🌿ELO System Updates

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Osnofaac

Re: 🌿ELO System Updates

Post by Osnofaac »

KenFin1 wrote: 19 March 2024, 22:13
Osnofaac wrote: 18 March 2024, 17:32
6element wrote: 17 March 2024, 15:48 BTW, changing how thread views are counted is truly pathetic.
they did not change it. if you open the thread and then go back to the list of threads, you will see a +1 view. whenever you click on the thread it counts as a view. it does not represent unique views, but the amount of times a thread was open.
if you click on it 100 times a day, you will be giving 100 views to thread. people are losing interest and just giving up on complaining. most likely that is why BGA is silent, waiting for people to just give up and it is just half a dozen people complaining...
Anyway, bad communication all over the place regarding this topic, filled with false promises.
According to the forum header my last login to the forums was 5th February!? You can see from my posts that I've been on a lot more recently than that. Is that what they're getting at? Have BGA culled a load of recent activity histories and is this skewing figures on this thread?
Last visit was: 25 September 2023, 20:50 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

KenFin1 wrote: 19 March 2024, 22:13 According to the forum header my last login to the forums was 5th February!? You can see from my posts that I've been on a lot more recently than that. Is that what they're getting at? Have BGA culled a load of recent activity histories and is this skewing figures on this thread?
No. This discrepancy between your purported last login and your clearly more recent activity on the forums has been around for years.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

Meeplelowda wrote: 20 March 2024, 01:09
KenFin1 wrote: 19 March 2024, 22:13 According to the forum header my last login to the forums was 5th February!? You can see from my posts that I've been on a lot more recently than that. Is that what they're getting at? Have BGA culled a load of recent activity histories and is this skewing figures on this thread?
No. This discrepancy between your purported last login and your clearly more recent activity on the forums has been around for years.
So rather than fix the broken things and requested additional functionality BGA prioritise unwanted changes and badly tested "updates" that bork things instead of improving them. Yey, go BGA.

And while we're on it, seeing as it won't let me post because "You cannot make another post so soon after your last." Who set the forum to prevent you posting in ANY thread for a given time after your last post? I can understand within the same thread, but across the whole forum? It's almost like they don't want people to actively participate or something.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

KenFin1 wrote: 20 March 2024, 11:07 Who set the forum to prevent you posting in ANY thread for a given time after your last post? I can understand within the same thread, but across the whole forum? It's almost like they don't want people to actively participate or something.
It is an anti-spam measure in phpBB called a flood interval. It's not like they set it to 3600 seconds or something like that.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

Meeplelowda wrote: 20 March 2024, 11:16
KenFin1 wrote: 20 March 2024, 11:07 Who set the forum to prevent you posting in ANY thread for a given time after your last post? I can understand within the same thread, but across the whole forum? It's almost like they don't want people to actively participate or something.
It is an anti-spam measure in phpBB called a flood interval. It's not like they set it to 3600 seconds or something like that.
It seems far worse on this site than others forums I use.
h_illes

Post by h_illes »

lordalx wrote: 15 March 2024, 09:14 First, the introduction of an ELO reduction for consecutive wins is a positive change, from our point of view and analysis in the long run– it has become more difficult to abuse the system. Your ELO is a measure of your skill on a game against the whole community, and you should not receive any benefits from repeatedly playing against the same player(s).
There is a universal consensus among players in this thread that the ELO reduction for consecutive wins is a negative change. Are you going to reflect on that [...]?

Also, should we prepare for another 2+ months wait for any communication? It was utterly disappointing last time around...

* moderation edit: thank you for speaking properly
8964XIdada

Post by 8964XIdada »

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call out specific tables or players by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
KenFin1

Re: ELO System Updates

Post by KenFin1 »

8964XIdada wrote: 22 March 2024, 03:22 *
And mod edit incoming soon...

Please don't dilute and distract from an important subject with irrelevant posts that are both off topic and in breach of forum rules. If you think a player is cheating report it using the report player function. Public calling out on the forum is not permitted and this has no relevance to this thread.

Edit - is there a bug in the forums? The title bar has been changed in my post to Re:* and the previous one to some cheating accusation, but they are both stacked under ELO system updates. Is the forum merging posts or did the last poster do something really weird to change the title? (I have hopefully changed my header back now)
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

h_illes wrote: 21 March 2024, 12:13
lordalx wrote: 15 March 2024, 09:14 First, the introduction of an ELO reduction for consecutive wins is a positive change, from our point of view and analysis in the long run– it has become more difficult to abuse the system. Your ELO is a measure of your skill on a game against the whole community, and you should not receive any benefits from repeatedly playing against the same player(s).
There is a universal consensus among players in this thread that the ELO reduction for consecutive wins is a negative change. Are you going to reflect on that [...]?

Also, should we prepare for another 2+ months wait for any communication? It was utterly disappointing last time around...
Quoting you to see if this gets the thread title links etc to appear properly again in the latest post. Edit, and it has.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

You can change the subject of a post in a thread to whatever you like, but it defaults to re: the last post (usually the thread title).

Return to “Official announcements [en]”