No ELO?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Travis Hall

Re: No ELO?

Post by Travis Hall »

Stroom wrote: 12 December 2023, 23:10 Master is not enough. Need at least on more tier 200 elo above master. Plenty of bad players still exist in 700-900 range.
I don’t disagree that a lot of players in the low end of master are not terribly good, but I think if I was to restrict games to players at 900+, it would usually take way to long to get a group together (at least for 4/5-player games).
Thereda

Post by Thereda »

I will really miss the Elo on this one. I play with the same couple of people and we like seeing how high we can get. It was fun to reach for new records. It made it so that there was incentive to do the best you can even if winning wasn't possible anymore.
gag1

Post by gag1 »

I agree 100% with this comment. And playing Hanabi is also about self-challenging by trying to improve one's ELO score through playing better.
soggysocks wrote: 12 December 2023, 22:24 I would love to know why this is happening also. Please bring elo back. Don't care about ranking top 100 or whatever, but if there is no problem with bombing out, play is completely different. Hanabi has been 90% of why I have paid for bga for last several years. Hope this is just temporary or we at least get explanation soon
schoolio

Post by schoolio »

Not happy about this change. Is it permanent or just a bug?
andr

Post by andr »

Being totaly poin blind is not nice. Hope it will be possible to see the ELO points at the end of the match, to check the progress
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Travis Hall wrote: 13 December 2023, 02:49
Stroom wrote: 12 December 2023, 23:10 Master is not enough. Need at least on more tier 200 elo above master. Plenty of bad players still exist in 700-900 range.
I don’t disagree that a lot of players in the low end of master are not terribly good, but I think if I was to restrict games to players at 900+, it would usually take way to long to get a group together (at least for 4/5-player games).
For 2p games, it is not that bad. The fewer players you have, one bad player has more chances to ruin the game. So it would be great if the elo ranges were more granual.
ufm

Post by ufm »

dsailorgirl wrote: 13 December 2023, 02:28 I'm glad it's gone. People get very fixated in their score and forget that it's a cooperative game meant for fun. It seems to me that the loss of elo points related to disagreements in how to play leads to a lot of hostility with high scorers. Perhaps people will play more nicely or not at all when their elo (aka ego) score is irrelevant!. Good move BGA! 👏👏👏
Unfortunately you're wrong for two reasons:

- Rating itself is unchanged. Only the values are hidden.
- Game scores are unaffected. Now they will be much more relevant.
Salanael

Post by Salanael »

dsailorgirl wrote: 13 December 2023, 02:28 I'm glad it's gone. People get very fixated in their score and forget that it's a cooperative game meant for fun. It seems to me that the loss of elo points related to disagreements in how to play leads to a lot of hostility with high scorers. Perhaps people will play more nicely or not at all when their elo (aka ego) score is irrelevant!. Good move BGA! 👏👏👏
I agree.
I was sick of toxic "masters" whining as soon as the others do not play as "perfectly" as them. ELO is for competitive games, not cooperative ones.
Jeffjass

Post by Jeffjass »

I do not like that change.

Return to “Hanabi”