Major revisions of Help & Tips

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Blacktango

Re: Major revisions of Help & Tips

Post by Blacktango »

Imo, both wiki pages should focus on what is useful during the game, what is the most common.
If players want to go deeper into the subject, they can find more resources on the web, but the aim of these wiki pages is to help players to get into the game, eventually reach an intermediate level, with a solid foundation.
But mathematical/statistical considerations shouldn't be developed in the wiki pages.
Sammy McSam

Post by Sammy McSam »

Thanks for the feedback so far. A number of edits:

Section order
Gamehelphanabi major revision
  1. ▭ Overview
  2. ▭ Setup
  3. 1⇧Game play
  4. 1⇧Game end
  5. 3⇧Conventions
    1. 1⇧Standard convention
    2. 1⇧Finesse convention
    3. 2⇩Definitions
  6. 3⇩Options
  7. 1⇩ELO rating
  8. 1⇩Cheating
Tips_hanabi major revision
  1. 1⇧Thinking
  2. 1⇧Cluing
  3. 1⇧Discarding
  4. 1⇧Playing
  5. 1⇧Triggering the final round
  6. 1⇧Worked example: first moves
  7. 1⇧Skip / steal
  8. 2⇧2 Player strategy
  9. ▭ Advanced moves
  10. 10⇩Average clue tokens per played card
Skip section reworked
+Example
+clarification
-headings
-contradictory skip save

Play refusal section reworked

Definitions section
Grouped into 3 levels
+Reclue
+Stall clue
+Long finesse
+Layered finesse

Advanced moves section
+Long finesse example
+Layered finesse example
+improved trash bluff example
+Finesse bluff example

----
Malo
I would sugget you edit the main hanabi wiki page directly so we can react / add details when needed.
Big updates may lose other peole changes and are difficult to proofread and correct by others.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss how the pages should be. These major revisions are largely starting from scratch.
Stall clue: A clue allowed in some case just to avoid discarding but does not infer a play from other players
e.g. some conventions allows clues like a 5 stall at the begining of game, or giving a clue when having a full hand
Stall clues come in many forms. My aim is to keep definitions as concise as possible without going into convention-specifics.
Scream discard: An unexpected and not chop card discard
When a player has a play, a scream discard will usually be the chop card.
Mark 0 new cards (but better than a wrong play clue that causes a bomb)
Not sure what you mean - If a clue that marks 0 new cards is given to avoid a bomb, that would be a fix clue.
Missing the other double bluff with 4 players situation: 1 blue on board. You clue a blue card (a 3) so the two next players play they first card.
One example for double bluff should be enough to understand the concept, not sure how your example is/is adding.

----
Travis
Colourblindness:
Colour word in examples e.g. "red [red card]"
+Examples avoid red with green.
I might create templates using colour symbols.
I tested with my screen reader and cards are inaccessible. Card numbers and colour symbols are images with no alt text / ARIA labels.
A “Standard” table may actually be assumed to use the Finesse convention simply due to that being the most common convention on the site
IMO it's user error to not choose the finesse option for a finesse convention table.

Until now I assumed Standard convention was a basic version of finesse.
I found no references to standard convention, so maybe it is best to omit it and not try to define it.
Double Bluff description is just plain wrong.
Double bluff section was correct, but poorly worded. I have made it clearer.
Also, nothing about that requires the use of 1-away-from-playable bluffs.
Removed
Even the description of finesse doesn’t say why Bob responds to the clue.
Improved

----
HGM
+p/k
Conventional Leftism differs from BGA standard: it allows for finesses, and it changes the focus of a clue to the left-most-logical card, instead of the newest unmarked card.
In CL, Alice can give blue-clue to mean: play B2, save B5. In Standard blue-clue would mean: play newest blue-card (it is B3) after playing B2.
Do you have references for CL (or standard) that can be added to Convention used?

Move conventions to tips: does anyone else have an opinion?
* Convention used definitions are needed in the Options section on the help page.

Out of the scope of help & tips pages:
* Cheating algorithms
* Conventions not in the convention used option list.
* Suggested changes to ELO calculation
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

I would add a link from the Gamehelp wiki to let people know that the Tips wiki exists. (Eventually saying that if you are in game, that you can see it by switching tabs)
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Sammy McSam wrote: 11 December 2023, 16:53
Double Bluff description is just plain wrong.
Double bluff section was correct, but poorly worded. I have made it clearer.
Also, nothing about that requires the use of 1-away-from-playable bluffs.
Removed
Even the description of finesse doesn’t say why Bob responds to the clue.
Improved
Unfortunately I can’t read these changes. There appears to be a technical difficulty with your page, related to heavy use of templates. This might not apply on the real pages (either due to higher limits or because this will be split across two pages).
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Sammy McSam wrote: 11 December 2023, 16:53
Mark 0 new cards (but better than a wrong play clue that causes a bomb)
Not sure what you mean - If a clue that marks 0 new cards is given to avoid a bomb, that would be a fix clue.
I suggest not calling a clue that marks 0 new cards a “bad clue”. A bad clue is a clue that produces an undesirable outcome. Really, that’s rarely the case with a clue that marks no cards. Usually the worst outcome is a wasted token, and if the player is forced to clue it isn’t even wasted, really.

