Is it legal to go out before your partner has played from their Foot?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Shazzypaz

Is it legal to go out before your partner has played from their Foot?

Post by Shazzypaz »

I've only played Hand & Foot on BGA. I've seen rules online saying that you can only go out if your partner has played at least one turn from their Foot. On BGA, my partner recently went out while I was still in my Hand. Is this a correct implementation of the rules? Do some play that this is ok, while others require both players to be in their Foot?

Thanks.
Mealsy

Re: Is it legal to go out before your partner has played from their Foot?

Post by Mealsy »

Ignore whatever rules you have seen online regarding going out. You can be the only player at the table in your foot and go out.
mfkirkland

Post by mfkirkland »

Some consider it polite to ask your partner if you can go out. This would be the only question it is allowed to ask your partner about which cards you can play. Asking prior to going is not required. There are many variations of "house rules". So maybe your game at home has slightly different rules.
Meeple Mama

Post by Meeple Mama »

There are so many variations and house rules. I've never played where you have to wait for your partner to play from their foot, although it makes for a good strategy so they can get rid of any red 3's.
mfkirkland wrote: 20 December 2023, 17:51 Some consider it polite to ask your partner if you can go out. This would be the only question it is allowed to ask your partner about which cards you can play. Asking prior to going is not required.
My family has always played by the rule that you cannot communicate with your partner - even (especially!) to ask if it's ok to go out! I read that it's sometimes considered polite to do so here on BGA but it feels so awkward to me so I never have, and I've never been asked. I haven't played many team games here though.
bishogg

Post by bishogg »

Just win baby. If going out with your partner not in their foot is the right decision, do it. I don't ever ask. It should not be allowed.
miccmo

Post by miccmo »

In our Hodges variant, anyone can go out at any time; if playing partners in a teammate setting, both players must go out in order for the round to end. One player going out is an advantage generally, for us. If you're out and your teammate isn't, you keep drawing when it's you're turn just the same as if you did have cards, so that there is a chance you do draw something you can't play. All teammates being out of discards or playable cards is what ends the round, for us, not just one person on a team going out.

Did you mean to ask whether it is OK to lay down? Laying down, is the term we use for setting the first book or set of books down that meet the round's required score to make cards playable between teammates. In that case, it is generally polite to ask if it is OK to lay down.

Return to “Hand and Foot”