elo breakdown

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
alexwjb

elo breakdown

Post by alexwjb »

Is there a way to see the distribution of elo in games? I'm interested to see how much narrower elo is in a high-luck game like Can't Stop, vs low luck games like Agricola.
tuptim

Re: elo breakdown

Post by tuptim »

Im not sure if you'll find exactly what you are looking for. One way to get a fairly decent distribution is to look at the ELO of the people participating in tournaments. These are active players that play all other skill levels. It removes the outliers, eg. people that only play against 1 or 2 opponents and always win, picky players, etc. In Cant Stop you'll rarely see players with an elo higher than 350. I was once close to 350, but within a few days of bad luck, I was back at 180. Classic regression to the mean type scenario. IMO, Cant Stop is 80% luck, 20% skill for knowing when to stop.
A game like Patchwork, is arguably similarly opposite, 80% Skill 20% Luck. In tournaments I will regularly play opponents with 800+ ELO. I hope this information is helpful. At the very least it removes some of the distracting outliers.
jerjerjaii

Post by jerjerjaii »

no
because paid players have better dice
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

alexwjb wrote: 14 December 2023, 14:25 Is there a way to see the distribution of elo in games? I'm interested to see how much narrower elo is in a high-luck game like Can't Stop, vs low luck games like Agricola.
If you go to the game page and scroll down to "Rankings," you should see a drop down bar in the upper right of Rankings that lets you switch from this season of Arena to "All Time."

That will let you see the top 10 players ELO, and you can click through in groups of ten as long as you like.

So, for for example, in Can't Stop most of the top 10 is around low/mid 400s.
In Agricola, top 10 is mostly around low 700s.

Return to “Can't Stop”