A clue that touches no cards at all is generally called an “empty clue”. A clue that touches only cards that are already marked is a “re-clue”. Empty clues are sometimes done just because a player is forced to clue (locked hand, 8 tokens, avoiding a discard in the end game) but can be done in other situations to convey useful information.

If you advise new players that empty clues are bad, they will avoid using them when they should (thus giving clues that cause misfires when their hand is locked, for example) and ignore them when a useful empty clue is given.
Sammy McSam

Post by Sammy McSam »

this will be split across two pages
Correct, Tips_hanabi major revision is now on its own page. You'll need to follow the link at the bottom of the existing page to view it.
A bad clue is a clue that produces an undesirable outcome.
Depends on your definition; previous editors seem to have had a higher standard. As you've raised this, I've removed "0 new cards".
Ant Stewart

Post by Ant Stewart »

Jellby wrote: 08 December 2023, 09:08
Travis Hall wrote: 08 December 2023, 03:35
Ant Stewart wrote: 07 December 2023, 04:36 Under discards, perhaps mention that you should not discard in the first round of the game. Your first turn must be either a clue or a play.
Or perhaps not. There are certain circumstances where discarding in the first round of the game is actually the best thing to do. Strict avoidance of discards leads to a lot of wasting of tokens, loss of bluff opportunities, or even bad clues. I’d rather have players think about whether there is something they should be doing rather than discard than to have them clue automatically.
I agree. Not assuming discards are forbidden in the first turn also allows cluing plays on chop in the second turn: If I didn't save your 1 on chop the first turn, it probably means it's not 1k.
Not discarding in round 1 (at least in base game) is quite an important assumption.

Suppose, the player after you has r1 in the finesse position. And the 3rd player has say r5 on chop, followed by g2.
I would start the game with a play clue on greens, bluffing g2 to save the 2, knowing that they won't discard the 5 on chop because discards in round 1 are forbidden.

Not discarding on round 1 doesn't change the meaning of the clues, so it doesn't prevent anything from being given as a play / save. But it does mean that you have much more chance of saving 2s in the starting hand, and that a player starting with a 5 on chop, doesn't prevent a load of plays.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Ant Stewart wrote: 14 December 2023, 14:56 Not discarding in round 1 (at least in base game) is quite an important assumption.

Suppose, the player after you has r1 in the finesse position. And the 3rd player has say r5 on chop, followed by g2.
I would start the game with a play clue on greens, bluffing g2 to save the 2, knowing that they won't discard the 5 on chop because discards in round 1 are forbidden.
Then consider advising players to favour giving a good clue over discarding in the first round. I would still advise players to actually think about what they should be doing, not relying on over-generalised rules that may not apply in the current context.

Because if I’m second player, and first player does not clue me or give a clue asking me for a response, and I see neither a valid play clue nor a valid save to give, I’m going to discard. If there’s precisely one valid clue available to give, and you don’t want me to discard, let me clue it.

I’ll repeat that, because it’s an approach that is much more broadly applicable than “never discard in the first round”: If there’s precisely one valid clue available to give, and you don’t want me to discard, let me clue it.
Ant Stewart

Post by Ant Stewart »

Travis Hall wrote: 15 December 2023, 02:44
Ant Stewart wrote: 14 December 2023, 14:56 Not discarding in round 1 (at least in base game) is quite an important assumption.

Then consider advising players to favour giving a good clue over discarding in the first round. I would still advise players to actually think about what they should be doing, not relying on over-generalised rules that may not apply in the current context.

Because if I’m second player, and first player does not clue me or give a clue asking me for a response, and I see neither a valid play clue nor a valid save to give, I’m going to discard. If there’s precisely one valid clue available to give, and you don’t want me to discard, let me clue it.

I’ll repeat that, because it’s an approach that is much more broadly applicable than “never discard in the first round”: If there’s precisely one valid clue available to give, and you don’t want me to discard, let me clue it.
I think this issue is that there isn't enough information in the first round to determine if it is better to throw a clue, or discard.

Some example scenarios.

1: I am playing first, followed by Bob, followed by you in 3 players, 6th colour, difficult.
You have r5, multi3, multi4 in your hand. It is impossible to save all of that in time. With no discards first round though, 2 could be saved at the start and then next round, the other one.

