Settle Debate Please

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
BusError

Re: Settle Debate Please

Post by BusError »

I've never RTd someone from a forum post before. First time for everything.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

MrMisterMystery wrote: 24 November 2023, 14:03 I didn’t link a game bc it’s not about the game,
It often is about the game, even when the questioner doesn’t realise it. Typically we can’t safely bluff out a multi using a colour clue, but context can make a big difference. Earlier clues can provide context that does allow bluffing out a multi.

So it’s reasonable to ask for a link to the game. You don’t have to provide that link, but you should be polite when asked for it.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

And so about your first post, you still don't know who is right or wrong.
Maybe that 770 elo player got others reasons to think that situation isn't the usual case.

It's fine if you want a general answer, but your first post was about something specific, so that don't work well together. And that's why people asked for the game.
elamate

Post by elamate »

You are wrong. Actualy many ways to bluff out multi color card.
Example: r1 already played.you clue 3 m1 play.
Start of the game
A clue red to C, B plays m1. C see B hand 2 copy of m2, if C do nothing B think its layered finesse so blind play until found g1 so to fix this C blind play finesse position. So this become double buff. So when you saying cant bluff multi color card is not correct
Ofc we dont see actual game so we dont know what happend.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

elamate wrote: 24 November 2023, 22:45 You are wrong. Actualy many ways to bluff out multi color card.
Example: r1 already played.you clue 3 m1 play.
The question concerned whether we can (safely) bluff out multi cards with colour clues. This doesn’t count. Number bluffs work pretty much the same way for multi as they do for non-multi.

But since you bring up this example, I want to point out that this is a bad bluff. Do not bluff out 1 by cluing 3.

The problem with this bluff is that the response does not fully reveal the bluff. The player who receives the 3 clue cannot see that the colour of the played 1 does not match the colour of the clued 3. That means the clue-receiver should attempt to play 2r, which typically misfires.

Generally, number bluffs have to draw out a response card that is the same number or higher than the clued card. If you clue a 3 to draw a 3, there is no sequence of play that leads from the played 3 to the clued 3; the bluff is fully revealed by the response, and play stops. (If playing with Black Powder, if the response card is black, it needs to be the same as or less than the clued card. The colour of the clued card is not typically a factor.)

Beyond that, we’ve already acknowledged that context can change things. The fact remains that we can’t typically bluff a multi using a colour clue.

And elamate, your description is confusing, so I’m not sure, but it seems to me that you don’t understand what layered finesses are. It looks like you might be confusing them with long finesses.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

If any of the involved players may think it's a finesse (plain, layered or long) and bomb, then it's not "allowed".

If the finesse interpretation is not possible, because of the clue and played card themselves, or because of context (visible cards, previous clues, discards) then it becomes a simple bluff.
MrMisterMystery

Post by MrMisterMystery »

BusError wrote: 24 November 2023, 14:50 I've never RTd someone from a forum post before. First time for everything.
Seeing how you RT everyone in existence I’m shocked you even get games going.

I asked a strategy question, a specific game link is not required. I did have a follow up post I forgot to include “color clue” which may have caused some confusion as someone mentioned using number bluffs.

But again, my question was basic and answers went complex (if/if/if). If you draw an avalanche mc card off a color clue, would it being a bluff be invalid?
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Since you don't want any "ifs" involved then the answer is simple.

If you gave me a red clue, and the player between us played M2, then I would play my red card thinking it's M3.
MrMisterMystery

Post by MrMisterMystery »

Wreckage wrote: 26 November 2023, 02:06 Since you don't want any "ifs" involved then the answer is simple.

If you gave me a red clue, and the player between us played M2, then I would play my red card thinking it's M3.
Like the problem with many forums, not just games, someone asks a specific question and answers go into the obscure <shrug>
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Going back to read the original post, I see they played M1, not M2, as I stated. My answer is the same though, I play the red answering what looks like a basic finesse.

In what way did I go obscure? It's impossible to give a more straight forward answer.

Return to “Hanabi”