No ELO?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
orgle

Re: No ELO?

Post by orgle »

Please reply to the recent ELO announcement to let the developers know that the changes to the ELO system (specifically hiding ELO) are detrimental to cooperative play in Hanabi.

ELO is important for understanding the experience levels of the players at Hanabi tables & giving appropriate clues and/or coaching. There is a big difference between Masters at 700 ELO and 900+ ELO, and we need to adjust the complexity of our clues to match.

If we can't see the ELO of the players at our table, then we're forced to A) dumb down all our clues, B) raise expectations for all players, or C) only play with players we already know are around our skill level. These are all bad options for the Hanabi community.

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33785
hfyr

Post by hfyr »

t-Max wrote: 13 December 2023, 01:16 Man... disabling ELO from view is not actually fixing the poor ELO system. What a bandaid.
Totally agree with this
orgle

Post by orgle »

Salanael wrote: 14 December 2023, 14:20
dsailorgirl wrote: 13 December 2023, 02:28 I'm glad it's gone. People get very fixated in their score and forget that it's a cooperative game meant for fun. It seems to me that the loss of elo points related to disagreements in how to play leads to a lot of hostility with high scorers. Perhaps people will play more nicely or not at all when their elo (aka ego) score is irrelevant!. Good move BGA! 👏👏👏
I agree.
I was sick of toxic "masters" whining as soon as the others do not play as "perfectly" as them. ELO is for competitive games, not cooperative ones.
ELO is useful for helping to understand a player's familiarity with accepted conventions. Hanabi is a cooperative game, but that doesn't mean it's not competitive -- it's a group challenge.

I'm not perfect, but I expect 900+ ELO Masters to understand the more complex conventions. It's not about "ego," it's about knowing that the players at my table will understand the clues I give, and they trust me to understand theirs and not bomb us out, or require recluing.

For instance, I don't expect a 700 ELO Master to necessarily understand that a promised card is as good as clued. So if that promised card gets to their chop, I'll likely save it with a number clue. But I DO expect a 900 ELO Master a) to move their chop by one, and b) if I clue that card with a number on the chop, then the whole table knows that it's being *reclued* for a reason.

I play because I enjoy the challenge of the puzzle. I absolutely love when a multi-hand layered clue goes off without a hitch. Or when a player understands when a multi-card numbered clue on the chop is for chop focused play, not leftmost. Or understand when a multi and colour card are tagged with a colour, the focus is the colour (unless the multi is playable).

ELO helps us all to make better choices at the Hanabi table.

If you're finding that you're disagreeing with players about how to interpret clues (particularly in 3+ player games), I highly recommend perusing H-Group's site. It's the most comprehensive Hanabi convention system around. Their more advanced conventions (like Layered and Clandestine) can be added in as your table's skill level increases. Most Masters on BGA play with H-group conventions -- even if they aren't aware of the source -- and Hanabi is better when everyone plays with the same conventions. You can play well enough without agreeing on the more complex conventions, but -- as you've experienced -- you're going to run into misunderstandings since you're actually speaking different dialects (like Mandarin and Cantonese both using the same writing)

Now, there's a difference between giving wrong/misleading/bad clues (and/or misinterpreting a good clue) and giving a subpar/inefficent clue. I think some people can be really quick to criticize subpar/inefficent clues and treat them as badly as a bad clue. But they are not the same. Bad clues cause bombs or require correction. Subpar/inefficent clues still work, but require more clues, delay play, or increase the loss of useful cards. Masters do commonly conflate the two, and bicker over subpar clues instead of gently coaching after the game. I will, however, admit to getting frustrated with bad clues/plays, but I'm equally quick to apologize when I've given a bad clue myself.

Some Masters get insulted when I send the following link because they don't think of themselves as "beginners" but it's just about making sure everyone has the same foundation. The site quickly advances to more complex clues, so just start with this:

https://hanabi.github.io/beginner

ETA: currently, BGA players don't generally play 'chop focus' and multi player games don't save 2s on chop 'early.' Most of the other conventions still work, with 'left-most focus.'
Last edited by orgle on 16 December 2023, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
groarroo

Post by groarroo »

Totally agree with the previous message. Seing ELO is really important to understand the level of our friends and adapt our way of play.
Very desapointed with the new ELO display. I think i'm going to give up Hanabi, this marvelous game... :?
The github hanabi link is the best to improve ourselves. I spents many hours on it :D
orgle

Post by orgle »

groarroo wrote: 14 December 2023, 21:08 Very desapointed with the new ELO display. I think i'm going to give up Hanabi, this marvelous game... :?
Please post your displeasure on the ELO announcement thread!