2: Same orientation. You have r5, g2 on chop. Bob has r1 on the finesse position. I want to be able to clue you greens to bluff out the 1, saving the valuable 2, knowing that you won't discard your 5 on chop.

3: This time you are P2 and Bob is last. Bob has r1 on chop say and g1 somewhere else in the deck. You have y2 on chop, and r2 elsewhere.
If I let you clue Bob, you will likely clue Bob both their 1s, and then will play g1 first, after which you would discard y2.
Instead I would rather skip you and clue r1 directly, knowing that you won't discard on round 1. Then when Bob plays r1, I can then give you a 2s clue next round, getting you to play r2 and saving the other.

4: Same orientation. You have a 5 on chop, and r2 somewhere else, Bob has all 3 r1s, one of which is on finesse. The cleanest way to get these our would be to clue you r2, to reverse it, this avoids creating lies on the 1s if you can't bluff in my hand. However, it relies on knowing you won't discard the 5 on chop.

---

Conversely the disadvantages of never discarding in round one.
1. You potentially waste a clue.
2. It slows down the time taken to get a new potentially useful card into you hand.

I would argue that the reason why you would have to waste a clue is because there is nothing useful you can clue instead. And if the two other players have nother useful, either all 3 players have nothing useful so you'll be back at 8 tokens soon anyway, or you have the useful cards and discarding risks loosing them.

As for slowing the game down, I think being slow for a third of a round, to potentially allow for 2s to be saved is worth it in my opinion.

---

Personally I would far rather waste a clue and a turn, than loose a savable 2. Especially playing without flamboyants, if you are unlucky, that 2 could limit your score to 27 on the second move.

I agree that there are situations where there is nothing worth clueing, but I don't think you can identify those based on just 1 or 2 clues and what you can see, so across all games, I think that never discarding on round 1 would gain you more than it will loose.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Ant Stewart wrote: 22 December 2023, 03:02 Conversely the disadvantages of never discarding in round one.
1. You potentially waste a clue.
2. It slows down the time taken to get a new potentially useful card into you hand.
Actually, I’m far more worried about players not thinking through the scenario than I am about these effects. Some of your scenarios are demonstrating the problem.
Ant Stewart wrote: 22 December 2023, 03:02 3: This time you are P2 and Bob is last. Bob has r1 on chop say and g1 somewhere else in the deck. You have y2 on chop, and r2 elsewhere.
If I let you clue Bob, you will likely clue Bob both their 1s, and then will play g1 first, after which you would discard y2.
Instead I would rather skip you and clue r1 directly, knowing that you won't discard on round 1. Then when Bob plays r1, I can then give you a 2s clue next round, getting you to play r2 and saving the other.
See, here you’ve made an assumption that I need a strict rule to prevent a discard. I don’t. Your clue tells me more than you are accounting for.

If you clue red to 1r, you are telling Bob to play, but you are also telling me (as the player in between)
  • My chop is not unique, because you should save it if it is.
  • 1r is an urgent play, because otherwise you would favour 1s; this hints that I hold 2r, and since 2r is not eligible for a save, it could be on my chop.
I’d favour cluing green for 1g over a discard even without noting these deductions, but with them I definitely should be cluing.

Also, if you were to clue empty, and I clued 1s, and then you clued 2s, I should wait to see if 1r plays before attempting to play a 2.
Ant Stewart wrote: 22 December 2023, 03:02 1: I am playing first, followed by Bob, followed by you in 3 players, 6th colour, difficult.
You have r5, multi3, multi4 in your hand. It is impossible to save all of that in time. With no discards first round though, 2 could be saved at the start and then next round, the other one.
This one is a variation of the classic B: x x 1k 5 scenario, one I would rarely encounter because I hardly ever play non-Avalanche. Even so, you don’t need a ban on discarding in the first round to deal with it.

Notice how I said that if you don’t clue me or leave me a clue to give when I am second seat, I will discard? I won’t discard if you give me a save clue, because I am aware that the scenario exists in which two saves are required.

That awareness extends to when playing with a full suit of unique multis. Unless you allow cluing multi as a save, that setup may require saving your entire hand one card at a time. “No discards in the first round” isn’t even enough here, as with 3 players, 5-card multi, and Black Powder, you may be saving into the third round.

So rather than “no discards in the first round”, a principle of assuming your own chop is not safe to discard unless you have observed another player to choose not to save your current chop is stronger. That principle extends well beyond the opening, too. Suppose you are playing 3-player, and after discarding you receive two saves; in the mid-game, you should often be aware of the possibility of a triple-save requirement, which would require you to clue to give your partners the chance for that third save.

By thinking the scenarios through, we maintain flexibility and safety.

Return to “Hanabi”