Norwegians is coming to town

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Guiscard

Re: Norwegians is coming to town

Post by Guiscard »

Wow, 50 different games played and 750 total games played. That is a crazy standard. I know the dev has nothing to do with this. Thanks again for making this happen. My wait continues!
kloaf11

Post by kloaf11 »

Ya those requirements are pretty steep. For a one off I get it. But for an expansion might make more sense for those type of testers plus people who play a decent amount of affo
GLEENISGUILTY

Post by GLEENISGUILTY »

I'm very eager to participate alpha tester, but wouldn't meet the requirements for alpha tester..T.T
I herard that alpha tester can invite someone to play it, is it true? If then, is there anyone who can invite me??? I'M SOOOOOOOO EAGER TO PARTICIATE!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
MasN

Post by MasN »

Is Emigration too weak with Norwegians?

Of course it's a perfectly fine late game scoring play, but a early emigration seems to cripple your engine too much to make up for the benefit.

Just to test this out, I tried a game where I forced myself to emigrate a knarr on round 2, (and otherwise played to the best of my ability and rolled amazingly well). I scored only 172 points. I think I could have scored 20 more had I not emigrated.

Of course, emigration still has its uses, but I think the game would be more interesting if early emigration was also a viable strategy.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

MasN wrote: 21 March 2024, 22:36 Is Emigration too weak with Norwegians?

Of course it's a perfectly fine late game scoring play, but a early emigration seems to cripple your engine too much to make up for the benefit.

Just to test this out, I tried a game where I forced myself to emigrate a knarr on round 2, (and otherwise played to the best of my ability and rolled amazingly well). I scored only 172 points. I think I could have scored 20 more had I not emigrated.

Of course, emigration still has its uses, but I think the game would be more interesting if early emigration was also a viable strategy.
It is probably the least interesting strategy, since grabbing and flipping boats does not even involve any sort of spatial puzzling. There was initially worry in the base game that emigration was overpowered. I don't think it is, but I am glad if it is a more minimal element in Norwegians, unless you have a card or two that focus on it.
Winney_ShaRp_ShOotEr

Post by Winney_ShaRp_ShOotEr »

I've played 4 games so far; and this adaptation is really well done. Only encountered one bug with the Tutor occupation card.
thank you for delivering this to the player base, developer! Everyone is excited I'm sure
Winney_ShaRp_ShOotEr

Post by Winney_ShaRp_ShOotEr »

MasN wrote: 21 March 2024, 22:36 Is Emigration too weak with Norwegians?

i've got enough elo to be qualified to reply with some certainty
early emigration is the worst 'good' action you can possibly take.
at this stage of the game you need to invest your resources into engines that will generate potentially a lot of points for you throughout the whole game (islands, animals, houses) ; not something that gives you a fixed value and some saved food which is super easy to come by anyway (and you also have to give up a ship which is by itself a massive investment early on!)

regarding emigration in Norwegians late game; with all the additional islands and animals the appeal of long houses fades significantly, so what's the point of doing it more than say once?
Terry898

Post by Terry898 »

Thank you very much for adding the expansion to the game.

May I know if anyone is able to add me to the alpha test?
MasN

Post by MasN »

I rescind my comments on emigration.
I've perfected an emigration opener, and was able to score 208 points with it.
I now think emigration is in a perfectly balanced spot.
(It is not overpowered, there are many strategies that are capable of scoring > 200 points.)
H_k__

Post by H_k__ »

I’m so excited to know that the Norwegian expansion is under development. Has the alpha testing started yet? Where can I participate in the alpha testing? I am a player who has played the Norwegian expansion many times offline, and I would love to be involved in the testing!

Return to “A Feast for Odin”