🌿ELO System Updates

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Osnofaac

Re: 🌿ELO System Updates

Post by Osnofaac »

6element wrote: 17 March 2024, 15:48 BTW, changing how thread views are counted is truly pathetic.
they did not change it. if you open the thread and then go back to the list of threads, you will see a +1 view. whenever you click on the thread it counts as a view. it does not represent unique views, but the amount of times a thread was open.
if you click on it 100 times a day, you will be giving 100 views to thread. people are losing interest and just giving up on complaining. most likely that is why BGA is silent, waiting for people to just give up and it is just half a dozen people complaining...
Anyway, bad communication all over the place regarding this topic, filled with false promises.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

I am failing to see how the ELO reduction system is positive. Cheats can still prosper and beat the system which they always will, while the top and most active players get absolutely battered. The player pools simply aren't big enough to justify this, and the reducers are way too harsh and sudden. It actively discourages people from playing games.I am actively avoiding playing Heat: Pedal to the Medal at the minute, because nearly any race I play in an open field I will have the ELO reducer reduced to 0 on 1-2 players, it makes these races an enormously negative proposition. You basically encourage behaviour that you play for 1 week then stop playing for a month so all your ELO reducers disappear.

And to emphasise all this is no fault of the players, it's literally impossible for anyone active to avoid playing the same players over and over, the player pools aren't big enough for the vast majority of games to do so, and it's laughable you start getting ELO reduced straight away, and it's reduced to 0 after 7 wins, these sort of streaks would occur all the time even if 2 players were matched 50:50.

Is this really a system we want, one that actively discourages players actually playing games? You actively risk killing traffic in the long term as nobody wants to be an active player in this system.
Osnofaac

Post by Osnofaac »

RazorOz wrote: 18 March 2024, 20:48 I am failing to see how the ELO reduction system is positive. Cheats can still prosper and beat the system which they always will, while the top and most active players get absolutely battered. The player pools simply aren't big enough to justify this, and the reducers are way too harsh and sudden. It actively discourages people from playing games.I am actively avoiding playing Heat: Pedal to the Medal at the minute, because nearly any race I play in an open field I will have the ELO reducer reduced to 0 on 1-2 players, it makes these races an enormously negative proposition. You basically encourage behaviour that you play for 1 week then stop playing for a month so all your ELO reducers disappear.

And to emphasise all this is no fault of the players, it's literally impossible for anyone active to avoid playing the same players over and over, the player pools aren't big enough for the vast majority of games to do so, and it's laughable you start getting ELO reduced straight away, and it's reduced to 0 after 7 wins, these sort of streaks would occur all the time even if 2 players were matched 50:50.

Is this really a system we want, one that actively discourages players actually playing games? You actively risk killing traffic in the long term as nobody wants to be an active player in this system.
given the frequent poor server performance maybe their idea is to kill trafic so that they have a uptime of 100%! :lol:
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

Yup. I wouldn't be surprised.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

That theory doesn't really wash. Because ultimately in the long run less activity = less subscribers.
h_illes

Post by h_illes »

According to Hanlon's razor, don't attribute something to malice which can be explained by incompetence.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

RazorOz wrote: 19 March 2024, 10:26 That theory doesn't really wash. Because ultimately in the long run less activity = less subscribers.
These decisions aren't subscription based. Is anyone saying, "Oh great! Bga is stealing elo from top rated players. Let me subscribe now"? On the flip side people are canceling their premium for these decisions. I'm not totally on board with their theory either but considering that bga admitted that something as little as showing elo calculation is too much for their servers right now any server based theories can't be thrown out.
andycupid

Post by andycupid »

Aight dear gentlemen, I can feel your frustration, and I'm most certainly on board with the current consensus that the response leaves quite a bit to be desired. Still, I'd prefer not to resort to irrational language, which derails from our once noble cause.

I must chime in though, just because we are still playing doesn't mean the system is perfect, and as the admins should realize, most players here are top level competitive players, and the new system, even with the adjustments, is still a far cry from suiting any proper competition, and, unfortunately, objectively worse than the original system.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

andycupid wrote: 19 March 2024, 16:34 Aight dear gentlemen, I can feel your frustration, and I'm most certainly on board with the current consensus that the response leaves quite a bit to be desired. Still, I'd prefer not to resort to irrational language, which derails from our once noble cause.

I must chime in though, just because we are still playing doesn't mean the system is perfect, and as the admins should realize, most players here are top level competitive players, and the new system, even with the adjustments, is still a far cry from suiting any proper competition, and, unfortunately, objectively worse than the original system.
Irrational language? ! Did I miss something in 1/3 of the last few posts?
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

Osnofaac wrote: 18 March 2024, 17:32
6element wrote: 17 March 2024, 15:48 BTW, changing how thread views are counted is truly pathetic.
they did not change it. if you open the thread and then go back to the list of threads, you will see a +1 view. whenever you click on the thread it counts as a view. it does not represent unique views, but the amount of times a thread was open.
if you click on it 100 times a day, you will be giving 100 views to thread. people are losing interest and just giving up on complaining. most likely that is why BGA is silent, waiting for people to just give up and it is just half a dozen people complaining...
Anyway, bad communication all over the place regarding this topic, filled with false promises.
According to the forum header my last login to the forums was 5th February!? You can see from my posts that I've been on a lot more recently than that. Is that what they're getting at? Have BGA culled a load of recent activity histories and is this skewing figures on this thread?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”