Play boop to help science!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
kingdedede745

Re: Play boop to help science!

Post by kingdedede745 »

I want to try playing against the AI :)
Kaepo

Post by Kaepo »

sure, just ping me if you see me online! :)
ScottBrady

Post by ScottBrady »

There is already a very strong AI via AI AI. At a medium setting, one second per turn for the AI, I’ve never been able to beat it.

I’ve also run tens of thousands of AI versus AI simulations prior to it being published. I think people will be very surprised with the stats, game states, etc.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

ScottBrady wrote: 04 January 2024, 04:05 There is already a very strong AI via AI AI. At a medium setting, one second per turn for the AI, I’ve never been able to beat it.

I’ve also run tens of thousands of AI versus AI simulations prior to it being published. I think people will be very surprised with the stats, game states, etc.
What's this?
ScottBrady

Post by ScottBrady »

Ceaseless wrote: 04 January 2024, 05:09
ScottBrady wrote: 04 January 2024, 04:05 There is already a very strong AI via AI AI. At a medium setting, one second per turn for the AI, I’ve never been able to beat it.

What's this?
http://mrraow.com/index.php/aiai-home/
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

ScottBrady wrote: 04 January 2024, 05:30

What's this?
So how does one play this bot Boop? From a glance I see a reference to a zip file though never saw where it was. I probably overlooked something since I'm not familiar with these things.
AI_boop

Post by AI_boop »

I see Cameron Browne is one of the authors, I know him well!
I will definitely check this out, thanks! I should also check if someone has already implemented boop in the Ludii system (https://ludii.games/), also managed by Cameron.

PS: Are you, like, THE Scott Brady??
PPS: Damn, I wasn't paying attention and wrote this post with the AI_boop account. It's Kaepo.
ScottBrady

Post by ScottBrady »

Yep, I’m the original creator of boop.! Nice to meet you!

I believe it’s only on Ai Ai so far. It’s the only one they’ve asked for permission on.
ScottBrady

Post by ScottBrady »

Ceaseless wrote: 04 January 2024, 06:12
ScottBrady wrote: 04 January 2024, 05:30

What's this?
So how does one play this bot Boop? From a glance I see a reference to a zip file though never saw where it was. I probably overlooked something since I'm not familiar with these things.
Just unzip the file and run it from the folder. Requires Java to be installed.
Kaepo

Post by Kaepo »

ScottBrady wrote: 05 January 2024, 08:24 Yep, I’m the original creator of boop.! Nice to meet you!
It's a pleasure to chat with you, sir! And thank you very much for this game, it's so fun!
ScottBrady wrote: 05 January 2024, 08:24 I believe it’s only on Ai Ai so far. It’s the only one they’ve asked for permission on.
Oops, I see what you mean. ^^' Well, for the app that is not released yet, of course, I don't use anything copyrighted, neither the name nor the illustrations, so I didn't feel the need to ask anything to boop's editor. About the game mechanisms, even if it can't be copyrighted (hopefully), since you released the rules for free on BGG in 2020, I didn't have any moral issues to implement them either. I hope you understand.

I planned to name the app "pobo", both because it is an anagram of boop, but also because I like its transcription in Japanese (ポボ). However, if you prefer I name it gekitai²/撃退², it will be my pleasure!

EDIT: I think Ai Ai is better at boop than my AI indeed. I played 3 games against it and just won once. Too bad there are no publications about it, and that it is not open source!

Return to “boop.”