I love Hanabi -- Victum and I both pay for premium memberships purely for the privilege of creating Hanabi games -- but neither of us realized how much we relied on ELO in our decision making process until it was gone.
Last edited by orgle on 16 December 2023, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Silene

Post by Silene »

I can still see everyone's elo in the game accept screen btw. In case you want to check at least occasionally.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
orgle

Post by orgle »

dsailorgirl wrote: 13 December 2023, 02:28 I'm glad it's gone. People get very fixated in their score and forget that it's a cooperative game meant for fun. It seems to me that the loss of elo points related to disagreements in how to play leads to a lot of hostility with high scorers. Perhaps people will play more nicely or not at all when their elo (aka ego) score is irrelevant!. Good move BGA! 👏👏👏
High ranking Masters are not rude egotists intent on ruining everyone's experience with their grumpiness. They generally just find more enjoyment in learning & practicing more challenging & efficient clue techniques & hand management. Like how some people enjoy fiddling with a Rubik's cube for fun and others enter timed trials. Neither is the "right" way to play the game and enjoy one's time. The problem is that Hanabi isn't a solitary game -- we rely on the players at the table to be in sync with our clues & goals -- so you have two very different groups of players and ideologies clashing with each other.

So the source of the disagreements your experiencing... it's not ultimately caused by visible ELO -- it's caused by the players at your tables not clarifying their expected conventions ahead of time (and likely also inexperienced and/or careless players). You can certainly play with limited conventions, or play just for fun and not care if you bomb out, but you should clarify that in the Presentation field and turn on Friendly mode. I guarantee you won't get toxic Masters joining your Friendly games. But you play with ELO because everyone likes being rewarded for a job well done, even if it's just for fake internet points.

So I guess my point is that there's already a route for players who want to play a friendly haphazard game of Hanabi. Why mess with the ELO for players who enjoyed the game for the challenge of efficient clues, perfect games & 0.243 fake internet points per successful game?

ELO was a pretty effective way for people to have a sense of the type of game they're getting themselves into. Invisible ELO is going to make the disagreements you're experiencing worse. High ranking Masters, who would normally avoid games filled with 700-750 Masters, will unknowingly join a group who is not generally familiar/comfortable with the more advanced conventions. Low ranked Master are going to join games with high ranked Masters who expect everyone to be understand and properly respond to complex clues. Tensions are going to rise, and low ranked Masters are going to bear the brunt of that displeasure.

People are going to have to be *much* more clear about their expected conventions in the Presentation field. It will basically take the place of ELO. Except we'll have no clue where we actually stand at the end of the game. Maybe 29 was a good score considering the table's average ELO. Maybe it wasn't, and you just lost 6 ELO. Who knows. It's invisible.

This is not a good change.
MiniEve85

Post by MiniEve85 »

PLEAAAAAASE bring ELO back. :cry: :cry: :cry: It's a big part of the fun for me, seeing the numbers go up en down.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being focused on the score. Getting a higher score is part of playing games! And I like that. ;)
orgle

Post by orgle »

MiniEve85 wrote: 16 December 2023, 10:32 PLEAAAAAASE bring ELO back. :cry: :cry: :cry: It's a big part of the fun for me, seeing the numbers go up en down.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being focused on the score. Getting a higher score is part of playing games! And I like that. ;)
Be sure to voice your opinion about the ridiculousness of invisible ELO on the announcement thread!
Pancake_supreme

Post by Pancake_supreme »

groarroo wrote: 14 December 2023, 21:08 Totally agree with the previous message. Seing ELO is really important to understand the level of our friends and adapt our way of play.
Very desapointed with the new ELO display. I think i'm going to give up Hanabi, this marvelous game... :?
The github hanabi link is the best to improve ourselves. I spents many hours on it :D
Agreed. Although I don't think the specific number matters too much. Right now it shows a color of rank, but in game it doesn't tell you what rank that is. It would be very helpful to make that clearer.

Return to “Hanabi”