Add undo button

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Leard

Add undo button

Post by Leard »

Why are the inclusion of undo buttons so random and sporadic over the games on here?

Either commit to allowing rectons to be made, or ban them over the entire site unless a game specifically allows for it in the rules.

Since BGA seems to be going to allowing them, why doesn't this game have one?
Jellby

Re: Add undo button

Post by Jellby »

Same as tooltips, color-blind options, custom fonts, etc. It's mostly up to the developer.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27 Why are the inclusion of undo buttons so random and sporadic over the games on here?
Undo needs to be implemented individually for every game. It's not a box you check to just make it happen. Furthermore, undo is tricky to implement correctly and very bug prone. As such, it's often avoided by game developers.
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Either commit to allowing rectons to be made, or ban them over the entire site unless a game specifically allows for it in the rules.
Wish granted?
Official BGA policy states that undo should be avoided in games.
"As a rule of thumb, on BGA we advise you to not undo moves. Undo are painful for opponents, in real world and online. Some players may also use Undo to 'test' situations while they should just think instead. In many cases, proposing an 'Undo' means also adding an extra step, which is not good for the game interface."
See https://boardgamearena.com/doc/BGA_Undo_policy
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Since BGA seems to be going to allowing them, why doesn't this game have one?
In summary:
1) Undo isn't encouraged
2) And it's not trivial to implement

I developed Gaia Project and got a similar request. I don't want to volunteer a dozen hours to implement the a feature that I don't feel is needed and may introduce tons of bugs.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Kayvon wrote: 26 February 2024, 16:17
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27 Why are the inclusion of undo buttons so random and sporadic over the games on here?
Undo needs to be implemented individually for every game. It's not a box you check to just make it happen. Furthermore, undo is tricky to implement correctly and very bug prone. As such, it's often avoided by game developers.
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Either commit to allowing rectons to be made, or ban them over the entire site unless a game specifically allows for it in the rules.
Wish granted?
Official BGA policy states that undo should be avoided in games.
"As a rule of thumb, on BGA we advise you to not undo moves. Undo are painful for opponents, in real world and online. Some players may also use Undo to 'test' situations while they should just think instead. In many cases, proposing an 'Undo' means also adding an extra step, which is not good for the game interface."
See https://boardgamearena.com/doc/BGA_Undo_policy
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Since BGA seems to be going to allowing them, why doesn't this game have one?
In summary:
1) Undo isn't encouraged
2) And it's not trivial to implement

I developed Gaia Project and got a similar request. I don't want to volunteer a dozen hours to implement the a feature that I don't feel is needed and may introduce tons of bugs.
I will link to this explanation in the future after the inevitable request is made for another game.

I've been wondering whether the rise of "coding" modules in primary education where you just drag and link functional blocks like they are LEGO has led to people having a mental model that this is what real software development is like. The undo requests and the "build an AI player" seem to stem from the same misperception. At least I hope it's a misunderstanding and not simply "I actually understand how much work this would be for a volunteer and I don't care because I don't have to do it and just want to reap the benefits."
ErikLevin

Post by ErikLevin »

Meeplelowda wrote: 26 February 2024, 20:08 I've been wondering whether the rise of "coding" modules in primary education where you just drag and link functional blocks like they are LEGO has led to people having a mental model that this is what real software development is like. The undo requests and the "build an AI player" seem to stem from the same misperception. At least I hope it's a misunderstanding and not simply "I actually understand how much work this would be for a volunteer and I don't care because I don't have to do it and just want to reap the benefits."
In my experience, customers who definitely weren't young enough to have done low-code or such in primary eduction, still have very interesting conceptions of how software development works and the levels of effort required to do various things. :)
SPAZiNZ

Post by SPAZiNZ »

ive made mistakes with my thumb too many times or mistaken a move. wish there was one
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

SPAZiNZ wrote: 02 April 2024, 02:48wish there was one
Be the change you want to see in the world. BGA is very open about allowing anyone to contribute. Lend a hand and help out!

...unless you're saying you want someone to volunteer several hours to do it for you. That's not a terribly reasonable request, especially given the context in this thread.
ufm

Post by ufm »

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100682

The original developer left the building long ago.
If someone wants undo, they should take on the mantle themselves.

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”