yourself.

I don't consider either of my posts harsh though you clearly do.
I do pride myself on the honesty in my communications - which you clearly don't.
If you don't want further communication that's your choice.

BTW I do have a great life, I do enjoy myself, I don't get hung up on the randomness or not of online gaming.

If you post in online forums you should expect a variety of replies, some you like some you don't.

Am I trolling you? A little. Enjoy.

Return to “Backgammon”